Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:59 PM

800 posts, read 950,774 times

Advertisements

The counties can't be compared as apples any more than the city limits. Cuyahoga County is physically larger than Hamilton County, plus almost all of it is buildable. Fully 1/3 of Hamilton County is rural and will always be rural due to the almost complete lack of sewers in the Great Miami watershed. Meanwhile, there have been sewers in the Mill Creek Valley for 100+ years, and the Mill Creek extends north into Butler County (and the Little Miami, which also has always had sewers, extends north into Warren).

You can slice these MSA/CSA borders to fit an agenda, but the bottom line is that the Cincinnati MSA is inching toward overtaking Cleveland if it hasn't already. If Cleveland somehow lands Amazon while P&G and five other big Cincinnati employers vaporize that trend could reverse but the trend lines put Cincinnati solidly head of Cleveland by 2030.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:40 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,145,017 times
This minute I saw the headline, I knew who it was.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:45 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,145,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Always thought this too. Wilmington? C'mon.
I think it all depends. Cincinnati being the "hub" for Wilmington is like Logan and Athens having Columbus as a hub. There's some merit to that. Cleveland is probably restricted to five counties, because Akron and Canton form their own hub that reaches out to the rural areas.

So, I think the answer is, as it usually is, "it depends."

Old 12-01-2017, 01:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
It looks like Geekwire is looking for an HQ2 like amazon. Cincinnati is a finalist.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/geekwi...e-second-city/

Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I think it all depends. Cincinnati being the "hub" for Wilmington is like Logan and Athens having Columbus as a hub. There's some merit to that. Cleveland is probably restricted to five counties, because Akron and Canton form their own hub that reaches out to the rural areas.

So, I think the answer is, as it usually is, "it depends."
Akron and Canton are both satellite cities of Cleveland. There is virtually no distinction between Summit and Cuyahoga Counties in terms of them being a combined commercial center other than most of the shared populace works in Cuyahoga County. There is a reason I-77, I-271 and SR-8 are jam packed in the northerly direction every morning. The only reason the Cleveland MSA is limited to 5 counties is because it is much more populated than even a 10 county region in SWOH/KY/IN. They need to include 16 of them just to even make it close - that's 4,808 vs. 1831 sq. mi. or 2.63x the land area. It's a total BS comparison.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
It looks like Geekwire is looking for an HQ2 like amazon. Cincinnati is a finalist.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/geekwi...e-second-city/
It looks like Geekwire went with Pittsburgh. Definitely interesting that Pittsburgh beat tech-havens Denver and Raleigh.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
It looks like Geekwire went with Pittsburgh. Definitely interesting that Pittsburgh beat tech-havens Denver and Raleigh.
Pittsburgh's got the Rust Belt Recovery award and has for years now. Not surprising. White collar + education + low cost

Old 12-19-2017, 12:21 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Pittsburgh's got the Rust Belt Recovery award and has for years now. Not surprising. White collar + education + low cost
Well aware that Pittsburgh economy is changing yet its population is still declining. Maybe it will start seeing a population + in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati