Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:54 PM

224 posts, read 297,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Frankly this kind of thing makes me really think hard about living here. I grew up here and have repeatedly detailed on this forum my experiences with crime in Cincinnati. From a neighbor murdered on my front walk to getting robbed at knife point to having my car broken into over and over and over again. This forum continues to tell people that if they don't do X they won't suffer violence. Usually it is "don't do/buy drugs" or "don't associate with people who do X."

You have to know that this is not normal. I had no idea how not normal it was until I left. We are powerless short of voting with our feet and creating more blight. Acting like it is a policing problem and not a community problem has let us down.
I had wanted to move back to the city after the youngest graduates high school (I live in the 'burbs now). Not necessarily downtown, but somewhere close like Norwood or maybe Bellevue in KY. After things like this, I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 03:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Viva la gentrification!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I had wanted to move back to the city after the youngest graduates high school (I live in the 'burbs now). Not necessarily downtown, but somewhere close like Norwood or maybe Bellevue in KY. After things like this, I'm not so sure.

As regular readers know, I'm pretty risk-averse. That said, this incident apparently happened in a notable drug-dealing, gun-slinging hotspot. I'm convinced that by and large there still are plenty of safe inner-ring neighborhoods. Cincinnati being what it is, some of these places are street-by-street, like Northside for example. And some of them have pockets of crime and danger. But by and large, there should be no wholesale reason for you to rethink your idea of moving in closer. Just use some common sense and do some research before you settle in someplace.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 AM

Many people do not understand that the police are not allowed to just drive down the street, see a guy with two cell phones to his ears and a bulge in his waistband and roust him. The moronic Mayor signed the even more moronic collaborative agreement (read: if we dare to stop and frisk a black person we will do an hour of paperwork and maybe get fired if the reasons are not good enough). Since then, violence has skyrocketed because police cannot use intuition to keep order.

Hence, the need for 911 calls and complaints.

If one calls 911 and gives their name and says they saw drug boyz with a gun, or exchanging white packets for cash, or punching someone, the police are then allowed to go to the scene, stop and frisk the perps described by the caller and 9 out of 10 times take the guns and drugs and arrest the perps.

People do not understand this. And, some people are afraid. I'm not afraid, so I call them every time I see them. It justifies the police stop and usually they find what we all know is there.

Now it is explained, get on the phone.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times
New things; new conference....

Prosecutor: Video captured execution of driver who accidentally hit child

Old 04-13-2017, 06:04 AM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
I have never seen something play out with so much mis-information. Now the guy did not get out of the car? Was not face down in the street? How does so much mis-information get out there? Do you think there were really people telling false eye witness stories- "I saw him dragged out of the car, his hands were behind his head, yeah yeah they made them lay in the street. . ."

It is almost as if the killers or people who were there were bragging and embellishing it into a big movie scene. Or the reporting has been citing "sources" who were not actually there.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Deters said he would have preferred to seek the death penalty against these scum. Too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati