Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times

Advertisements

From the Cincinnati Journal (paywall article) a graphic look at the first new condo building:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...-downtown.html

From the Cincinnati Enquirer, a detailed article (including sketch of the second condo building):
Plan for new Downtown condos approved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,460 times
They going to give the wrecking ball to the beige structure on the left for some nondescript condo you can find in the suburbs or cities of any nondescript American city. The sooner Mayor Cranley's time expires as Mayor can not come soon enough. Given that they also wanted to raze the former Dennison hotel structure in the the right of the below photo one has to assume they wanted to raze the whole block essentially changing the character of this block in Over The Rhine from a mid to late 19th century block to an ugly 21st century glass condo office tower block no different than to you can find in any suburb or sun belt city.

Last edited by Coseau; 08-11-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 09:10 AM

860 posts, read 1,357,223 times
Those prices are CRAZY!!! I guess this tower is for Reds, Bengals and CEOs's only.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 AM

610 posts, read 796,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
They going to give the wrecking ball to the beige structure on the left for some nondescript condo you can find in the suburbs or cities of any nondescript American city. The sooner Mayor Cranley's time expires as Mayor can not come soon enough. Given that they also wanted to raze the former Dennison hotel structure in the the right of the below photo one has to assume they wanted to raze the whole block essentially changing the character of this block in Over The Rhine from a mid to late 19th century block to a 21st century glass condo office tower block no different than some sun belt city.
You need to update your photo with big stupid tarp they've put over the front of the building.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
You need to update your photo with big stupid tarp they've put over the front of the building.
LOL, I heard about that. I guess the Joseph Auto group by putting that tarp over the whole front of the building is trying to make the building look so awful that it convinces the judge to side with them in the appeal case on reversing the decision by the Historic Commission Board that did not grant them permission to give it the wrecking ball.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Those prices are CRAZY!!! I guess this tower is for Reds, Bengals and CEOs's only.
Yeah, the condos are going to be priced from $600,000 to $1.2 million per unit. At those prices at least make the building exterior look attractive and worthy of those prices. Instead it looks like a ugly glass office park tower common everywhere.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:04 AM

6,336 posts, read 11,083,649 times
Unless the buildings have some kind of historical significance or are on the National Register of Historical Places, there seems to be little point in preserving them if they will only impede the new development. Ultimately the decision should be left to the property owner to decide what he or she wants to do with their own property.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM

17 posts, read 18,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Unless the buildings have some kind of historical significance or are on the National Register of Historical Places, there seems to be little point in preserving them if they will only impede the new development. Ultimately the decision should be left to the property owner to decide what he or she wants to do with their own property.
Bingo. The building they are going to knock down is not all that special. It was a warehouse. An ugly one. Old is not historic.
If knocking it down means construction revenue for local companies, new use for a previously underutilized lot, and more property tax from the higher valuation of the property... why not?

Old 08-11-2016, 03:47 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,145,017 times
As if condos didn't already suck enough, just what I want near my condo - a train making noise all the time.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
As if condos didn't already suck enough, just what I want near my condo - a train making noise all the time.
FYI, the new streetcars make almost no noise at all, except when they ring their bells. This I can tell you from my personal experience of watching four of them pass by me today along various streets downtown. These beautiful Spanish streetcars are not only utterly quiet, but also much bigger than they appear in many photos. In fact, they dwarf any Metro bus.

From the Cincinnati Business Journal:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...r-service.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati