U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 26,837 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear what you like, and don't like about your areas. I'm trying to decide between these three when my family relocates. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 PM

30 posts, read 123,627 times
I grew up in Montgomery 20 years ago. Only bad thing I have to say is there are quite a few stuck up people on the NE side. If you can get past the occasional jerk, it's a great area. Loveland will be less stuck up, plus it has Castle Skateland!! Seriously, Sycamore and Indian Hill schools are awesome, but be prepared for money-related social pressure and possible substance abuse (q.v., Traffic) problems for the kids. I'm having flashbacks to playground fights that broke out over Izod versus Polo. Loveland schools have improved much over the past 20 years, but still aren't at the same level as Sycamore.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM

252 posts, read 860,016 times
I currently live in Montgomery, and I love it. I have not found the "stuck up" folks the previous poster mentioned. I went to a private highschool in Indian Hill, so I can definitely spot someone who is supposedly snobby. I am Black, and we moved from Roselawn, a neighborhood closer to the city, and honestly, my neighbors in Montgomery are nicer than the neighbors I had in Roselawn..Regarding Sycamore Schools, I have no complaints. Regarding the social pressure, drugs, you will always have that when you are dealing with predominately affluent, well to do districts. Please note that Sycamore is VERY diverse, and its not a bunch of kids coming from million dollar homes, there is a wide variety.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
People close to me (sis and BIL) have never regretted settling in Loveland. They like its convenience to shopping, quiet safe neighborhoods, and unpretentious people. Even so, their two oldest kids attend parochial schools and the youngest of the four is in a Montessori program. From what I've observed I'd give the public system a "good but not great, and improving" assessment. But it's outshone by Indian Hill and Sycamore.

Given a choice between the three, and with school-age kids and with money no object, I'd pick the Sycamore district. Growing up with people from poor, working-class, middle-class, upper-middle-class, and even some uberrich families was an incomparable preparation for adult life in the real world. So was getting to know, and know well, folks whose skin tone didn't match mine or whose religious background wasn't the same or whose politics clashed with what I was accustomed to, etc etc. That's the kind of experience that a child can acquire naturally in the Sycamore schools, even if their house is in a homogeneous area. As for Indian Hill, "cool" people and ---holes can come from anywhere, but the omnipresence of wealth and privilege has its way of spawning mobs of the latter. I've known good, down-to-earth individuals from there, but the chances are greater of having snobbery and brattiness rub off than they would be in Sycamore's towns and most certainly in Loveland.

In between the Sycamore district and Indian Hill, geographically as well as socially, lies Madeira. (Just in case you wanted a fourth option, lol.) The schools there are roughly par to Indian Hill's and Sycamore's, but with a smaller student population. Madeira has its own "cute" shopping area along Miami Ave, and is equally near the Kenwood mall sprawl. Its demographic sameness is its main flaw, in my book, and this has brought on some racially not-nice incidents. But for Indian Hill without the estates, Madeira fills the bill.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 36,037 times
I found a job downtown Cincinnati and will be moving there from Indiananpolis in a month. I have an eight year old daughter and a good elementary school and convenience to other activities, such as Marlins swim team at 616 W. south bend at a Xevier High? I am looking for apartments as well for now. I found your post very helpful. But where should I start looking???? any single elementary school should I start with?

Last edited by lyn9055; 04-06-2008 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: more thoughts.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
St Xavier has a phenomenal swimming program, but it's an all-male high school. The Marlins are an invitation-only, performance-based team. You could visit the YM/YWCA Website to see where they're located throughout Greater Cincinnati - they have lots of programs for budding aquanauts.
In addition to the school districts already discussed in this thread, one to definitely consider is that of Wyoming (#1 statewide, Top 100 nationally.) Lakota (West Chester area), Fairfield, Princeton (Glendale, Woodlawn, Sharonville, Lincoln Hts, Springdale), Anderson, Mason, and Finneytown are among others that are positively thought of.
And that's on the Ohio side of the river! I hope Kentuckians will chime in with more about their towns, since - after all - downtown Cincinnati is a mere bridge away from KY.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:18 AM

80 posts, read 306,491 times
One great school district that hasn't been mentioned is Wyoming, which doesn't have the size pressures of Sycamore and less of the burden of wealth that Indian Hill has. Indian Hill is still a great school district, if you ignore the cars in the parking lot and just look at the teachers and the quality of education your kid will be getting, it's top notch. If you want more economic or racial diversity then Wyoming, Mason or Sycamore may be worth taking a look at. It's a really good idea to have your daughter shadow a student for a day/half a day to get a feel of what the schools are like and whether she would be comfortable there.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati