Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM

15 posts, read 70,571 times

Advertisements

It's so nice to hear from all of you. Mr. Woodruff was pretty nice, I spent a lot of time in his after school detention. I will never forget the day some guy threw down some fake vomit and Mr. Woodruff went nuts trying to keep everyone away from it. I woke up this morning thinking the math teacher I had might have been Mrs. Mercer. Does anyone remember Miss Tibbles (?) from home economics?

The back of our building was on an alley and there was only one more set of buildings before the cemetary. Brenda and I used to sneak back there and smoke. Her building was next to the cemetary.

None of the names sound familiar to me. I tried to keep in touch with Brenda Ronecker but have only had sporatic luck. She is living in Indiana now. Her mother had surgery at the hospital I work in and I saw her sister but kept missing her. Did have a good talk with her mom and sister.

I barely remember lipstick smear days.

We went to school with the kids from the Orphanage, I always told my mom to put me there, I guess I though life would be better. The one name I remember from there is Lola Bird.

Last edited by RHONDA W1954; 10-14-2008 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: add more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM

107 posts, read 244,747 times
Gosh, I can't remember Mr. Woodruff, only the name. I had a teacher named Mr. Mooney. Short little guy that resembled an "elf". I do remember Mr. Haas and yes he was a cute little scoobie snack.
I had a friend, Pat Garner, and we walked to and from school every day. She was a year ahead of me. She lives in FL and we still stay in touch today.
My mom was raised in an orphanage in Cincy and we were always running with kids from the "Children's Home". I remember two guys from the home, Joe Hill and James Jackson. Joe was shy and really nice, James was bad news.
I love this! I'll be we all crossed each others paths at one time or another.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:49 AM

I wonder if Mr. Mooney went to Woodward to teach or if he had a brother that taught there. The Mr. Mooney from Woodward was also a short little guy, I think he taught English. His classroom was in one of the modular buildings out to the side of the school.

I remember walking to school, if we went down Madison we always stopped at King Kwik (?) and got a big dill pickle for breakfast. How gross is that?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHONDA W1954 View Post
I wonder if Mr. Mooney went to Woodward to teach or if he had a brother that taught there. The Mr. Mooney from Woodward was also a short little guy, I think he taught English. His classroom was in one of the modular buildings out to the side of the school.

I remember walking to school, if we went down Madison we always stopped at King Kwik (?) and got a big dill pickle for breakfast. How gross is that?
...could be! He taught in a modular building at Lyon as well. I LOVED those giant dill pickles from King Kwik. Even more I love the "push-m-malts". Kind of like a chocolate malt on a stick inside a cardboard cylinder. You would just keep pushing the icecream up until you at every last bite.
This is too much fun!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
Rhonda and Redbank girl, I remember Lola Bird. She was sorta tall and dark headed. I remember her putting forks or any kind of silverware in her purse and said she was saving it for her "hope chest". I also walked to Lyons from the duck creek to redbank way or sometimes through eastwood circle and go down madison rd. Always stopped at King Kwik too , but always bought a 6oz. coke and a hostess cake. When I started at Lyons you weren't allowed to wear pants, so by the time you got to school in the winter you're legs would be froze to death and the snot in your nose would start running after you entered the building I think about 8th grd. they started letting us wear them for about 3 months. I think it was about 9th grd.they started letting us wear them all the time. When I was about 16 or 17 I worked on the week-ends at the Oakley Drive-in , they had those big pickles too, I loved to eat them. I buy them in a big jar and my grandson loves them too. You all are right , this is alot of fun. Bye for now, Hyden

Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 PM

I do not remember the modulars at Lyons, where did they sit. I am sure Mr. Mooney from my mind was from Woodward but strange things happen to your brain as you get older. I am 54 now. Do any of you still live in this area of town? I live in Batavia, 30 miles east of Cincinnati. After Lyons I went to Woodward for a year and a half the moved to Western Hills to live with my dad and went to Oak Hills. I quit at the end of the 10th grade and went to beauty school. Got married in Jan. 72 and moved to Bethel, Ohio. 10 years later I got my G.E.D. and 10 years after that I graduated from University of Cincinnati with a Liberal Arts Degree.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
Rhonda, I live in Pike County, KY, it's about 4 1/2 hrs. from Cincinnati.My mother was from here and we spent time here for summer fun. I love it here and always planned on trying to live here to raise a family. I also went to beauty school . I went to Larry Moores Universite' of Hair Design. I took night classes and all day on saturdays. I never finished it though. Boy!! if I had my life to do over and know what I know now, There sure would be some changes made. But that's life and God has truely blessed me and my family. Bye for now, Hyden

Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
Rhonda and Redbank girl, I remember Lola Bird. She was sorta tall and dark headed. I remember her putting forks or any kind of silverware in her purse and said she was saving it for her "hope chest". I also walked to Lyons from the duck creek to redbank way or sometimes through eastwood circle and go down madison rd. Always stopped at King Kwik too , but always bought a 6oz. coke and a hostess cake. When I started at Lyons you weren't allowed to wear pants, so by the time you got to school in the winter you're legs would be froze to death and the snot in your nose would start running after you entered the building I think about 8th grd. they started letting us wear them for about 3 months. I think it was about 9th grd.they started letting us wear them all the time. When I was about 16 or 17 I worked on the week-ends at the Oakley Drive-in , they had those big pickles too, I loved to eat them. I buy them in a big jar and my grandson loves them too. You all are right , this is alot of fun. Bye for now, Hyden
LOL! I don't remember Lola Bird but I do remember my runny nose and my chapped legs from walking in the cold and not being allowed to wear pants! I have to laugh at our "breakfast of champions", coke, cupcakes and dill pickles. Still sounds good today!
Rhonda, the modulars sat at the back-side of the school and ran parallel to 71 and the "creek" . I only remember two of the teachers in them, Mr. Massey and Mr. Mooney.
I ended up going to Withrow and graduated in 1975. I still live in Cincinnati but closer to Blue Ash these days. I along with others volunteer at Withrow. I recently told a fellow volunteer and friend about this web site. He lived in the Children's Home for a while. Hope to see him on the site soon.

Recently a former art teacher from Withrow started coming back to volunteer. I discovered he grew up in Eastwood Circle. He is about 20 years older than myself but also has fond memories of the area.

Take care all!
Hope you are both having a great weekend.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
Even more I love the "push-m-malts". Kind of like a chocolate malt on a stick inside a cardboard cylinder. You would just keep pushing the icecream up until you at every last bite.
This is too much fun!
HAHAHA! I remember those cardboard tube of ice cream and the pushup sticks. Loved 'em!

I went to the grade (elementary) school on Madison Road in Oakley for one year. We used to cross the street where there was a candy store with tons of candy you could buy in bulk. Around Halloween, the store would carry the usual assortment of wax treats like black moustaches, white buck teeth and red lips. I also remember wax tubes filled with a sweet liquid. You'd bite off the end of the tube, and drink the liquid, then chew the wax to get the remaining drops of flavor.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 10-20-2008 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Add about Oakley Grade School

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
HAHAHA! I remember those cardboard tube of ice cream and the pushup sticks. Loved 'em!

I went to the grade (elementary) school on Madison Road in Oakley for one year. We used to cross the street where there was a candy store with tons of candy you could buy in bulk. Around Halloween, the store would carry the usual assortment of wax treats like black moustaches, white buck teeth and red lips. I also remember wax tubes filled with a sweet liquid. You'd bite off the end of the tube, and drink the liquid, then chew the wax to get the remaining drops of flavor.
Finally, someone remembers those malts on a stick! I too remember the store that sold the candy in bulk. I think it was called Beckstedts Candies. They use to provide the candy for all the schools when they used to sell it for fund raisers.

I had to laugh out loud when you mentioned those crazy lips and the wax "milk bottles" filled with that surgary liquid. You can still find those around here.

The Oakley Grade School has now been torn down and in it's place stands a CVS Pharmacy and Fresh Market.

Do you get through Oakley very often?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati