Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 AM

61 posts, read 46,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The locale leans socially-conservative. This means that many people couple-up in high school or college, and by age 27, there’s not inconsiderable reason to marvel how many of one’s peers are now more concerned with child safety seats and pre-schools, than dating. It also means that outsiders are treated with skepticism, especially if they are foreign-born, secular, not interested in having children, or otherwise are laden with some deviation from the prevailing norm.

However, these are problems particular to the smaller towns and rural regions -the Harrisons and Wilmingtons, less so the city itself. Though it is harsh to say this, one’s problems are ultimately one’s own, especially if one is a native-son and has been exposed to this culture quite literally from the cradle. There are factors for which to blame the place; but even more factors for which to blame the person.

A change of locale may change little about the available options, but maybe the freshness will help to change the self? New styles, new manners, however really much akin to the old, feel new- and so, one feels oneself renewed, unburdened of old prejudices and constrictions. So, move. Is there a better place? New job? New search?
I just picked up a mid-year teaching job at a local charter school; teaching the middle-school wing of this school. Since it's a privately owned school, the wage is probably going to be low(The principal hasn't told me the wage yet), and it's solely for "at-risk" students. I may very well enjoy it, but it also wouldn't hurt me to move somewhere else, and find a new job.

I was thinking about moving somewhere in Tennessee(From my experience, that state has the nicest women I've met in my life), and finding a public school teaching job down there somewhere. I prefer the eastern side of Tennessee, because that's the part I'm the most familiar with. I also know the southeastern region of the United States in general has nicer people, and a major teaching shortage as well.

Perhaps I should test my luck there. It has to be better than Ohio, right?

Old 12-04-2017, 10:15 AM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
My wife and I met at a bar when I was playing with a band. Happily married for 23 years now.

Maybe you could learn to play an instrument and pick up some gigs? Enjoy the extra cash and occasional casual groupie until one night you meet some young lady and realize that she is The One.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
My wife and I met at a bar when I was playing with a band. Happily married for 23 years now.

Maybe you could learn to play an instrument and pick up some gigs? Enjoy the extra cash and occasional casual groupie until one night you meet some young lady and realize that she is The One.
You have to remember, that was 23 years ago, which was an entirely different world, and different generation.

These days, Millennial women won't meet in public places, because they claim every guy who approaches them is a "creep." They are barely outgoing these days, outside of the internet.

I've tried a few "bars"(usually a bar, and grill, and a local club up in Oxford), and that never worked either. All the girls wanted to do was hang out with their friends, and any guy who bugged them was seen as "weird", or "creepy."

Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLivinginOhio View Post

These days, Millennial women won't meet in public places, because they claim every guy who approaches them is a "creep." . . . All the girls wanted to do was hang out with their friends, and any guy who bugged them was seen as "weird", or "creepy."

I think you have to accept their assessment.

On further consideration, I think Tennessee would be a good spot for you. How soon can you move?

Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Could be that Denver was a place where you were a better version of yourself. Maybe the real issue is that you don't like Cincinnati.

Also try women from out of town? I was in Ohio, at the age of 23, and things started changing for the better but it was not with Ohio women. I rarely had any success in Ohio growing up. You are on the border and I'm sure you encounter women from Kentucky every now and again.

Personally I'd go online if I were you. Really not sure what is going on at the age of 27 that is holding you back but it'd be worth a shot.

Cincinnati is incredibly conservative. I'd wager you'd be better off in Cleveland, or at least Columbus, if you were going to remain in Ohio. Even Dayton might be a better fit at this point.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
I'll admit that my wife and I are eccentric, possibly weird, though in a fun safe way. We're cool with it.

The Internet, email, and text messages, have really destroyed the social skills of the younger generation.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I'll admit that my wife and I are eccentric, possibly weird, though in a fun safe way. We're cool with it.

The Internet, email, and text messages, have really destroyed the social skills of the younger generation.
I can't wrap my mind around it. Just fortunate that I'm not in my twenties, or my thirties, in this day and age.

Back then you figured it out the hard way and there was no one online to help you out. You couldn't text her, you actually had to pay for long distance phone calls. Totally different era.

Things should be easier. They were for me when I first started going online. Really not sure what is going on these days.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think you have to accept their assessment.

On further consideration, I think Tennessee would be a good spot for you. How soon can you move?
You're one of those people who refuse to believe that women just MIGHT be wrong, right? I won't "accept' their assessment, because it's an inaccurate assessment.

I know your comment was sarcasm, but I wouldn't mind moving to Tennessee as soon as this schoolyear ends.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLivinginOhio View Post
You're one of those people who refuse to believe that women just MIGHT be wrong, right? I won't "accept' their assessment, because it's an inaccurate assessment.

I know your comment was sarcasm, but I wouldn't mind moving to Tennessee as soon as this schoolyear ends.
What if they are wrong. Its your problem. The key to relationships is for the person you're interested in to actually be right. You don't have to believe it, you just have to convey it. There's plenty of time down the line for rights and wrongs to correct themselves.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Could be that Denver was a place where you were a better version of yourself. Maybe the real issue is that you don't like Cincinnati.

Also try women from out of town? I was in Ohio, at the age of 23, and things started changing for the better but it was not with Ohio women. I rarely had any success in Ohio growing up. You are on the border and I'm sure you encounter women from Kentucky every now and again.

Personally I'd go online if I were you. Really not sure what is going on at the age of 27 that is holding you back but it'd be worth a shot.

Cincinnati is incredibly conservative. I'd wager you'd be better off in Cleveland, or at least Columbus, if you were going to remain in Ohio. Even Dayton might be a better fit at this point.
I'm happier when I travel, but I also think it was because in Denver, I was on a Future Educators Association(FEA) trip with my teacher, and classmates, and in the Hyatt hotel we stayed in, every other school(from all over the country) was in the same boat. We were all seniors in high school at the time.

I love Kentucky, but I mainly visit the border of Kentucky, which isn't much different from Ohio. I have family living in eastern Kentucky, and I love it every time I go out there. I have noticed the people are much friendlier there as well.

I've already tried online dating websites, and apps(as I mentioned in my original post), and that has failed as well. On Tinder alone, I've had a total of about 20 matches, and I've probably swiped right on over 5,000 different profiles in the two years I've been using it by now. Out of the 20(or so) matches I've had, almost all of them didn't respond to my messages. On the other dating websites, and apps, I've had no luck whatsoever.

I know Cincinnati is very conservative. I've been to Dayton a few times, and haven't had much luck, but I don't go there much. I haven't been to Columbus since 2010, and I've never been to Cleveland. However, my plan is to move away from this state in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati