Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 PM

325 posts, read 1,125,096 times

Advertisements

Blackmont, Your Good ..I would like to read the book. Can you scan and send the pictures? I just noticed that your location is KY. My Dad lived in Harlan County as a boy, Benham,Ky. We have went to several of his class reunions. Hyden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM

69 posts, read 269,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Speaking of schools, here are a number of school class photos from Eastwood Grade School, thanks to Hyden and her sister for providing them. These go back to the late-50s to the 60s. Most include the year, grade, and teacher's name. Click the thumbnail to bring up the photo, then click the photo to enlarge to full size.
These were wonderful to look at, NightBazaar. I had forgotten about Mr. Duning! He was the only teacher in my whole school life to give me a really bad grade. I was so afraid of him when I was 9.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post
These were wonderful to look at, NightBazaar. I had forgotten about Mr. Duning! He was the only teacher in my whole school life to give me a really bad grade. I was so afraid of him when I was 9.

The photos are from Hyden's famous treasure chest of memories . I was impressed to see them too. I wouldn't have known any of those students though, most in much younger grades or later years. I do have some spine-chilling memories about that stage in the auditorium though.

I'm puzzled about Mr. Duning. I'm not sure if he's the same PE teacher or not that I had when I was at Eastwood. In some ways he looks similar and in other ways he doesn't. It's just been too many years ago for me to remember. If I can ever come across a class photo, that should clear up the mystery for me. I remember having class photos taken, but I'm not sure what happened to them. My younger brother might have them.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 21,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
Blackmont, Your Good ..I would like to read the book. Can you scan and send the pictures? I just noticed that your location is KY. My Dad lived in Harlan County as a boy, Benham,Ky. We have went to several of his class reunions. Hyden
Hyden,went to Coal Mining Museum in Benham last year . Really enjoyed it . Having trouble getting the class pictures on the site . Don't know if it's me or the computer. (probably me ) . Your friend Charlie Becker lived on Fredricksburg Ct. and I think I might know him also . How old is Charlie ?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 21,181 times
Default Eastwood class pictures 65 - 71

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	34821

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	34822

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	34823

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	34824

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	34825

Name:	scan0005.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	34826

Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 AM

325 posts, read 1,125,096 times
Blackmont,, I would love to go to Benham and visit, that would be something that me and my sister can do together. You did a good job on putting the pictures on, On the one for kindergarden, top row second from left of teacher, I believe that little girl is Karen Woosley. Now the 5th grd. top row, 7th fro left , I don't remember his first name but I believe his last name is Kidd. The name Mr. Shadd I remember but not the face.

Charlie Becker is 62, He and his wife live out in the country, he just last year sold the bar he and his Dad had for 40 odd years called Norwood Cafe to Xaiver U. In a little over a year both parents passed away. I may be going through your county this summer to visit a friend in McCreary county. I'll go now........Hyden

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM

69 posts, read 269,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The photos are from Hyden's famous treasure chest of memories . I was impressed to see them too. I wouldn't have known any of those students though, most in much younger grades or later years. I do have some spine-chilling memories about that stage in the auditorium though.

I'm puzzled about Mr. Duning. I'm not sure if he's the same PE teacher or not that I had when I was at Eastwood. In some ways he looks similar and in other ways he doesn't. It's just been too many years ago for me to remember. If I can ever come across a class photo, that should clear up the mystery for me. I remember having class photos taken, but I'm not sure what happened to them. My younger brother might have them.
I'm sure Mr. Duning was a nice guy, not that you could tell by my previous post. I had always been a very good student but my parents were going through a divorce and it must have really affected me. I really had a hard time with my studies that year.

I do remember another teacher, Mrs. Pitcher. She was married to my Science teacher, Mr. Pitcher (of course), when I was in the 7th or 8th grade at Lyons.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Default More School Photos

More Eastwood School photos from Hyden.

Name:	1959a.jpg
Views:	2592
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	34996

Name:	1961a.jpg
Views:	2368
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	34997

Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post

I'm sure Mr. Duning was a nice guy, not that you could tell by my previous post. I had always been a very good student but my parents were going through a divorce and it must have really affected me. I really had a hard time with my studies that year.
I'm not actually certain at the moment if Mr. Duning is in fact the teacher I had. But I can understand that some teachers might not have been so patient if they had no idea about your difficult family matters.

I think I mentioned earlier that a teacher (an old woman probably close to retirement) hit me across the front of my throat with a long pointer stick. I was a 4th grader. It wasn't full force, but it was a lot more than just a light tap.

Times were different back then. Some teachers (usually male) relied on using wooden hack paddles to punish kids for stupid reasons, like chewing gum or making noise for example. It would make sense for some serious offense, but I honestly think some teachers would work out their own personal frustrations by hacking kids. Some teachers would put a lot of strength behind their swing. All it amounted to was being a bully. These days, a teacher would face serious charges of child abuse. Supposedly, it was to demonstrate their authority. Utter nonsense. They could've just as easily complained to the parents and let them deal with it.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 AM

267 posts, read 722,394 times
redbank road still exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati