Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 PM

405 posts, read 890,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Happened to me the other day when I responded to that fake surgeon's post.
Happened to me the other day too

Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cincy View Post
Comparing Houston to Cincy is like comparing apples and oranges.

I currently live in Houston, but grew up and went to high school in Cincy. While Cincy is a great town, I would never go back. There just isn't anything there career wise.

Houston is a boom town. The city has an entrepreneurial spirit that is simply unmatched in any midwestern city. That entrepreneurial spirit has enabled Houston to become one of the most diverse and fastest growing cities in the US. Everyone seems to do well in Houston, regardless of whether you are asian, hispanic, white, or black. Housing is also probably more affordable in Houston than Cincy believe it or not.

Economy - While Cincy has a slew of fortune 500s, Houston is 2nd on the list only to New York with 22. Cincy also lacks a large professional services base unlike Houston (legal, accounting, consulting, etc...) If you don't work for Kroger, GE, Federated, P&G, or 5/3 (and not in the medical field), your career prospects are pretty limited in Cincy.

Crime is relative. Sure there is crime in Houston, just like any other major city but you can avoid it if you live in the right areas. Cincy, crime areas are mostly inner city close to downtown. All the suburbs are pretty safe and clean.

Weather is also relative - if you like 4 seasons, cincy is the place for you. If you like hot and not so hot, Houston is the place for you. Cincy is definitely more pleasing on the eye with its rolling hills and parks. However, Houston has better restaurants, shopping, and nightlife.

Schools - Cincy has great schools if you live in the right area. Houston has great schools if you live in the right area.

Traffic - Contrary to what you might think, the traffic is actually worse in Cincy than Houston. Although a concrete jungle, Houston's massive freeways have added much needed capacity. Cincy's infrastructure was designed in the 50's or 60's.

Finally, Cincinnati is not a diverse city, so moving up the corporate ladder might be tougher if you are minority.

BTW, there is NO WAY Cincy is larger than Houston -I don't care what statistics you come up with. Houston's metro population is aproaching 6 million (probably is 6+ when you count the # of illegals) and continues to climb.

This describes the job situation in Cincinnati very well.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:34 PM

465 posts, read 473,822 times
Your career prospects may be more limited in cincy, but your cultural prospects are non-existent in Houston. Cincy felt like paris after spending a few months in houston. everything is relative.

Moderator cut: Edit: I'm leaving the disclaimer here so I don't bump this thread. This is a long dead thread resurrected by a random post.
Closed.
Yac.

Last edited by Yac; 12-19-2011 at 04:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati