U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,329,856 times

Advertisements

I think this may be the funniest video I have ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQtuIrgcTw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 04:27 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,054,421 times
Did anyone listen to attorney Lisa Wells on her Saturday morning show? In addition to her show she was also a frequent fill-in host for other shows.

She has been off the air since her arrest for DUI in early 2016. She had been driving erratically on I-75 north of Dayton (Piqua, IIRC) and found to have prescription pills that weren't prescribed to her spilled across the seat of her car. Local news stations posted video of her walking on the side of the highway and telling the officer she worked for WLW.

The video showing how impaired she was was played over and over, and was all over social media.

WLW said that she wouldn't be back on the air until the court case played out.

She was a call in guest on Scott Sloan's show last week, and she showed absolutely no remorse for her actions. She blamed "Big pharma" for her actions and stated that there was absolutely no reason to be embarrassed because it was the fault of "Big Pharma."

I though this was disgusting because prior to her incident she had repeatedly said in her show that she would refuse to defend anyone who attempted to retain her services for driving under the influence of drugs. She ranted repeatedly about how those driving under the influence of drugs endanger everyone on the road.

I hope that WLW doesn't give her the opportunity to return to the airwaves.

"The eight charges include four counts of felony drug possession, one count of misdemeanor drug possession, OVI and two other misdemeanors, according to WCPO media partner the Journal-News.The eight charges include four counts of felony drug possession, one count of misdemeanor drug possession, OVI and two other misdemeanors, according to WCPO media partner the Journal-News."

Last edited by missik999; 06-26-2017 at 05:11 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 05:59 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,103,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Did anyone listen to attorney Lisa Wells on her Saturday morning show? In addition to her show she was also a frequent fill-in host for other shows.

She has been off the air since her arrest for DUI in early 2016. She had been driving erratically on I-75 north of Dayton (Piqua, IIRC) and found to have prescription pills that weren't prescribed to her spilled across the seat of her car. Local news stations posted video of her walking on the side of the highway and telling the officer she worked for WLW.

The video showing how impaired she was was played over and over, and was all over social media.

WLW said that she wouldn't be back on the air until the court case played out.

She was a call in guest on Scott Sloan's show last week, and she showed absolutely no remorse for her actions. She blamed "Big pharma" for her actions and stated that there was absolutely no reason to be embarrassed because it was the fault of "Big Pharma."

I though this was disgusting because prior to her incident she had repeatedly said in her show that she would refuse to defend anyone who attempted to retain her services for driving under the influence of drugs. She ranted repeatedly about how those driving under the influence of drugs endanger everyone on the road.

I hope that WLW doesn't give her the opportunity to return to the airwaves.

"The eight charges include four counts of felony drug possession, one count of misdemeanor drug possession, OVI and two other misdemeanors, according to WCPO media partner the Journal-News.The eight charges include four counts of felony drug possession, one count of misdemeanor drug possession, OVI and two other misdemeanors, according to WCPO media partner the Journal-News."
It's getting pretty difficult for me to listen to an entire talk show on WLW these days. Ever since Darryl Parks left the content of the shows has taken a turn for the worse. Sensationalizing issues like the one you mentioned, the Tensing trial, and so on. The list is endless. They spend less time covering important local issues or those of national interest and spend too much time on "if it bleeds it leads" topics. Police Blotter radio is what I call it.

Thankfully I can find some other talk stations to listen to in addition to WLW thanks to my being within earshot of Chicago each weekday due to my job. I still listen to WLW for news, traffic and sports and still listen to specific talk segments on most shows during the day too. But the moment the Tensing trial comes up or something of a similar vein, I immediately tune out. No thanks.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,054,421 times
I travel for work, and listening to talk radio keeps me alert in long drives. But more often than not I find myself changing the station from WLW.

Some of their radio hosts are just terrible. I never liked Marc Amazon and never listened to his show at all. Sterling is simply the worst host I have ever heard on a major radio station.

I can actually tolerate listening to Bill Cunningham, his radio personality is nothing more than acting, playing a roll, putting on a personality that will engage, enrage or entertain his listeners to keep them tuning in.

I just change the channel when he gets onto certain topics.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:07 AM

880 posts, read 712,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It's getting pretty difficult for me to listen to an entire talk show on WLW these days. Ever since Darryl Parks left the content of the shows has taken a turn for the worse. Sensationalizing issues like the one you mentioned, the Tensing trial, and so on.
At the end of the day, I couldn't care less about any of the issues of the day they discuss on talk radio, with the exception of what is going on right now in Washington. (This coup stuff is very scary business.) I listen to talk radio because I enjoy the banter and the humor. And Darryl Parks' sensibilities when it came to humor were very similar to mine.

I love sensationalism when it's interesting, but it's annoying when it is forced. In boring cities like Cincinnati, there is very little you can be sensational about without it sounding contrived. (What are you going to talk about, a big scandal at the sanitation department?) That's the sign of a great place to live, but it makes for boring radio.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 AM

880 posts, read 712,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I travel for work, and listening to talk radio keeps me alert in long drives. But more often than not I find myself changing the station from WLW.

Some of their radio hosts are just terrible. I never liked Marc Amazon and never listened to his show at all. Sterling is simply the worst host I have ever heard on a major radio station.

I can actually tolerate listening to Bill Cunningham, his radio personality is nothing more than acting, playing a roll, putting on a personality that will engage, enrage or entertain his listeners to keep them tuning in.

I just change the channel when he gets onto certain topics.
I'm mostly into the theatrical aspect of media, so I listen for presentation skills and humor. And that's what really has made Rush Limbaugh so popular. His show is formatted like Top-40 radio from the 1970's.

But if you listen to his announcing skills when he does commercials, such as for Life Lock, he's not really that good at being an announcer. (I can't believe I'm saying this about Rush Limbaugh.) But when it comes to holding court for three hours every day talking about the issues of the day and making it sound like it's interesting, he is the best.

WLW has a lot of second-rate talent these days, IMO. Not the best voices or theatrical skills and with the exception of Eddie and Tracy, not much humor either.

Did not like Amazon - slick and boring.

Haven't listened to McConnell since he's been back.

Cunningham bores me - I don't really want to listen to an attorney drone on and on all afternoon, but I do like his Sunday night show. It seems to move a lot faster.

I've always liked Sterling, but he's quirky so that makes him hard to make him fit in over there. He is a more natural fit as an alternative rock DJ. (He's kind of like Joel Riley on WTVN. He is an awful morning host - I can't stand him. But he's a pretty decent DJ.)

Last edited by PerryMason614; 06-26-2017 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,724,918 times
No third trial, glad he made the right decision.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,103,313 times
Hopefully the topics on the talk shows on WLW can be redirected to more important issues going on in the local region. Month after month of this has led me to tune into a few other stations during day parts while I am driving around. The non stop police blotter subjects on the station has gotten out of hand. Wonder if ratings have dipped as a result? I don't have access to the Arbitron ratings these days or I would check.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:11 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,724,918 times
Quote:
Hopefully the topics on the talk shows on WLW can be redirected to more important issues going on in the local region. Month after month of this has led me to tune into a few other stations during day parts while I am driving around. The non stop police blotter subjects on the station has gotten out of hand. Wonder if ratings have dipped as a result? I don't have access to the Arbitron ratings these days or I would check.
WLW has a very loyal audience, plus sporting events help out ratings as well.

RADIO ONLINE

Old 07-18-2017, 07:55 PM

243 posts, read 245,663 times
Quote:
The noon to 3pm slot sucks, it's no longer a 'talk' show. There is no interaction between host and listeners. Cunningham's diatribes and his stable of 'guests' have become tedious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati