Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,439,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I know, New Orleans is an amazing city, but I think this hurricane happened in the wrong place. New Orleans has had a crime problem for decades, and the hurricane was just the topping of it all. Now 1 in 25 people are homeless in this city, and things do not look to be getting better.

Cincinnati has its problems, but luckily not on the level that Houston just had thrown into the picture.
houston has a big problem. huge. but i'd rather have the problem of people wanting to settle in my city, even if some are criminals, than having the rust belt, racist city, racist police image and the reality behind it. people hear that and they look elsewhere, especially black professionals.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 AM

28 posts, read 101,313 times
I live in Idianapolis now and really dont like this town, trying to decide between ST Louis or
Cincinnati, im in the import buisness and nice swap meets and flea markets in indianapolis are a joke. i was told Cincy had much more in the way of antiques and craft shows
i lived in houston area for 10 yrs, great place if you speak spanish, love ungodly heat and humidity, and like getting car jacked...most of my friends left H town long ago to Austin or San Antonio

Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 PM

310 posts, read 1,205,203 times
Default Houston to Cincinnati Move

Although I am unaware of the crime stats in Houston, I would say I am surprised to hear that comments on this forum favor Cincinnati as a high crime city. I have the website for the Cincinnati Police Dept which does give stats. Also, keep in mind, that when you move to this area......you are not necessarily living in the city of Cincinnati. In addition, when considering Cincinnati, I would add Northern Kentucky communities to your search.

City of Cincinnati -Statistics (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/pages/-4258-/ - broken link)

Old 05-02-2008, 04:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,783,996 times
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 02:40 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,696,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed
We've already established that this info is ridiculous as it includes all of Houston's 600 sq miles VS. Cincy's 78.

We've also showed that Cincy is a safer city in comparison, because stats were posted upthread that shows the city+neighborhoods of both cities ...

Take statistics 101 and come back.

Have a good weekend!

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 02:39 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 05:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,629,704 times
Hello, and welcome to Cincinnati! I'm here to tell you to relax - you made a good choice. The worst thing about Cincinnati is the weather and if that isn't a concern then you've got it made. The suburbs of Cincinnati are great places to raise a family, get an education, and live your life. I was born, raised, educated, married, have a career here, and am raising my kids here. Crime is not something we have experienced in any of the suburbs we've lived in. Here are some of the suburbs I would check out because they have good schools and low crime:

Blue Ash, which was voted one of the best cities to raise a family a few years back, and has good schools, terrific parks, a great recreation center, a nice golf course, and lots of outdoor concerts and festivals throughout the year - Taste of Blue Ash is worth checking out.

Wyoming is another beautiful neighborhood with good schools and a lot to offer. The stately homes there look like they came out of a magazine.

Mariemont has good schools and has been noted for it's walkability.

Montgomery, which just won an award for being one of Cincinnati's most desirable suburbs. It has a small town feel with big town amenities and good schools. I live here and from my house I can easily walk to two parks and a nature preserve in less than ten minutes at any time of the night or day without fear.

Madeira which is a very nice small town with good schools.

Loveland, which has a terrific bike trail and canoeing on the Little Miami River.
Housing prices in Loveland are a bit lower than the the other areas I've listed and they have good schools.

I'm sure other people will give you more neighborhoods to check out, but these are the places I have lived and/or have first hand knowledge of, so I know they are nice, safe places to raise a family. If you need any other information, please feel free to DM me.

Best wishes and welcome!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
We've already established that this info is ridiculous as it includes all of Houston's 600 sq miles VS. Cincy's 78.

We've also showed that Cincy is a safer city in comparison, because stats were posted upthread that shows the city+neighborhoods of both cities ...

Take statistics 101 and come back.

Have a good weekend!
Houston's a much larger city and has a larger pop. and spread.

It may not be perfect, but not "ridiculous" either.

I have a Master's and have taken several advanced stats classes.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 PM

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

OVERALL
MOST DANGEROUS 25:

St. Louis, MO
Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Compton, CA
Camden, NJ
Birmingham, AL
Cleveland, OH
Oakland, CA
Youngstown, OH
Gary, IN
Richmond, CA
Baltimore, MD
Memphis, TN
Trenton, NJ
Richmond, VA
Kansas City, MO
Atlanta, GA
Cincinnati, OH
Washington, DC
North Charleston, SC
Reading, PA
Newark, NJ
Little Rock, AR
San Bernardino, CA
Orlando, FL

Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,696,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Houston's a much larger city and has a larger pop. and spread.

It may not be perfect, but not "ridiculous" either.

I have a Master's and have taken several advanced stats classes.
Your replies do not indicate you have taken a single stats class ...

I would hope Houston is larger with 600 sq. mi.'s ... lol

Here's a copy and paste:

Quote:
"That's because Cincy is larger, unless you're referring to "city limits" and not population. Charlotte uses 243 sq mi to define it's boundaries, while Cincy uses 78.

This explains why Cincy has has roughly 600,000 more people in it's MSA and Cincy's population density is 3,879.8.0/mi² ... compared to Charlotte's 2,232.4/mi², more than 1,500 people per sq mi.

To the density that you noticed, that's also a good observation, there are 2,129.2/mi² housing units in Cincy compared to Charlotte's 951.2/mi².

Houston: 3,372 per sq mi
Cincinnati: 3,880 per sq mi

Houston is also 600 sq mi. lol.

I cannot find housing unit density stats on Houston, but I would bet that Cincinnati blows Houston out of the water in this area as well. If anyone can find it, please post it (Cincy is 2,129.2 units per sq mi)."

I'll speak elementary ...

When you take only 78 sq. mi. of a city and include it's urban core with limited suburbs to a city where it's boundaries include the urban core along with it's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th ring suburbs and compare the two, naturally the one with the smaller city limits is going to "appear" more dangerous.

In other words, do you think by including Indian Hill, Blue Ash, West Chester, Harrison, Milford, etc ... that this will help or hurt Cincinnati's crime statistics? I'm serious by asking this ... I'm curious as to what you're answer is!

It's really easy, just think about it for a second ...

Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Your replies do not indicate you have taken a single stats class ...

I would hope Houston is larger with 600 sq. mi.'s ... lol

Here's a copy and paste:

I'll speak elementary ...

When you take only 78 sq. mi. of a city and include it's urban core with limited suburbs to a city where it's boundaries include the urban core along with it's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th ring suburbs and compare the two, naturally the one with the smaller city limits is going to "appear" more dangerous.

In other words, do you think by including Indian Hill, Blue Ash, West Chester, Harrison, Milford, etc ... that this will help or hurt Cincinnati's crime statistics? I'm serious by asking this ... I'm curious as to what you're answer is!

It's really easy, just think about it for a second ...
Well, I have. I became quite good with SPSS since I had to use it so much for my thesis.
You should think about possibilities like that before making personal insults.

(By the way - I think you meant "its" rather than "it's" and "your" rather than "you're")

Some of the most dangerous areas of Houston are not in the core. Downtown Houston is actually quite safe compared to some of the more suburban neighborhoods, especially on the southwest side. So no, I don't agree with you.

Sounds to me like you're just grasping for straws. You're dead-set on your opinion and I can see the spinning will just continue. I'm dropping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati