Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 7,180 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Having the search narrowed to a few areas helps a ton. I appreciate the suggestion of getting a realitor. That is something I didn't consider before. Now I just have to start looking for a job for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,994,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri28 View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Having the search narrowed to a few areas helps a ton. I appreciate the suggestion of getting a realitor. That is something I didn't consider before. Now I just have to start looking for a job for myself.
Good for you, in that you're narrowing your family's search and thinking about getting a realtor. Just from what I'm hearing you say, a youth oriented social life (especially nightlife), nearness to the workplace and spending less than $2500 are all of concern - am I right?

If so, do these things: (a) eliminate Mount Lookout and Mariemont from consideration - they're not what you're looking for; (b) decide whether proximity to either food store/retail shopping or urban living/ night life is most important - Hyde Park excels in the first, downtown nails it in the second; (c) disregard the notion that you must spend $2500/mo. in order to live well or enhance a professional career in Cincinnati; rely on your own good judgment, knowing that realtors and certain others may try to convince you that you must.

Lastly, consider renting on a short term basis to allow yourselves time to become familiar with the city and, as you both make new friends and acquaintances through work and elsewhere, you'll no doubt get additional leads.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,356,547 times
Quote:

What do you do?

Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Good for you, in that you're narrowing your family's search and thinking about getting a realtor. Just from what I'm hearing you say, a youth oriented social life (especially nightlife), nearness to the workplace and spending less than $2500 are all of concern - am I right?

If so, do these things: (a) eliminate Mount Lookout and Mariemont from consideration - they're not what you're looking for; (b) decide whether proximity to either food store/retail shopping or urban living/ night life is most important - Hyde Park excels in the first, downtown nails it in the second; . . . . .
This is just plain silly. Mt. Lookout is exactly what this person needs and Mariemont not far behind. Both have ton of restaurants, bars, parks trails, stores, shopping food, and other activities. The pay dog park is right outside MAriemont for crying out loud and Armleder Dog Park is mid way between Mt. Lookout and Mariemont. One can live in walking distance to Mt. Lookout square where there are what? a dozen trendy restaurants and five nightlife bars? And, the number of P&G people that live in Mariemont, one cannot begin to count. No one with a Great Dane will ever live downtown unless they are pet abusers or ditch the dog. It just can't be done.

This is within walking distance from Mariemont Square:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asB1Gsb80dk

This is maybe 1000 yards from Mt. Lookout:

http://www.greatparks.org/features-f...leder-dog-park

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-01-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
What do you do?
Currently I'm a Business Analyst. I'm also experienced in accounting/tax and supply chain/logistics. I'm not to worried about finding a job, just finding one that is the right fit for me.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
This is just plain silly. Mt. Lookout is exactly what this person needs and Mariemont not far behind. Both have ton of restaurants, bars, parks trails, stores, shopping food, and other activities. The pay dog park is right outside MAriemont for crying out loud and Armleder Dog Park is mid way between Mt. Lookout and Mariemont. One can live in walking distance to Mt. Lookout square where there are what? a dozen trendy restaurants and five nightlife bars? And, the number of P&G people that live in Mariemont, one cannot begin to count. No one with a Great Dane will ever live downtown unless they are pet abusers or ditch the dog. It just can't be done.

This is within walking distance from Mariemont Square:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asB1Gsb80dk

This is maybe 1000 yards from Mt. Lookout:

Armleder Dog Park - Great Parks of Hamilton County
I will say, currently I have a 5 minute commute from work. I have gotten pretty spoiled by that and I know I won't want to have a commute longer than 15-20 minutes.

I don't think living in the city would be completely out of the question.. We take our dogs to dog daycare during the day while we are at work and would do the same after we move. We would never get rid of our dogs and we always have their best interests in mind.

The most important things to us would be:

an easy commute to work

Relatively easy to take the dogs out to go to the bathroom (patch of grass near by, we don't need a yard)

Within a 5 minute drive to a gym, grocery store, somewhere to eat

We are very active and social but that doesn't mean going out to clubs. A fun bar nearby would be great. I'm fine with taking an uber to go out for night life.

I put $2500 so that people didn't automatically rule out places for us due to budget. We would be very happy to find something for less that fit all of our needs.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Currently I'm a Business Analyst. I'm also experienced in accounting/tax and supply chain/logistics. I'm not to worried about finding a job, just finding one that is the right fit for me.

The reason I asked was only for location.

Large CPA firms, banks brain centers, and investment banking are still mostly in the downtown area.
Non-cpa consultancy firms are more dispersed.

Mariemont, Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout are all within 15 minutes of downtown. P&G is conveniently located on the eastern perimeter of downtown. The first place you get to coming in from those suburbs.

You might be amused by my morning commute. This is actually a weekday not a Holiday at commute time. Through Ault Park. I clipped it a little, but it is 10 minutes more or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVYncKxQc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDtYiZ1D4I

Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Welcome to Cincy!

Doing a brief scan of the thread, I saw a number of great suggestions like Hyde Park/Mt Lookout, Mt. Adams, and Mariemont.

But I did not see Clifton Gaslight. I think you'd probably like it there a lot too and it's worth a careful look.

Beyond those, I'd agree as a young couple/no kids with dogs looking for a more social area those areas would be your best bets.

Runners-up would include Northside (prob too hippie/hipster), Pleasant Ridge (prob too "lower class" to be honest), Oakley (maybe a bit too young/single YP-ish), OTR (prob not enough space for the big dogs even with that budget), Covington's Mainstrausse Village area (prob lacks the community feel), Wyoming (prob too family oriented) and Ft. Thomas (prob too far away).

Again, I'd call them the "usual suspects" for the best places to move in Cincy...

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,994,294 times
Quote:
This is just plain silly. Mt. Lookout is exactly what this person needs and Mariemont not far behind. Both have ton of restaurants, bars, parks trails, stores, shopping food, and other activities. The pay dog park is right outside MAriemont for crying out loud and Armleder Dog Park is mid way between Mt. Lookout and Mariemont. One can live in walking distance to Mt. Lookout square where there are what? a dozen trendy restaurants and five nightlife bars? And, the number of P&G people that live in Mariemont, one cannot begin to count. No one with a Great Dane will ever live downtown unless they are pet abusers or ditch the dog. It just can't be done...
You seem determined to attract the OP to Mt. Lookout and Mariemont, distorting the reality of what is. Compelled by your personal agenda, you have also ignored what they have plainly stated as their needs/wishes. Considering what they have shared about themself and their SO, Hyde Park should remain for consideration, but neither one of the other two. Here's why...

MARIEMONT: Driving time (clearly stated as 20-minutes or less) knocks this one right off the table, period! Maybe the distance can be driven under the most ideal conditions, but never, ever routinely every single work day under all the varied traffic and weather complications that will present themselves along one of the most troublesome thoroughfares leading in and out of downtown - Columbia Parkway.

MOUNT LOOKOUT: Without question, one of the city's most desirable neighborhoods, yet one not necessarily suitable to the needs/wishes of the OP. First of all, this staid community, complacent in their accomplishments and affluence, simply does not possess "a ton of restaurants, bars, parks trails, stores, shopping food, and other activities." Yes, Mt. Lookout Square does have a lot of bars and eateries for its size, but, unfortunately, clustered at a roundabout with minimal parking. Contrast this quaint neighborhood center with Cincinnati's downtown core and there's simply no comparison. However, if one feels strongly that Columbia-Tusculum down on Eastern Avenue should be added to the mix, fine. Nevertheless, all these venues combined (parading as some sort of extensive entertainment district) could be dropped into just a single quadrant of downtown.

Next, major food and retail shopping - just where is it right here? Nowhere. The residents of Mt. Lookout drive to Hyde Park, Norwood and Oakley to meet such needs as these, if not farther to Kenwood. Walkability, yes, but only marginally so because of its hills (otherwise, why the name Mount Lookout?) However, this would not be a concern in the downtown area, which offers quick and easy access to Washington Park (with its own dog park), Ziegler Park, the Banks and Eden Park (especially popular Mirror Lake). Such select offerings hardly sound like "dog abuse" to me.

Lastly, your enigmatic insistence that they live in a neighborhood dominated by P&G employees is questionable. Can you explain exactly why a promising P&G employee needs to live next to another P&G employee? Do they work from home?

Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM

Another question if you all don't mind.

I did find out that the Cincinnati Sizzle (women's tackle football team) practices near North College Hill. So I will be driving out there a few times a week for practice. How is the traffic to that area around 6pm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati