Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times

Advertisements

Grade separation is the key.

No problem with a streetcar in the way Cincy has if there's also rapid transit feeding people downtown. It's a little more useful if people aren't having to already drive there.

Rapid transit and high speed rail should be the thing for longer hauls. If there was a little more regional cooperation, Cincy/Dayton/Indy/Louisville/Columbus etc. could be making themselves the hub of a national system. Being a gateway to the west again, which is how these places tended to grow in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM

64 posts, read 81,713 times
I rode the streetcar for the first time yesterday, and as convenient as I found it for getting from CBD to OTR (which took less than 10 minutes), the return trip was excruciating. I picked it up in OTR and it took me nearly 35 minutes to get from OTR back to CBD. I had no desire to add another 20 minutes to my ride (I wanted to get off on Main and 6th), so I hopped off at the Aronoff and walked over one block. I like the concept, and had I been a bit more knowledgeable of the route, I could have shaved a lot of time off by walking over to Music Hall to catch the downtown facing car. It was nice getting to two places I needed for $1 and not having to worry about moving my car, finding new parking, and paying additional parking fees.

I feel that there is promise here, and perhaps offering things like free or discounted parking with a ticket might help boost the numbers...

Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Cranley is not the cause of poor-ridership.
He is most certainly the cause of the poor ridership.

Frequent closings during operational hours, refusing to operate the streetcar during what would be peak hours, running a low number of trains on the tracks far below capacity....

It's a textbook case of how to run something into the ground.

If you don't believe it, ask yourself what happened when he was first elected into office, and more importantly WHY someone who took those actions would want the thing they fought so hard to have fail.... succeed.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:58 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times
Yep the previous council didn't have the votes to override Cranley's veto to do very easy improvements like raising the fee if you park on the tracks. He also delayed and delayed the downtown traffic study that should give the streetcar signal priorty. This should finally be done this fall. A lot if not all of the blame falls on Cranely. There are very easy fixes that have been explained and proposed before. It does appear council has the votes this time to override any Cranley veto...once they stop pissing on each other over the city manager.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:11 PM

654 posts, read 631,125 times
Kansas City's streetcar is overwhelmingly popular. Then again, it is free to ride. I wonder how many people would ride it if it cost $1 each way, not very many I think.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:33 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Yep the previous council didn't have the votes to override Cranley's veto to do very easy improvements like raising the fee if you park on the tracks. He also delayed and delayed the downtown traffic study that should give the streetcar signal priorty. This should finally be done this fall. A lot if not all of the blame falls on Cranely. There are very easy fixes that have been explained and proposed before. It does appear council has the votes this time to override any Cranley veto...once they stop pissing on each other over the city manager.
I think the FBI should look into it among other things that's been going on in his office.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
He is most certainly the cause of the poor ridership.

Frequent closings during operational hours, refusing to operate the streetcar during what would be peak hours, running a low number of trains on the tracks far below capacity....
Do you have actual evidence of that? Because no one else does.

The streetcar was closed during operational hours, but that was due to weather related events, namely that the street couldn't handle the weather.

You're not going to claim Cranley is responsible for the weather, are you?

Old 03-31-2018, 01:22 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do you have actual evidence of that? Because no one else does.

The streetcar was closed during operational hours, but that was due to weather related events, namely that the street couldn't handle the weather.

You're not going to claim Cranley is responsible for the weather, are you?
You provided it (I would have brought my own, but let's just use yours).

You mention the weather.
People do not control the weather but they DO control what is or is not defined as "inclement weather".

Cranley shut down the streetcar when people would have needed it most, during inclement weather.
Who wants to walk 10 blocks in a rain storm?
Wouldn't it be nice to take the streetcar instead?
Oh wait Cranley shut it down... and look at those ridership numbers tank.
Nice job Cranley, what a team player that guy is, making sure the streetcar is closed when people are going to be using it, what a guy.

Praise the lord he's term limited.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:40 AM

549 posts, read 848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Kansas City's streetcar is overwhelmingly popular. Then again, it is free to ride. I wonder how many people would ride it if it cost $1 each way, not very many I think.
Another Cranley cause. When I was working on the streetcar I shouted countless times that is needed to be fare-free. The cost of the fare collection equipment and fare enforcement far outweighed the fares collected. Cranley refused to even do a cost-benefit analysis of that option. Instead he made a "special taxing district" a wedge issue, knowing full well that Ohio law doesn't allow overlapping districts. He effectively got CBD and Over-the-Rhine residents fighting with each other which, of course, led to yet another impasse.

Cranley is VERY MUCH to blame for low ridership numbers. He has done an amazingly effective job at slighting and undercutting the project every opportunity he gets.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
It should have went from Covington and Newport to UC. As it was built it is primarily about gentrifying OTR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati