U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:28 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,700,837 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I've enjoyed this streetcar video immensely and hope that others will too. Whoever made it did a bang-up job; this little baby zips right along, accompanied by a great soundtrack! My only disappointment is that the video ends abruptly at the Banks rather than swinging back up Main St. into the CBD and then returning to its starting point within OTR - thus omitting between 1/3rd to 1/2th of the actual route.

Synopsis:

(a) 0:28/in OTR on Elm, streetcar crosses Liberty, heading N;
(b) 0:50-1:10/streetcar heads into restricted maintenance area
while cameraman travels up and around to re-meet it on Race, heading S;

(c) 2:00-2:50/streetcar leaves OTR, cruising Central Pkwy before entering CBD;
(d) 2:50-3:55/streetcar travels Walnut through CBD;

(e) 3:55/streetcar descends to cross FWW and enter the Banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_MRRAadCQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 06:48 AM

43 posts, read 78,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
3 mile run seems pretty darn short. Sound more like a novelty to me. Are there plans to make larger and money appropriated for extension? What is difference between 'light rail' and 'streetcar'. I know when Charlotte put streetcar system in many of areas were run down where rail went thru and now it's new and nice commercial and residential properties. And they continue to extend the system. The rail benefits from tens of thousands Bankers that commute to the city every day (BOA/WF)

There is a difference between light rail and streetcar in Charlotte. The light rail is the commuter system that goes from Uptown (their downtown) to the south end of the city. I think the original blue line (south) is 10 miles and they are adding other sections that go north 10 or so miles.

The Charlotte streetcar is a system that runs east and west and connects a hospital and college campus with Uptown. It's only 1.5 miles long right now.

I think the key difference between the "light rail" and "streetcar" is speed. The Light rail can go up to 55 between long stops and the streetcar goes 15 mph. They also look different, the light rail looks more like commuter train and the streetcar looks more boxy.

I used the light rail for a few years in Charlotte to commute and I loved it.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 AM

236 posts, read 215,242 times
Generally, light rail has a grade separated, designated right a way and does not offer many points of access. A streetcar is generally for local traffic, and usually stops every 3 blocks or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or