U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 PM

4,802 posts, read 4,401,127 times

Advertisements

I have some ideas. I think a typical Cincinnati person has a certain look and way of being. It is unlike most cities I have been in and I say that in a good way. Anyway, this to me is what I picture as a typical Cincinnati person:

Probably has a rough exterior. Their personality matches the terrain. They're not soft or easy to walk on. They don't go out of their way to make you hate them. They seem genuine.

I picture a Northwest European looking person. Pale skin. Bertil Lundman and those anthropologists of the 30s would have called these people Atlantids hahaha. Dark hair. Blue eyes. Robust/coarse features like their personalities. In other words they look Middle American. Can be very convinced about how right they are.

Usually look like former athletes when in middle age. Men usually tall and rather robust. Women very much "stereotypical feminine" in the Catholic traditional sense and the physiques to match. Women here tend to have "hippier" figures than other cities. The hourglass seems more prominent. Flat butts aren't huge here (pun intended and not). They rock the short shorts and don't care how thick their thighs are either. I am not complaining most of the time haha. Lots of them can pass as Instagram models. You know if they wore that level of makeup.

Cliquish. Outsiders welcome but you have to find your way in. Good thing it isn't hard to find a way in because people are so darned nice. But once you're in you actually see how cliquish they are. Provincial as well. To ridiculous levels. East of 75 good. West of 75 bad. Or vice versa.

Most Cincinnatians seem like people who you probably wouldn't want to cross.

They know each other. Pretty self explanatory. Heavy on the living in the past. It's always what High School did you go to.

Sports. Their teams suck. But their level of dedication to your teams is on an amazing level. And hey FC Cincinnati exists and is awesome.

They hate the burbs. Or the city. Oh wait provincial again.

Dayton. Why would they want to go to Dayton? Why would anyone want to BE from Dayton? And the Miami Valley well...again. Dayton. Middletown is the kid no one wants. And side note if you're from South Lebanon, hey at least you're not Springboro!

These people hate the letter L. Unless they need to connect a vowel. I sawl it for myself. Let's go watch the Bengows game.

They know someone with heroin.

They hate/love the streetc. . .

Any more to add, anymore?

Please know this isn't intended to be super serious and no offense is meant

And please no active discussions about something with its own thread. Haha

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 09-21-2017 at 11:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 AM

666 posts, read 358,772 times
"Dayton. Why would they want to go to Dayton? Why would anyone want to BE from Dayton? And the Miami Valley well...again. Dayton."

Couldn't agree with you more. Personally, I can't wait to be FROM Dayton.

Born in NY. Grew up in PA. Have lived in the Miami Valley since 1992. I loathe the place, and the day I can finally put it in my rearview mirror for the last time will be a very good day indeed.

Just waiting for the last kiddo to leave the nest...

Old 09-22-2017, 05:42 AM

2,594 posts, read 3,740,131 times
I guess I am very atypical for a Cincinnatian then.

I am in my late 30's, tall and athletic, but I have brown eyes.

I am not cliquish; I simply choose not to associate socially with anyone that I haven't known since high school.

I don't love the pro sports teams; I follow high school football and college basketball.

I come from a large catholic family on the east side of town and I am married to a woman with narrow hips and a small butt from a large west side catholic family .

I don't need to be convinced how right I am because I have only been wrong once, and that was when I was 2 before I learned to talk, so no one even knows about it unless I tell them. It's called honesty and integrity, not something you tend to find on either coast.

Sorry I don't fit the stereotype.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:45 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,359,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post

Just waiting for the last kiddo to leave the nest...
Why should that stop you?

Old 09-22-2017, 06:15 PM

1,621 posts, read 1,543,133 times
This is tough. Easy to do a stereotypical Hyde Park or Norwood or Clifton or Indian Hill (and a few others), but while Cincinnati isn't the MOST diverse town it's still too diverse to pigeonhole in this way.
And for those of you saying Middletown and points north are part of Cincinnati, just stop it. Dayton? Really? Why not throw Lexington KY in there?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 AM

3,513 posts, read 4,322,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
This is tough. Easy to do a stereotypical Hyde Park or Norwood or Clifton or Indian Hill (and a few others), but while Cincinnati isn't the MOST diverse town it's still too diverse to pigeonhole in this way.
And for those of you saying Middletown and points north are part of Cincinnati, just stop it. Dayton? Really? Why not throw Lexington KY in there?
I agree. Stereotypical "Cincinnati" only lies within the loop. Fairfield might as well be a different planet, let alone Middletown.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 AM

3,513 posts, read 4,322,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I guess I am very atypical for a Cincinnatian then.
This isn't...

Quote:
I don't love the pro sports teams; I follow high school football
Or this

Quote:
I come from a large catholic family on the east side of town and I am married to a woman with narrow hips and a small butt from a large west side catholic family .

Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,203,192 times
Wait, so in a city that is almost 50% African American (Wikipedia from 2010 census shows 49% white, 44% black or African American) the stereotype is a White European?

I know this isn't serious, but c'mon...

The "typical" Cincinnatian (or however you folks refer to yourselves) is a person, possibly male, possibly female. They probably have 2 eyes, arms, legs (though possibly less if tragedy has ensued)... They probably are religious, as atheists are still a small fraction of the population in general. They probably have opinions..

That's about all I've got. Though anecdotally, I agree on the "provincial", because the most prevalent viewpoints down here I've been exposed to seem to be microscopically dialed in on the "local" and not the larger state/regional/country/international concerns. Even that though may just be my unlucky experience and not indicative of the whole.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 14,541,201 times
Stereotypical Cincinnati

"What High School did you go to?"
"Where do you want to get Chili?"
"Who Dey"
"Do you know so in so who dated my friend from the west side?"

It's an interesting town to say the least.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM

16,565 posts, read 19,427,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Wait, so in a city that is almost 50% African American (Wikipedia from 2010 census shows 49% white, 44% black or African American) the stereotype is a White European?

I know this isn't serious, but c'mon...
A stereotype is, by definition, not a plain, objective description of reality. Rather it is a composite of features that create a static and oversimplified image, rooted in, but not representative of, a universal truth.

The stereotypical Cincinnatian has roots in the area going back to the 19th century. At least that is what I infer from Eddie's post: that the stereotypical Cincinnatian is one of the descendants of the German farmers who settled the area over a century ago.

There have always been blacks in Cincinnati (and English, Irish, Scots-Irish, Jews, and so on), but the large percentage we see today is due to relatively recent migrations. Same with Kentuckians.

Today, African-Americans, Appalachians, and a whole host of people from all over the country and even many parts of the world are Cincinnatians, but that doesn't mean they contribute to the stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati