U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-24-2008, 03:52 PM

107 posts, read 159,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
who remembers the train ride... i do when i was on it it went around a lake
I remember the train ride. We used to buy a little bag of salt water taffy, get on the train and take cover! Remember the cowboy and indian fights? I could have sworn I got shot once!

My favorite ride was the "Lost River". Never could do the Shooting Star. I loved anything that I would get wet on.

I just heard yesterday that Sunlight Pool is going to have something new next year. They are going to remove the water slide??? I remember when I was in high school I dated a guy who was a life guard there.

Here's one....does anyone remember Stadtmans store in Madisonville? I think it was kind of a department store. I just remember they had hard wood floors and if we were good Mr. Stadtman would let you go into the back under a table and grab as many pennies out of a jar that your little hand could hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 PM

107 posts, read 159,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Yes, I think you're right. Fox Theater sounds familiar! Thank you! I don't remember the color scheme but I recall it looked rather plush.

I also remember the Shooting Star. It was the biggest roller coaster at Coney Island. There was also another roller coaster, the whiplashing Wildcat. It was one of the first rides as you entered the miday. Other notables I remember were the Wild Mouse, and Fun In The Dark (a dark ride). One of the odd "exhibits" in Fun In The Dark ride was a lit up room with crude carnival style paintings of sci-fi space scenes.

Next to the Wild Mouse was an antigravity ride called The Rotor. It spun around pressing you against the wall then the floor would drop down. We'd turn outrselves upside down or try to stand up toward the center Near the end of the midway, there was a ride with rockets that hung by chains that swung out and spun around like a suspended merry-go-round. The walls were thickly padded.

There was also, the mini turnpike where kids could drive go-carts that looked like small cars out over the lake. Over in the Kiddy Land part of the amusement area there were horses you could ride around on a dirt track.

We used to go to Coney Island fairly often during the summer, and the Orphanage would invite me to go along when the park held Orphans Day. I had the good fortune to accompany a pretty girl from the orphanage on the love boat ride.

The Cincinnati zoo also had a small amusement park with a dark ride called Laugh In The Dark. North of Cincy was an amusement park called LeSwordsville Lake. It had an interesting walk through Fun House.

At Louisville Ky, there was Riverside Amusement Park. It had several indoor fun houses, including a spacious building with giant wooden slides, one of which was incredibly steep, a giant rolling barrel, shifting walkways, and a large conical disk that people would get on and try not to get spun off. It also had a great walk through maze of mirrors.

Summertime was always a fun time! Those were the days.......
Soozycue520 - if you went to Oakley Elementary, where did you go to high school? You must still live around here if you go through Oakley square.
I too am enjoying the trip down memory lane. I can't believe how much we are all able to remember. Half the time, I can't remember what I did last week!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 AM

261 posts, read 419,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
I remember the train ride. We used to buy a little bag of salt water taffy, get on the train and take cover! Remember the cowboy and indian fights? I could have sworn I got shot once!

My favorite ride was the "Lost River". Never could do the Shooting Star. I loved anything that I would get wet on.

I just heard yesterday that Sunlight Pool is going to have something new next year. They are going to remove the water slide??? I remember when I was in high school I dated a guy who was a life guard there.

Here's one....does anyone remember Stadtmans store in Madisonville? I think it was kind of a department store. I just remember they had hard wood floors and if we were good Mr. Stadtman would let you go into the back under a table and grab as many pennies out of a jar that your little hand could hold.
no i don't reember that.. i was there at night, i think i cried my eyes out
is the lake there or is it gone

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM

4,111 posts, read 4,694,012 times
Quote:

Was that the ride where you'd hop in a little boat and drift through what amounted to the 'tunnel of love'?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 PM

162 posts, read 433,136 times
Quote:
Soozycue520 - if you went to Oakley Elementary, where did you go to high school? You must still live around here if you go through Oakley square.
I too am enjoying the trip down memory lane. I can't believe how much we are all able to remember. Half the time, I can't remember what I did last week!
I went to Walnut Hills on & off, when I lived with my mom in the city. When I lived with my Dad in the suburbs, I went to Forest Park & Glen Este High. I moved back & forth between them. I definitely prefer the city, and now live in East Walnut Hills.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM

69 posts, read 166,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
NightBazaar, Thank You Thank You !! The apartments from what i remember were all the same colors but were different in different courts, some were green and drk. green then the reverse in another court, then some were brown & beige, then the reverse in other courts. In the picture with your brothers you see the corner of what was called cottages..there were usually 2 in each court on each side of the middle apt. in the court. Eastwood Dr. was the street that you entered the manor on from the eastwood circle direction, going straight Strathmore was on your left and right going across Eastwood. Kingsley was just passed that on the right and then it ran into Shelbourne. But Eastwood went all the way out to Red Bank starting from the enterance. At the corner of Kingsley and Eastwood ws an alley straight across..that was where you went to go to the pool later on. Also forgot to mention the Mr, Softee ice cream truck and a peddler in an old model T stle druck that sold candy and ice cream, he was old and his name was Louie. Red and white truck, I don't know how I forgot to mention that.He usually run in all the back alleys. Kids ran to it from everywhere. Maybee I'll remember something else .

