U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,270 times

Advertisements

Sorry to start a new thread (I've seen a few threads about Madisonville) but I would like to get some feedback from current and former residents of Madisonville. I am a 31 year old male and my girlfriend and I currently live in Oakley. We love it here but it is becoming too expensive for just a small 2 bedroom apartment. We figured why not look for a rentable house for the same price in a different neighborhood. We want to stay on the east side and we recently found a house in the 5300 block of Ravenna St in Madisonville. We both love the house because it's been recently been completely renovated and is renting for a great price. That's when my ears perked up and I thought "Maybe it's cheap for a reason."

Anyways, has anyone experienced this area of Madisonville? I know Ravenna is one street over from Whetsel and I've heard nothing but sketchy things about Whetsel at Madison. Again, the 5300 block of Ravenna. I'm just looking for some feedback before committing to moving.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,621,867 times
Madisonville can be cheaper than Oakley and you are still close to Oakley but also close to Mariemont. We lived on Bramble and it was ok. Id move back if i had to but im not sure it would be my 1st choice.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 AM

2,594 posts, read 3,740,131 times
Madisonville is a whole lot less affluent than Oakley, despite similar housing stock and convenience of location.

From the 1960's to the 1980's, Madisonville and Oakley were somewhat similar in that they were both very working class neighborhoods, although Madisonville was predominantly black and Oakley was mostly white. In the 90's and early 2000's, Oakley went through a major transformation, it became a desirable place for young college grads, and rents started going up. Over the last 10 years or so it has stabilized into a solid desirable neighborhood, with the associated premium on rents and housing.

Madisonville has never been able to attract the transformative investment that Oakley has. While Madisonville has seen tremendous investment along the Red Bank Road corridor as well as some new apartments, it has not seen the small-medium business development in its central business district (Madison and Whetsel) that would trigger a big rise in real estate. Medpace is a big deal but it is somewhat separated from the main part of the neighborhood.

The area around Ravenna is certainly not affluent at this point, but I wouldn't say it is particularly dangerous. It could be a nice and convenient place to live, but the feeling on the street will be nothing like Oakley.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:12 AM

649 posts, read 597,025 times
Madisonville is certainly trending upward. That said, the Madison Place part is the more well regarded neighborhood. That part of Ravenna seems just ok, the Y being a block over is good for the area. The futher you go toward Kenwood road above Bramble the "worse" it gets. You can look at the crimemap websites to see if there is any ongoing concern around there. Like everywhere in Cincinnati your block may be good but two blocks away is bad.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:06 AM

75 posts, read 58,463 times
I bought a house in Madisonville this summer and moved there from Oakley. I have not had any problems at all since moving other than the little kids on the street love to run around all over my property. On my street alone there has been a lot of people flipping homes. I think many people are being starting to be priced out of Hyde Park/ Oakley and are starting to move into Madisonville.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:04 PM

34,382 posts, read 63,611,812 times
That part of Ravenna is OK; the rec center nearby is a nice perk. I loved that place when I lived in the area.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 5,654 times
I work for the neighborhood redevelopment corporation, so obviously I have a bias in favor of people moving to Madisonville....

Chemistry-Guy was right about a lot, and would have been spot on one short year ago about businesses in the Madison & Whetsel area, but this year alone, 11 new businesses have opened in that general area. (To be fair, two have closed.) You may have noticed the demolition at Madison & Whetsel. A major developer, partnering with us and the City, is waiting to hear if they get their tax credits to go head with a huge development there. We're talking about two blocks of retail, office and 185 apartments (80% market rate/20% "workforce rate") as well as the overhaul of the Madison Center. We should know in a couple of months if they get their funding. We are building two brand new homes on that block of Ravenna next year, and up to 6 more scattered around the neighborhood. We're also working hard with Medpace to be sure that their development is as connected as possible with the heart of the neighborhood - things like streetscape, bike lanes, unified branding and possibly even public art. Their development is going to be amazing.

Madisonville has always been diverse, racially and economically with home sale prices averaging about $75k, but reaching $800k on top of the hill - that's still Madisonville. We've been seeing a lot of home selling for above asking price this year, and moving quickly, so we're really on the move here. We've been on the sidelines for many years, but "Madisonville is certainly trending upward."

Our organization is called the Madisonville Community Urban Redevelopment Corp., so anyone with questions is encouraged to look us up online and give us a call or a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati