U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 15,767 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just accepted a my first real job in Cincinnati and am now trying to figure out where to live. The job is downtown so I want to hopefully be within 20 min. commute. I am 23 and getting married this summer but am NOT looking to start a family in the near future. We are both young and like to go out to bars and restaurants and want to make friends in this new city. However, neither of us have lived in anything near an Urban setting before. We grew up in rural areas outside of St. Louis and lived in big college town type settings during undergrad. We are also more casual as opposed to trendy. Where would be some good places to look into? We are thinking about renting first, but would also consider a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,018,278 times
Mt Adams, Eden Park, Clifton, Ludlow are pretty Trendy Areas

Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 AM

4 posts, read 35,520 times
I've grown up around the city and have lived in Mt. Lookout, Hyde Park, Mt. Adams and bought a house and now live in Oakley.

I'd suggest either Hyde Park or Mt. Lookout if you are looking to rent. Hyde Park is famous for its Square - shops and restaraunts. Mt. Lookout also has a great square but also boasts some of the best bars in Cincinnati (MLT's, Millions, The Stand).

If you're looking to buy - I'd look in Oakley. The average sale amount last year in Oakley was 190K (according to a recent Cincinnati Enquirer article). But you can definitely find a house for less (or more).

Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 PM

40 posts, read 186,832 times
Welcome to town - I agree with the previous posts. If you are not looking downtown all of those neighborhoods offer walkable neighborhood shopping areas as well as being close to bar and restaurant options.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM

245 posts, read 1,135,766 times
I would highly suggest renting your first year here to get a feel for the city.

Clifton Gaslight and Hyde Park are always safe, relatively cheap bets. Clifton's the artsy, crunchy Vermont-plates on Subaru wagon hood and it's popular with grad students. The trendy post college set tends to settle in Mt Washington, Oakley, and Hyde Park. You might be bored here though if you're married and have no use for all the bars.

Northside is going to be the next Clifton btw, but I think you need to live here first before buying anything as it changes street by street. The gay renovation team is there, and there's this HUGE old factory in the center of the neighborhood that's slated to be condos / apartments (it's taking forever though because they're going through the brownfield & historic grant process before they begin construction). That development alone will result in thousands of new people walking the neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM

156 posts, read 559,491 times
Take a look at covington, newport and bellevue as well to get your bearings. The more places you look at the better.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM

710 posts, read 2,648,678 times
I would recommend downtown, city west, mt. adams, or prospect hill

Old 04-18-2008, 11:39 AM

74 posts, read 247,935 times
Stay away from Hyde Park Square if you hope to be able to afford a good time. It has gotten so ritzy and preppy it isn't worth going to anymore, I'd say it is the "Suburbs" of the city. Clifton is great, good atmosphere. Pleasent ridge is brilliant but a bit farther out than you may like, still in the city though.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 10,221 times
hello..we are a interacial family and I say that because when moving we found it hard to sorta "fit in" so I am looking for a mixed area to live in. we are getting sent there for my husbands govt work. I am South American and he is Irish ..we are moving from S. California and speak fluent spanish and french..we are proud Americans but found it hard moving to small towns being mixed ..even in 2012!!
by hard i mean my kids suffer from names and delt with some nasty racist things... all while my husband serves our country.. hope someone can help!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnocolors View Post
hello..we are a interacial family and I say that because when moving we found it hard to sorta "fit in" so I am looking for a mixed area to live in. we are getting sent there for my husbands govt work. I am South American and he is Irish ..we are moving from S. California and speak fluent spanish and french..we are proud Americans but found it hard moving to small towns being mixed ..even in 2012!!
by hard i mean my kids suffer from names and delt with some nasty racist things... all while my husband serves our country.. hope someone can help!

There is no place in Cincinnati which has what you might describe as "mixed area." Cincinnati is stratified by economic condition and not by race or color. The locations where you might find married persons of different color living together are everywhere across Cincinnati. I live in the most desirable inner suburb, Hyde Park, and within sight of my front door three out of ten families are mixed color marriages or gay. A black cardiologist, a VP of our largest bank and his South American wife and dark colored children and a gay couple where one partner also appears to be mixed race.

And that is how it is across the city. I have never heard of any mixed race children being tormented in a predominately white school in Cincinnati. Assuredly, it would not be tolerated. Our local press has recently reported that white students have experienced some racial torment in predominately black schools. I have mixed race nieces and nephews and have never heard of any problem in the schools they attend.

Welcome to Cincinnati. If you post up a new thread with some information about your housing budget, work location and school preferences, I am sure many will offer to help with recommendations. I would suggest that you put your race and color fears aside and find the best neighborhood you can afford and enjoy the changes to a midwestern lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or