I remember Louie!! I lived there at various times. We first moved there in 1963 and I went to Eastwood Elementary in the 4th grade. We lived on Shelbourne in one of the middle (center) bldgs on the second floor. I remember that my mom couldn't afford the second bedroom (they advertised 1 and 2 bedroom apts., but they all had 2 bedrooms) so they had the second bedroom just locked off.

I remember in the summer it cost 50cents to get into the swimming pool. I also remember that instead of buying lunch at school, I could take the money my mom gave me and go to the drugstore and buy a hot dog and a cherry coke or or a bowl of soup/crackers and a coke.

I remember coming home from school and walking through the "alleys" to get home and that when it rained really hard sometimes the alleys would flood and we'd ride our bikes through the water if it wasn't too deep.

We moved to the end of Kingsley Drive in '64 (not sure why, but we had both bedrooms!) I went to live with my father that year and when I moved back with my mom she had moved again. Then in 1967-68 we moved back for about a year and a half and lived in one of the cottages at the other end of Kingsley.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I went to Lyon Jr. High for 7th, 8th and 9th grade starting in 1969. The principal then was Charles Knuckles. I too went to Eastwood Elementary where the principal was Mary Alice McCartney. I still remember my kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Walsh, 1st grade was Ms. Jones, 2nd was Mrs. Sloan etc. Now, I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast this morning but I remember my elementary teachers! Go figure.

As for Lyon, there was also an assistant principal named Mr. George Jacobs and another by the name of Mr. Bruner.

Anyone out there from any of my classes?
From earlier posts, I think I would have been a year ahead of you maybe, but I do remember Mary Alice McCartney. I also remember Mr. Knuckles. My father came into his office from work one day to complain that our art teacher had given the whole class "swats" because we wouldn't admit to or tell on whoever stomped on crayons while she was out of the room. It really ended up being a big deal at the time and I know the teacher got into a lot of trouble.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
Hello Everyone Redbankgirl, I remember Mr. Nichols too. My favorite teacher was Mr. Alexander. Do you remember him? Sometimes his wife would come and sub in some classes. Do you remember Mr. Nichols children? They didn't go to school there but sometimes visited, they were both almost like albino's , but their eyes weren't pink. I also remember miss Mcartney from Eastwood , but I don't remebber the other teaches names. Nightbaazzar, I will be getting into the storage to get my christmas stuff down and will look for pictures then. I love seeing others starting to come in here. Got to go now. Betty
Wow! I remember Mr. Alexander. I had him in the afternoon at Lyon. One day, he gave me and another girl a detention and when we went to his room to serve it after school he wasn't there. He was coaching at the field at Eastwood school. We had to go there to let him know we had showed up and it was pretty far so we took a "shortcut" cutting across the creek. By the time we made it up the hill to the field he just looked at us like we were nuts and told us we could go home. By this time I was living in Madison Place next to Mariemont and had to go back the way I came and catch a public bus to get home.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
LOL! I don't remember Lola Bird but I do remember my runny nose and my chapped legs from walking in the cold and not being allowed to wear pants! I have to laugh at our "breakfast of champions", coke, cupcakes and dill pickles. Still sounds good today!
Rhonda, the modulars sat at the back-side of the school and ran parallel to 71 and the "creek" . I only remember two of the teachers in them, Mr. Massey and Mr. Mooney.
I ended up going to Withrow and graduated in 1975. I still live in Cincinnati but closer to Blue Ash these days. I along with others volunteer at Withrow. I recently told a fellow volunteer and friend about this web site. He lived in the Children's Home for a while. Hope to see him on the site soon.

Recently a former art teacher from Withrow started coming back to volunteer. I discovered he grew up in Eastwood Circle. He is about 20 years older than myself but also has fond memories of the area.

Take care all!
Hope you are both having a great weekend.
I was trying to remember Mr. Massey. I remember him telling us about his sinus operations. I really liked him. He had me draw the Panama Canal on the side blackboards for class and was always teasing me.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
LOL! I don't remember Lola Bird but I do remember my runny nose and my chapped legs from walking in the cold and not being allowed to wear pants! I have to laugh at our "breakfast of champions", coke, cupcakes and dill pickles. Still sounds good today!
Rhonda, the modulars sat at the back-side of the school and ran parallel to 71 and the "creek" . I only remember two of the teachers in them, Mr. Massey and Mr. Mooney.
I ended up going to Withrow and graduated in 1975. I still live in Cincinnati but closer to Blue Ash these days. I along with others volunteer at Withrow. I recently told a fellow volunteer and friend about this web site. He lived in the Children's Home for a while. Hope to see him on the site soon.

Recently a former art teacher from Withrow started coming back to volunteer. I discovered he grew up in Eastwood Circle. He is about 20 years older than myself but also has fond memories of the area.

Take care all!
Hope you are both having a great weekend.
I don't have an image but I do remember the name Lola Bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati