Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times

Advertisements

I really really honestly hope this doesn't cause any of our local cheerleaders to have a stroke or other adverse health event this morning. Seriously, this is probably just as good an example of the stupidity of these random internet lists as a lot of the stuff that paints Cincinnati as the glowing Center of the Universe. And at least we're better than Youngstown.

50 worst cities to live in: crime rates, employment growth, housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Well, I didn't see Dayton on either list, which might be viewed as notable.

What I noticed was that the "good" list has a bunch of towns I've not heard of, while the "bad" list has many well-known names (with pictures meant to impress).

PS: I have an acquaintance in Detroit who is just as positive and "cheerleading" about Detroit as those in Cincinnati who like to see the painting of Cincinnati as the glowing Center of the Universe..

Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Canton, Ohio, was ranked as the 20th worst city on the list; Youngstown was 21st; Cincinnati was 25th worst; Gary, Indiana, was 29th worst; Indianapolis was 39th worst. Detroit was ranked as the worst city. I went through the list twice and didn't see Columbus or Cleveland on the list.

Here is the original article.

50 Worst American Cities to Live In - 24/7 Wall St.

Here is the methodology. Cleveland and Dayton may have been excluded from the study due to negative population growth.

<< Thus, we excluded cities with negative five- or 10-year population growth rates.>>

Cincinnati's inclusion on the list probably reflected its relatively high poverty rate:

<< Cities were penalized for having poverty rates above the national rate of 14.7%. >>

50 Worst American Cities to Live In - 24/7 Wall St.

Cincinnati's poverty rate was reported as 27.4 percent.

Actually, this is a rather methodical study. Cities with very high poverty rates certainly should be concerned and addressing the issue.

A major problem with this list is that detailed findings for all cities were not provided. E.g., it's impossible to tell if Cleveland and Dayton were excluded from the study, or why Cincinnati is ranked lower than Columbus.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-21-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 08:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Consider the source.

24/7 Wall St. is some goofball's blog on WordPress.

Pure clickbait. More fake news.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:34 PM

224 posts, read 297,240 times
I'm a Cincinnati realist as opposed to a cheerleader. However, that list completely lost all credibility with me when I saw Cincinnati with a worse ranking than Gary, Indiana. Give me a break.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I'm a Cincinnati realist as opposed to a cheerleader. However, that list completely lost all credibility with me when I saw Cincinnati with a worse ranking than Gary, Indiana. Give me a break.
Cincinnati is not even close to being a worse place to live and work than Gary. I've driven through Gary a few times in recent years and it has seen better days.

Mebbe Gary is experiencing some kind of revival that we've never heard about?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 AM

183 posts, read 197,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I really really honestly hope this doesn't cause any of our local cheerleaders to have a stroke or other adverse health event this morning. Seriously, this is probably just as good an example of the stupidity of these random internet lists as a lot of the stuff that paints Cincinnati as the glowing Center of the Universe. And at least we're better than Youngstown.

50 worst cities to live in: crime rates, employment growth, housing

You might be confusing having a passionate love for the city with cheer leading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati