Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 02:37 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times

Advertisements

Our last several trips downtown for dinner (Jeff Ruby's, Nada, Nicholsons and the Metropole) and to the Aronoff on two occasions were disturbing.

It seems that Cincinnati is not stopping panhandlers from bothering pedestrians. One guy followed us from Nada to the entrance of the 580 Building and finally started yelling at us. This is just plain wrong!

Is anyone else as pissed off as I am at the lack of protection? (There were plenty of cops, 2 on bicycles and one directing traffic at the crosswalk--They just ignored what was going on around them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 03:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
You have to complain to the cops. They are not allowed to initiate it.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Interesting!

They should be proactive

Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Interesting!

They should be proactive
In my world they would be. But the real world is a bunch of crybaby liberals who think that every bum should get to commit an assault before being reined in. And, the Collaborative Agreement that was signed with the justice department makes the police spend a half hour on paperwork every time they initiate a contact.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:55 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
To what extent?

That is, if a police officer see an identifiable crime being committed (e.g., breaking and entering), does he or she not have the responsibility of an arrest? And, if not, what would be the parameters of citizen arrest, which is a valid principle?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
To what extent?

That is, if a police officer see an identifiable crime being committed (e.g., breaking and entering), does he or she not have the responsibility of an arrest? And, if not, what would be the parameters of citizen arrest, which is a valid principle?
I would imagine it would depend on the degree of the offense.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
To what extent?

A panhandling crime only occurs if the victim alleges harassment. Obviously, if the police see a crime they themselves can identify, they step in.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
I hate walking thru downtown for this very reason. I have a pretty good story consisting of about 5 words to get them off my trail. It's polite, but very effective, and is not offensive.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I hate walking thru downtown for this very reason. I have a pretty good story consisting of about 5 words to get them off my trail. It's polite, but very effective, and is not offensive.
Why not reveal it as a public service?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Our last several trips downtown for dinner (Jeff Ruby's, Nada, Nicholsons and the Metropole) and to the Aronoff on two occasions were disturbing.

It seems that Cincinnati is not stopping panhandlers from bothering pedestrians. One guy followed us from Nada to the entrance of the 580 Building and finally started yelling at us. This is just plain wrong!

Is anyone else as pissed off as I am at the lack of protection? (There were plenty of cops, 2 on bicycles and one directing traffic at the crosswalk--They just ignored what was going on around them)
Well, your stature has a lot to do with it. I can be down-right mean and nasty -- and I am -- because I can get away with it, since few would be willing to mess with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
We're all ears.

If I happen to be nice, I usually reply to "I'm homeless" with "Then why aren't you at the Talbert House?" That more often than not shuts them up and gets them off my back. If they start off with "I'm a homeless vet," (and there's lots of pretenders) then I retort with "Why aren't you at the VA Domiciliary?"

See? There's no excuse for being "homeless." There's plenty of services that my tax-dollars support, so there's no need to pan-handle, unless they want alcohol or drugs.

You can eat three meals a day for free in Cincinnati, and you have choices were to eat for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati