U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,610,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
FYI, the new streetcars make almost no noise at all, except when they ring their bells. This I can tell you from my personal experience of watching four of them pass by me today along various streets downtown. These beautiful Spanish streetcars are not only utterly quiet, but also much bigger than they appear in many photos. In fact, they dwarf any Metro bus.

From the Cincinnati Business Journal:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...r-service.html
Off topic, but it's pretty amazing that we're about a month away from opening after a decade or so of debate. Too bad funding was cut for the uptown portion, though. As a UC student, it would have been amazing to be able to get from UC to the Banks without having to drive a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:43 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Unless the buildings have some kind of historical significance or are on the National Register of Historical Places, there seems to be little point in preserving them if they will only impede the new development. Ultimately the decision should be left to the property owner to decide what he or she wants to do with their own property.
I'm all for redevelopment. But not at the expense of sacrificing what makes Over The Rhine significant and special or for the short term goal of of providing construction revenue. Redevelopment to bulldoze an 140 year old building for an glass office tower you can find in any other city such as San Diego, Columbus, and Phoenix I see as going backwards in the wrong direction.. People go on vacation to tour old cities such as New Orleans, Boston, San Francisco -- European cities like Lisbon, Marseille and Venice . They don't go to new cities such as Houston, Phoenix and Charlotte. Over The Rhine is special and has the potential to become a major tourist destination because of the sum of its whole parts. Keep eliminating those parts piece meal under the guise that they impede new development, constructing new buildings in their place that stick out like a sore thumb for the sake of a short term profit you ruin the uniformity of the neighborhood. Ironically you eliminate what makes that neighborhood desirable in the first place while decreasing its potentiality as a tourist destination.

Property owners in many places do not have the right to do with their own in many places due to a term called HOA (Home Owners Agreement). When anyone who buys property in a common interest development with knowledge of its owners association's discretionary power accepts 'the risk that the power may be used in a way that benefits the commonality but harms the individual. The same principle applies when a whole neighborhood is in a district that is under the jurisdiction under a National Conversation Board. They accept the risk when they buy into the neighborhood with knowledge that the Board's power may be used in a manner that benefits the commonality but harms the individual.

Last edited by Coseau; 08-12-2016 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 AM

573 posts, read 441,773 times
The building should saved alone because of it's great ghost sign about rooms and bathrooms. Beside Joseph Auto Group bought several old building around there in the 1980s tore them all down claiming they would built an office tower. 30 years later it's still a parking lot. They could easily build a new building and still keep the Dennison. Historic Preservation is taking a new stronger life these days in Cincinnati.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:32 AM

11,802 posts, read 9,736,484 times
One thing that stands out to me every time I visit Cincinnati is its historical architecture. It's what makes the city unique. Development of unsalvagable property is fine, but you don't want to jump on the flavor of the month while sacrificing long-term value of historic structures.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,767,561 times
HOA's are not involved in this situation. As far as I'm concerned they should be abolished anyway. They are a scam and prey upon home owners that don't fully understand their rights and limitations of the contract as the statutes apply to home owners. Countless times we've heard about how these HOA's take advantage of their members and profit from it. And in other cases such as the installation of TV antennas, the rules as they are outlined violate Federal laws concerning the installation and use of TV antennas. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 allows anyone in any HOA to install and use a TV antenna at their home or condo. IMO, HOA's are borderline criminal.

To the people that "think" there is some historical significance to these buildings in OTR where the Condo's are going to be built. Here's what you do. Get a bunch of your friends to go out and raise the money to buy the properties. Make an offer to the property owners of these buildings and if they agree to sell to you, you can block the development of the Condo's and rehab the buildings.

And if you really want to find a a real Historic building worth saving and are willing to spend some time helping save it, read the following story and donate some money. It's not in Cincinnati but it is a genuine historic structure worth keeping open and preserving. The Old State House in Hartford. State budget cuts have closed it.

After 220 Years, Old State House Faces New Threats - Hartford Courant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_St...e_(Connecticut)

Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM

573 posts, read 441,773 times
Just to clarify, these Condos are being built Downtown, not in OTR. I'm all for them, I was talking about The Dennison Hotel across the street. Which you can read about here and even donate to help save it: SAVE THE DENNISON – Cincinnati Preservation Collective

Old 08-12-2016, 10:22 AM

The Dennison may be worth saving. The building in the photo in the first post that the OP suggests should be spared the wrecking ball is not. I've seen dozens of these types of structures around the region.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:58 PM

12,793 posts, read 12,775,226 times
Quote:
HOA's are not involved in this situation. As far as I'm concerned they should be abolished anyway. They are a scam and prey upon home owners that don't fully understand their rights and limitations of the contract as the statutes apply to home owners. Countless times we've heard about how these HOA's take advantage of their members and profit from it. And in other cases such as the installation of TV antennas, the rules as they are outlined violate Federal laws concerning the installation and use of TV antennas. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 allows anyone in any HOA to install and use a TV antenna at their home or condo. IMO, HOA's are borderline criminal.

To the people that "think" there is some historical significance to these buildings in OTR where the Condo's are going to be built. Here's what you do. Get a bunch of your friends to go out and raise the money to buy the properties. Make an offer to the property owners of these buildings and if they agree to sell to you, you can block the development of the Condo's and rehab the buildings.

And if you really want to find a a real Historic building worth saving and are willing to spend some time helping save it, read the following story and donate some money. It's not in Cincinnati but it is a genuine historic structure worth keeping open and preserving. The Old State House in Hartford. State budget cuts have closed it.

After 220 Years, Old State House Faces New Threats - Hartford Courant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_St...e_(Connecticut)
Eh, the attitude that unless private citizens pony up the money, they're not really "for" preservation is disingenuous at best. While the particular building in question may not be the most glamorous example of historic architecture in the area, it contributes to a fading time and esthetic that cannot be reproduced or replaced. Those who say "Well it's only one building" or "It's not that historic or nice" are completely missing the point. All those vacant lots in every city started out exactly with that apathetic reasoning, and while this particular example won't end up an empty lot, I find it hard to argue that it's actually a decent replacement for 140 years of history. Looking at the rendering, the street-level interaction seems particularly awful.

I think maybe some people in Cincy may be a little complacent because the city really does have such a large amount of historic buildings remaining compared to most other cities, and I think that doesn't create as much a sense of urgency for some in saving everthing it can. While mass, whole-block demolitions are largely a thing of the past, doing it piecemeal now that there is demand can be just as damaging long-term. It's a real shame the historic preservation board doesn't seem to get that, but as I understand it, most of these boards are just extensions of a city's development interests and are largely toothless.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:27 PM

I all boils down to this. Ultimately it is up to the property owner to decide what he or she would like to do with that building.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:47 PM

12,793 posts, read 12,775,226 times
Quote:
I all boils down to this. Ultimately it is up to the property owner to decide what he or she would like to do with that building.
I do not buy that a person's property rights should always come first, though. There are endless examples of how that could get out of hand for local residents and the greater neighborhood. I am not talking about paint color or making sure grass height is exactly 4.2" like in some HOA, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or