Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 03:05 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,182 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year everybody !!! I pray this year is better than the last one for everybody Hyden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,243 times
Hyden:
I'm replying to your old post on this. Hopefully you'll see it someday.
I also lived at Stratford Manor for a couple of years...when I was 7-8 years old. This would be around 1965 or so. We lived on Kingsley drive in one of the apartment buildings. I had a friend across the hall (Donnie), we had a neighborhood baseball team, regular runs to the local "dump" where we rumaged for "cool stuff". I remember the daily walk across the field to Eastwood school where my second grade teacher (Mrs. Little), thin and towered above me. I recently went to Fifth Third Bank for a job interview. It, and Coca Cola company, sits on the old Stratford Manor location.

I found an old map of the area that showed some of the old streets. I was curious where our apt building stood, so I overlaid the old Stratford Manor streets (roughly) onto a current google earth map. I remember smaller apts out closer to the road...we called them the "cottages".

I was nice taking a walk through these memories!
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-stratford-manor-overlay-present-day.jpg  

Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM

101 posts, read 228,806 times
welcome danno975
i'm about 7-8 yrs older then you. i lived in the cottage closest to the swimming pool. mofact i was 15 in '65 and still there. you are very right the memories are great.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Welcome in here danno975 We are always Happy to see new ones come in and share their memories !!!! You are the age of my sister Carolyn Sue Hyden... Did you see the old maps of the Manor ? Thanks for uploading the map, its fun to look at them. Do you have any outside pictures from the Manor, we like looking at them too, do you remember any of your friends names? ...I will speak for all of us and hope you come back in and visi and share some more of your memories. Hyden

Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM

185 posts, read 458,469 times
Welcome Danno975,hope you enjoy this thread.It has meant so much to the rest of us,we have fun talking about our lives when we lived there,the memories of the place is very dear to our hearts.Keep reading,you may find a friend or two ....never know.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM

56 posts, read 106,795 times
does any one remenber eva polick she lived on stratmore dr . I all so new a boy from the home his name was fred markum. How does every one like this snow and cold i hate it . to old to go out and do the things we used to do that made it a blast.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Danny, I knew Eva !!! When we moved back to the Manor in 64...our apt. was on Eastwood...hers faced the corner of Eastwood and Strathmore, but our backyards conected..you know what I mean ? Eva lived in the uptairs of the same building as the Butchies and Crawfords. We would walk to school at Lyons together some and I don't know what happened after 9th grd. I went to Courter and I think she went to Withrow and she was one or two yrs older than me. I always felt sorry for her. I think she was being raised by family but not her own parents , she did call them Mom & Dad. I thought my parents were strict but hers were beyond that. I don't remember her ever coming outside or over to visit, just school and back, keep house and cook. Through all that she was a very nice girl. Jerry might remember her or Fred Markum. Good question Danny !!!! Hyden

Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Hey Everybody ....It sure is cold here in the KY mountains !!!! I hope you all are nice and warm .....I talked to my brother Ronnie and he has a question.....He would really like to know if anyone knows what ever happened to Tim Luck ?? We know his sister has been mentioned but not Tim ...so I hope someone can answer this for him ..I will check back in later today....Hyden

Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 AM

31 posts, read 227,811 times
Default Our Last Trip To Cincinnati - Jul 07

Hi everyone, here are two pics from a "family reunion" in the Cincy area in 2007. This was the first time all of us had been together in Cincinnati since we moved from Stratford Manor in 1957. Our dad was in his last years with serious health problems and we all so much wanted to do this reunion before it was too late. My sister came up from TX, I came up from MS, and Dad came down from MI. He's been gone now for 4 months but I wanted to share two pictures from that reunion.
- The first pic I took of him enjoying the view of Cincinnati from the Devou Park Overlook across the river. Being hard of hearing, he did not know I had snuck up behind him to capture perfectly the flag flying over his head. I knew at the time that is was going to be a very special picture to remember him by long after he was gone. It still brings tears if I look at it too long.
- The second pic is from the top of Carew Tower, a place I very clearly remember him taking me and my sister to see back in 1957. She was too young to remember. I mentioned to Dad while we were up there how impossible it seems that 50 yrs had gone by since we were there last. I even remembered that little bitty elevator that takes you up the last few flights to the observation stairs. Dad almost couldn't make it up those stairs...but he did! A few months later and he would not have been able to make the reunion at all. But we did it by golly!
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-creation-museum-reunion-020.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-me-brenda-dad-atop-carew-tower.jpg  

Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 AM

David, Thanks so much for sharing these pictures with us, they are so special. I'm sure he enjoyed it as much as you and Brenda. I like the one too of him sitting there, some of the best pictures are the ones not posed for. I went to the top of the Carew Tower with a girl from the Manor when I was about 10-11. Now you couldn't pay me enough !! LOL I have this thing with heights now and looking down. Hyden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati