Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 02:14 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
How bad is the fiscal condition of the city? I have not been able to find as much unbiased info as I'd like. I live in one of the worse cities and states for fiscal health at the moment. I really regret leaving Cinti 21 years ago, and if I can find a decent paying job in my field of printing I'd be back in a heartbeat.
I'm in a similar situation as you. Left the Hartford, CT area years ago for the same reasons. Lack of decent jobs and the fiscal health of the city and state were and are still bad. Not as bad as IL and Chicago but bad enough to the point that both Hartford and the State of CT could end up bankrupt.

The job market in the Cincy area is quite strong right now. I am seriously leaning towards finding a new job here despite the fact I've been with my present employer for 11 years. Have been commuting to Indianapolis from northern KY for a while now and it is getting old especially when I have had to endure a lot of crap from the people in Indy.

Do your skills in the printing industry transfer to other industries? That would be the first question I would ask myself. I suspect if you change your sights a bit you should be able to find work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 04:01 PM

224 posts, read 297,289 times
It's not necessarily a strong job market, it's more of a limited pool of potential employees or employable adults to draw from. Once you take people who are definitely out the job market (retirees, people on disability) and people who will have a hard time getting low wage jobs, if even that (people w/ criminal records, people who can't pass a drug test), then employers are left with only so many folks to choose from.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:35 PM

235 posts, read 287,677 times
Not per se, but I have a fairly wide skill set in the field. I really enjoy it because I always have a feeling of accomplishment when I leave work. I've been working for the same guy for 17 years, so I'm committed. At any rate though, just how bad off is the city? Either I'm not looking in the right places, or the situation is not so bad there are organized information sources like we have here. I'd hate to move there and property taxes double in 5 years, as they are going to have to do here.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
I'm not qualified to comment on the job market, nor on what may happen in 5 years WRT property taxes. I do have two suggestions, however. If you come here, avoid buying property within the City of Cincinnati itself. The municipal government is riddled with fraud, waste and abuse and it's an entrenched system that will probably never get any better. Don't buy into what you may read here that "if only Candidate X is elected everything will be wonderful." It won't. And if property taxes per se are a concern (beyond their secondary effect on the overall economy), then look to buy a home in one of the Northern Kentucky counties adjoining the Ohio River--Campbell, Kenton or Boone. Property tax is a LOT lower there, and most areas are within commutable distance for work to Cincinnati.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:03 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
^^^
Yes, property taxes on the KY side are much lower. My tax bill in Covington is far lower than it would be for a comparable small home in Hamilton County.

Thunderstruck. Also, bear in mind many jobs these days are not even advertised in the print media anymore. Many are posted online or via internal company sources only. I do hear a number of ad's on WILW AM 700 radio each week for area companies that are hiring. I do see a lot of Help Wanted signs out these days both in Indianapolis and the Cincinnati area.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
For anyone getting involved in this discussion, please be aware that the topic of the thread is Cincinnati's job market. Other topics of interest, including the fiscal condition of the city, should be addressed elsewhere.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
It's not necessarily a strong job market, it's more of a limited pool of potential employees or employable adults to draw from. Once you take people who are definitely out the job market (retirees, people on disability) and people who will have a hard time getting low wage jobs, if even that (people w/ criminal records, people who can't pass a drug test), then employers are left with only so many folks to choose from.
I have an entirely different opinion because the job market can be looked at from opposite perspectives - either that of the employer or that of the job seeker. Therefore, I feel that the factors you've mentioned work strongly in Cincinnati's favor. From an employer's POV, more jobs with fewer people to fill them is a critical liability, but from a job seeker's POV, it's a distinct asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati