Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 PM

70 posts, read 271,002 times

Advertisements

We moved from Cincinnati to Raleigh and YES we miss Cincy alot. Great people and Gold Star Chili or Skyline and Frisch's as well are a Cincinnati favorite. Don't get me wrong Raligh is nice but I think I would take Cincy over Charlotte anyday. And the economy tends to stay stronger due to it being a more conservative city. Things go a little slower there then most places but not as slow as the south does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 164,922 times
Someone asked about how the arts and music are in Cincinnati...they are great!

We have a truly exceptional art museum (cincinnatiartmuseum.org), good childrens and history museums (cincymuseum.org), great orchestras (cincinnatisymphony.org and cincinnatipops.org), Broadway plays (broadwayacrossamercia.com) not to mention smaller scale theaters such as the Playhouse in the Park (cincyplay.com)

Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Of course Cincinnati is a real city.

It's considered medium-sized, and there's plenty to do for a city its size. The arts are first-rate. Every weekend from May through October there's some sort of street fair or festival.

Progressive, perhaps in some areas and definitely not in others, but that definition in the eye of the beholder.

Cincinnati's economy is more diverse than in the rest of Ohio, and has been less affected by economic struggles than the rest of the state.

The people are down-to-earth and genuine. Although they can be somewhat suspicious of newcomers, that fades quickly.
If I may ask, why is there suspicion of newcomers in Cincinnati?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 PM

30 posts, read 136,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
We give that information out on a strictly need-to-know basis.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
Quote:

ever been to new york? out of towners are out of towners...

Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
ever been to new york? out of towners are out of towners...
I don't get it. The suspicion of newcomers. Why the need for it?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psm0110 View Post
We give that information out on a strictly need-to-know basis.
Ha!

pirate_lafitte, I don't have an answer for you. It's just the way it is. Many native Cincinnatians (which I am not) don't understand why anyone would live anywhere else, even if you were born somewhere else through no fault of your own. And if you move to Cincinnati ... well, the first thought isn't that you chose to move to Cincinnati, but that you might try to change it somehow. The horror ...

Old 04-07-2008, 05:18 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
Quote:
I don't get it. The suspicion of newcomers. Why the need for it?
you have to be "broken in" to cincinnati. "you may have been the man where you're from, but you're in cincinnati now" is a popular notion. if you're from a new york or a chicago, people don't trust you because they may think you look down on them or the city. or in the hood, people will suspect you of trying to move in on their drug trade and turf. cincinnati's not having that. it's no accident that the city doesn't have an italian mafia family. all gangs are present, but small and loose. what i'm saying is, a lot of people feel like when you're walkin' them cincinnati streets, you're on your own. all bets are off. most folks wonder why you're out there, because they're used to seeing people leave and move away. even visiting, cincinnatians have been told how crappy and not-ny/la their city is so long that they don't believe the city could be attractive to outsiders.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
you have to be "broken in" to cincinnati. "you may have been the man where you're from, but you're in cincinnati now" is a popular notion. if you're from a new york or a chicago, people don't trust you because they may think you look down on them or the city. or in the hood, people will suspect you of trying to move in on their drug trade and turf. cincinnati's not having that. it's no accident that the city doesn't have an italian mafia family. all gangs are present, but small and loose. what i'm saying is, a lot of people feel like when you're walkin' them cincinnati streets, you're on your own. all bets are off. most folks wonder why you're out there, because they're used to seeing people leave and move away. even visiting, cincinnatians have been told how crappy and not-ny/la their city is so long that they don't believe the city could be attractive to outsiders.

I love it when people stereotype and lay blankets of generalizations over an entire group of people! Just what we need in a progressive world ... "Hey, let's just sum up everyone in a certain demographical area and slap a label on their forehead!" ...

Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 AM

30 posts, read 150,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
Hi. Interested in Cincinnati and what it has to offer. I presently live in Charlotte but am from the New England area. Charlotte is a very nice, clean and progressive city but if I were to live anywhere in the Midwest it would probably be Ohio. I actually considered moving to Columbus.
I drove through Cincinnati about nine years ago and was impressed by what I saw from the freeway. and enjoyed my time there. Is Cincinnati "a real city". What kind of "city life" does it offer? Do you considered Cincinnati a "big" city, "small" city or somewhere in between (explain).
What are things to do there for a visitor or a resident. How do you compare Cincinnati to Boston or Providence, RI. How are the housing prices?
I like Charlotte a lot but do not plan to stay here more than the next five years.
The answer is complex- if you carve out the cities and compared them, Cincy is truly the more interesting and beautiful city.
If you now put them in their geographic regions and compare them it gets harder. Cin is not a progressive city- and that is ok. Charlotte feels like it is more progressive. Ohio is not charging the nation in growth or opportunities and some like it that way. Charlotte is booming with all the excitement and problems that come with that. If you like yearly access to the ocean you have it in Charlotte. If you like access to the stunning mountains Charlotte has it. It still is a tough choice BUT if I had to pick a city from Cincy that I would have preferred to move to on the east coast it would have been Charlotte. I think if you are an east coast person but want to get out of the Boston to Wash craziness and get the "mid west" experience without moving there then the Roanoke-Charlotte-Ashville area can't be beat. Still think Cincy is a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati