Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,368,594 times

Advertisements

Yes, home construction is entirely different in the Depression than in the Gay 90's. Night and day different. Materials, craftsmanship, ostentation, architecture and whatever else you can think of. Some of NA homes will be in a little disrepair.

Pleasant Ridge's worst areas are safer than South Avondale's.

Pleasant Ridge's best area are about the same as North Avondale.

Both are unacceptable to me. Mt. Lookout is actually safe.

People walk to the corner of Ridge and Montgomery. There are amenities there.

I wouldn't walk that block if I could avoid it. But, it is not the same as walking into Avondale at, say, Greenwood and Reading.

I don't know about Redfin or why their "estimate" would matter. I quoted actual sold prices for sales on GV in the past year. I can show you how to do that if you want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 PM

53 posts, read 69,807 times
Wilson, again thanks for the feedback. I would've thought PR especially on Grand Vista would be much safer than North Avondale's prime streets. I must be getting a skewed perception since you see the news stories about all the crime in Avondale. It's hard for someone that hasn't lived there to understand NA is different than Avondale.

I have a Redfin account and when I login, I can see sold prices. What site do you use? Maybe there's a better way. Those were 3 homes that sold for under $430k since 2015 on Grand Vista.

I'll be in town later this week so I'll visit these areas in person. Excited to check them out.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor001 View Post

I have a Redfin account and when I login, I can see sold prices. What site do you use? Maybe there's a better way. Those were 3 homes that sold for under $430k since 2015 on Grand Vista.
You won't find any of these nice houses for sale.

As for pricing, go to the Hamilton County Auditor site. Search the street Grand Vista without a house number, select a house number you like, open the Summary page and click on the "Sales" hyperlink in the summary page Appraisal Area box. That will get you the Auditor's Neighborhood sales report. In this case for neighborhood #510. It allows you to see surrounding streets and can be reconfigured by the column headings or imported to Excel.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:15 AM

610 posts, read 790,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yes, home construction is entirely different in the Depression than in the Gay 90's. Night and day different. Materials, craftsmanship, ostentation, architecture and whatever else you can think of. Some of NA homes will be in a little disrepair.

Pleasant Ridge's worst areas are safer than South Avondale's.

Pleasant Ridge's best area are about the same as North Avondale.

Both are unacceptable to me. Mt. Lookout is actually safe.

People walk to the corner of Ridge and Montgomery. There are amenities there.

I wouldn't walk that block if I could avoid it. But, it is not the same as walking into Avondale at, say, Greenwood and Reading.

I don't know about Redfin or why their "estimate" would matter. I quoted actual sold prices for sales on GV in the past year. I can show you how to do that if you want to know.
You can walk anywhere in Pleasant Ridge. We have a running/walking group that goes all over the neighborhood, I myself have walked my dog down many streets. It's common to see kids riding their bikes around. Lots of foot traffic with Mollys, Emanu, Coffee Exchange, 9 Giant, Overlook, Gaslight, PRC and Taco Casa. Not to mention the hair places, record store and comic book store. Plus, with the new cheese place, Grand Central Deli and Casa Fuegero opening up this year will only add the all the foot traffic. Walking along Pleasant Ridge's main drag is just as safe as walking through Mt Lookout Square. I shouldn't be surprised you would have these untrue beliefs since you don't think there's a safe gas station near NA.

OP, if you want to truly learn about Pleasant Ridge, PM me.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
You can walk anywhere in Pleasant Ridge. We have a running/walking group that goes all over the neighborhood, I myself have walked my dog down many streets. It's common to see kids riding their bikes around. Lots of foot traffic with Mollys, Emanu, Coffee Exchange, 9 Giant, Overlook, Gaslight, PRC and Taco Casa. Not to mention the hair places, record store and comic book store. Plus, with the new cheese place, Grand Central Deli and Casa Fuegero opening up this year will only add the all the foot traffic. Walking along Pleasant Ridge's main drag is just as safe as walking through Mt Lookout Square. I shouldn't be surprised you would have these untrue beliefs since you don't think there's a safe gas station near NA.

OP, if you want to truly learn about Pleasant Ridge, PM me.

I didn't want this argument with you. The OP seems to likes elegant houses. There aren't any in PR.

But, Pleasant Ridge is not as safe as Mt. Lookout, or Hyde Park. PR has its own drug gangs, there was a homicide practically at the corner of Orchard and Montgomery. There are holdups all along montgomery Road. Look at the crime mapping.

And, the gas station at Dana and Montgomery you mention above is enjoying a bit of a respite since it was rebuilt, but has a long history of car jackings and holdups.

I get that you like PR. If one is looking for a diverse (50-50) neighborhood, it is probably as good as it gets. But don't delude yourself about it being the equivalent of a truly safe neighborhood. Its not.

Last edited by Wilson513; 01-18-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I didn't want this argument with you. The OP seems to likeselegant houses. There aren't any in PR.

But, Pleasant Ridge is not as safe as Mt. Lookout, or Hyde Park. PR has its own drug gangs, there was a homicide practically at the corner of Orchard and Montgomery. There are holdups all along montgomery Road. Look at the crime mapping.

And, the gas station at Dana and Montgomery is enjoying a bit of a respite since it was rebuilt, but has a long history of car jackings and holdups.

I get that you like PR. If one is looking for a diverse (50-50) neighborhood, it is probably as good as it gets. But don't delude yourself about it being the equivalent of a truly safe neighborhood. Its not.
We'll just agree to disagree since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, nearly everything you just said is untrue. But oh well, I'll let you believe it. Have a happy hump day, Wilson.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,955,317 times
I'm happy that this discussion is ongoing. IMO there's a key to finding a home in an older, inner ring suburb where the likelihood of property crime is minimized, and that lies less in looking at the overall neighborhood than in looking at specifically where the house is within the neighborhood. A generalization, but I think it would at least apply to the two neighborhoods being discussed. I suggest focusing on houses that are not on a through street, and in fact I consider something buried in a series of cul-de-sacs ideal. I believe there are psychological and logistical barriers to things like break-ins in such areas, in large part because it's easier for property owners to notice unfamiliar or outside traffic on the street.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
We'll just agree to disagree since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, nearly everything you just said is untrue. But oh well, I'll let you believe it. Have a happy hump day, Wilson.

Well, I admit not to having first hand information, but you too can search on "Spotcrime" and see the plethora of crime, even violent crime occurring every day along Montgomery Road.

Try this:

https://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati#45213

Old 01-18-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm happy that this discussion is ongoing. IMO there's a key to finding a home in an older, inner ring suburb where the likelihood of property crime is minimized, and that lies less in looking at the overall neighborhood than in looking at specifically where the house is within the neighborhood. A generalization, but I think it would at least apply to the two neighborhoods being discussed. I suggest focusing on houses that are not on a through street, and in fact I consider something buried in a series of cul-de-sacs ideal. I believe there are psychological and logistical barriers to things like break-ins in such areas, in large part because it's easier for property owners to notice unfamiliar or outside traffic on the street.

^This is completely correct.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Well, I admit not to having first hand information, but you too can search on "Spotcrime" and see the plethora of crime, even violent crime occurring every day along Montgomery Road.

Try this:

https://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati#45213
These sites have spotty reliability at best. Here's the actual crime report for PR from our neighborhood CPD contact (along with several other things going on in the neighborhood):

https://media.wix.com/ugd/c25d94_f5d...583f6a1f2c.pdf

Edit: But yes, we should focus on NA and if OP has anymore questions. Plus, I think I'll be busy the rest of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati