U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 AM

5,643 posts, read 8,749,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I do not buy that a person's property rights should always come first, though. There are endless examples of how that could get out of hand for local residents and the greater neighborhood. I am not talking about paint color or making sure grass height is exactly 4.2" like in some HOA, either.
That's because you are a collectivist. What you perceive as being in the best interest of the collective society trumps all private or individual rights and freedoms. I for one firmly believe and support the right of the individual to have control over his or her own wealth, property, life, destiny etc. The Constitution (the Law) guarantees those individual rights for a person to control their own life without interference from outside and unwanted or unwarranted influences i.e. manipulative people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
One thing that stands out to me every time I visit Cincinnati is its historical architecture. It's what makes the city unique. Development of unsalvagable property is fine, but you don't want to jump on the flavor of the month while sacrificing long-term value of historic structures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Just to clarify, these Condos are being built Downtown, not in OTR. I'm all for them, I was talking about The Dennison Hotel across the street. Which you can read about here and even donate to help save it: SAVE THE DENNISON Cincinnati Preservation Collective
Agree with both of you for a necessary refocus on the topic.

The approval of this new condo is encouraging because hopefully it will usher in a sea change along a dilapidated stretch of Main Street and help quell naysayers who say that the streetcar hasn't produced any ROI. Nevertheless, as mentioned above, there must be considerations of taste and value, in that the condo's design and purpose are both questionable. Also, we're talking about the CBD rather than OTR and a situation quite different than that surrounding the Dennison Building.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
That's because you are a collectivist. What you perceive as being in the best interest of the collective society trumps all private or individual rights and freedoms. I for one firmly believe and support the right of the individual to have control over his or her own wealth, property, life, destiny etc. The Constitution (the Law) guarantees those individual rights for a person to control their own life without interference from outside and unwanted or unwarranted influences i.e. manipulative people.
I can't wait until someone proposes a brothel or waste facility next to your home, and let's see how strongly an advocate of "do whatever you want with your own property" you really are. Everyone has their own line that they draw. The only question is what yours is. Mine happens to defer to historic buildings, usually.

Oh, and nowhere in the Constitution does it say you get to do whatever you want at all times. There are limitations with all freedoms.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I can't wait until someone proposes a brothel or waste facility next to your home, and let's see how strongly an advocate of "do whatever you want with your own property" you really are. Everyone has their own line that they draw. The only question is what yours is. Mine happens to defer to historic buildings, usually.

Oh, and nowhere in the Constitution does it say you get to do whatever you want at all times. There are limitations with all freedoms.
Your freedom starts where mine stops and vice versa. I am intelligent enough to avoid buying a property in a spot where a brothel might open. Last I knew they were not legal except perhaps in Las Vegas.

This reminds me of a good story that occurred in a wealthy suburb of Hartford called Avon. Miller's Turkey Farm which had been in the town for generations was suddenly receiving a lot of complaints from homeowners in a NEW subdivision which had sprung up near the farm. Apparently they didn't like having the farm nearby. Well many property owners in that subdivision tried to get the farm to either shut down or move. The Town of Avon told them to drop dead and essentially said "do your homework before you buy a property".

If those property owners had checked the area out BEFORE buying and also verified zoning restrictions and allowances in the area, they could have avoided a lot of problems for themselves and the Miller's. Best part of all this is that Miller's Farms is still in the very same spot to this day. LOL

Unless a nearby property owner is doing something blatantly illegal or poses a public nuisance or hazard to human life and/or property, I am a live and let live kinda guy. Stay away from my property and I will stay away from yours.

I like historic buildings as much as anyone. Hell, I wanted to be an architect when I was growing up but I didn't have the skills to master Trigonometry which is needed to put up a building that will stand. I agree that preserving legitimate historic properties or those with some kind of historical significance (such as an important event that took place in it like Appomattox Court House in Virginia) is essential. But unless someone can find that only a handful of this kind of structure still exists in the Cincinnati area or nationwide for that matter or that some important footnote in history or a major event happened there, I think the owners of the properties should be left alone to decide how to handle their own affairs. Even if something important did happen, ultimately the owner has the right to decide what to do with that property.

Best way to approach this or any potential property of this nature is to create a Trust. Get donations and then offer to buy properties you think have historical backgrounds and then preserve them accordingly.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Oh, and nowhere in the Constitution does it say you get to do whatever you want...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Your freedom starts where mine stops and vice versa. I am intelligent enough to avoid buying a property in a spot where a brothel might open. Last I knew they were not legal except perhaps in Las Vegas.

This reminds me of a good story that occurred in a wealthy suburb of Hartford called Avon...
As the OP, I don't appreciate the two of you hijacking this thread. Please stay on topic or start another thread. Thank you.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahooli View Post
Bingo. The building they are going to knock down is not all that special. It was a warehouse. An ugly one. Old is not historic.
If knocking it down means construction revenue for local companies, new use for a previously underutilized lot, and more property tax from the higher valuation of the property... why not?
Agree with you for a very needed refocus on the topic.

The fact is that the old Donatos building is history and a controversial residential structure will be taking its place. The developer thought it prudent to build one shorter condo first then a slightly taller one across the street to match, rather than taking the financial risk of simply constructing a single, 30+story condo. While many people seem well pleased with this game changing new building, some are wondering if it will lead to a wholesale knockdown restructuring all along this section of Main Street. In turn, still others are questioning its overall blandness of design. Hopefully this discussion will continue with much of this in mind.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:34 PM

390 posts, read 206,421 times
Based on the pictures the design looks pretty ugly and not in keeping with the character of the neighborhood at all. There are probably designs that would blend right in. Too bad they picked that one.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
As the OP, I don't appreciate the two of you hijacking this thread. Please stay on topic or start another thread. Thank you.
It started well before I chimed in and attempted to stay on topic. The main topic has still been my primary focus albeit to make or reinforce points on that subject, I had to detour a bit.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:30 PM

Seems to me the designs for the building look fine. And the setbacks that have been drawn into the building's design allows for the "feel" of a smaller scale and diminished impact on the surroundings around them. Very wise. In essence, this is smarter than putting up a single tall building which would throw the entire scope of the project out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood. In essence, these buildings have been designed to integrate into the streetscape and neighborhood fairly well. Nothing wrong with a variety of architectural styles from different decades and even centuries in the same neighborhood. Variety is a good thing.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I don't think the detour was started by either of us. However, welcome to the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or