U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 03:09 PM

12 posts, read 8,567 times

Advertisements

I know the "go to" seems to be "West Chester" or "Liberty Township" for this question, but I figure there has to be some other answers.

I was just wondering if there are any other places within a 30 minute drive of Cincinnati that have zero income tax and low/affordable property tax? Decent schools is also another consideration, and I know its unlikely but huge lots would be nice (willing to go down to a tiny 1-2 acre lot though if I have to)

I'm looking in the townships south of dayton, but the commute is a bit long to Cincinnati. That seems to pretty much leave Liberty Township and West Chester. That could be OK but those schools are monsterous. I googled to see if there were any other low tax areas and I haven't had much luck.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 AM

14,924 posts, read 25,526,250 times
Not in the state of Ohio where there are state and local income taxes and relatively high real estate taxes. Sure, living in a township MIGHT save you a few dollars in local income taxes, but there is still the issue of real estate taxes.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 AM

3,825 posts, read 7,368,887 times
So let me see if I understand. You want a larger piece of property, outside of the corporation limits, with smaller, good schools. I'm going to assume that you also want good roads and bridges, excellent fire protection and EMS services, as well as strong libraries and such. And then I also assume that you would rather not contribute very much to the maintenance of these services.

Have you searched for other threads about this, because it seems like this type of question comes up often.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
So let me see if I understand. You want a larger piece of property, outside of the corporation limits, with smaller, good schools. I'm going to assume that you also want good roads and bridges, excellent fire protection and EMS services, as well as strong libraries and such. And then I also assume that you would rather not contribute very much to the maintenance of these services.

Have you searched for other threads about this, because it seems like this type of question comes up often.
Thanks for your thoughts. I did search these posts and thats one way I found West Chester / Liberty Township!

I'll take dirt roads if you give them to me.. haha. I already Identified one place I'd gladly live (West Chester / Liberty Township)- just wondering if there are any others before I limit my search to just there.

I love Waynesville, but the commute is a bit rough. Other than that to me that is the perfect place (great schools, large properties, low taxes)

Liberty Township/West Chester has everything I like as well, but I was wondering if there is any other place like liberty township- maybe one with a smaller school than Lakota. Right now our RE agent is only sending us homes in Liberty Township and West Chester, and I didn't know if there was any other places we should be looking... if not then we'll buy there! Its clearly not a stretch to ask about it if there are at least two places I'd gladly live... not like I'm asking for something which doesn't exist.

I did find Franklin Township, or Clearcreek Township, but they are a bit north and Springboro is a huge school, so I might as well just stick with West Chester / Liberty. I'm fine going into northern kentucky, south eastern indiana, or past eastgate, milford, etc. Hard to find info on tax rates in all the small towns on the east and west. "

I'd rather have an "OK" small school (5,6,7) rating than a "great" (8+) big school. I'm fine in the rural and "redneck" communities. I just definitely do not want to be in a "community" or "neighborhood". Don't want to deal with neighbors.

Funny its easy to find property tax maps of northern ohio... can't find anything for south eastern ohio.... something like this would be great:
https://advancelocal-adapter-image-u...9-standard.png

I wanted to make it easy on everyone, but I added the "blurb" above.

Last edited by Arachnyd; 04-29-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Not in the state of Ohio where there are state and local income taxes and relatively high real estate taxes. Sure, living in a township MIGHT save you a few dollars in local income taxes, but there is still the issue of real estate taxes.
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm fine going to Indiana or Kentucky too. I know a lot of people that work in Cincinnati live in Kentucky... thats why I'm asking.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 PM

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? Yes

. What specific topic have you not found answers to? Other places to look besides West Chester/Liberty Township

. Where is you current location and environment? Rural North
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? I can settle for a small 1-2 acre lot, because I don't think I can get 500 acres affordably close enough to the city.

. Where will your work location be? Downtown
. Maximum commute time desired? 30m, 45m-1h in rush hour

. What is you budget for housing? 750k-1M. Could go lower or higher, but I'd like to save enough to buy several hundred acres a couple hours away in Kentucky or southeast OH and have a weekend getaway.
. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single Family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 4000 sf, 5 bed, large barn/yard
. Other specifics?

. Neighborhood environment? The less people the better. Prefer rural. Will settle for sparse suburban.

House Age doesn't matter.

. Diversity of income, race, housing? - Indifferent. Prefer not to know who my neighbors are, don't want my neighbors to care who I am.
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) 1 acre or more minimum.
. Very safe, low crime area? Medium to low. Not a high crime area.
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? I don't want it "noticeable" but generally don't live in fear. If its kids hooning in 4x4s and teens trespassing on your land during buck season, I can handle that... but if its murder/rape then it does bother me.
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities- NO HOA. Want no associations or facilities.

. Schools?
Preferrably small and not awful. Do not have to be great. Doesn't have to be great schools, but don't want the worst schools.

. Community amenities? Prefer none.

. Specific wants/desires?
-No income tax and low property taxes preferred.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:41 PM

1,957 posts, read 4,276,748 times
I would recommend southern Boone County as the schools are really good (especially Ryle HS) and are not too big. But the schools would still be suburban in comparison. So that also leaves southern end of Boone County in Walton-Verona Independent Schools, which are much smaller by comparison to Boone County's big 4 (4 high schools now, correct?). There is some development happening around Walton as that is at I-75/71's southern split. But much of the district is rather rural with land available. Commute would be the biggest draw back as you are looking at 30-60 minutes to downtown depending on distance from home to interstate, bridge traffic, accidents and road work.

I personally think you would be better off in Campbell County, especially in or south of Alexandria. Stay in Campbell County as the schools are better than the counties further south and east. Also, your commute up AA and/or US 27 would begin to stretch thin. Once inside I-275 beltway, I-471 or AA can get you downtown in about 20-30 minutes tops. AA has some lights north of Alexandria, and I would recommend that to US 27 though Cold Spring and Highland Heights as those are heavily commercial with restaurants and stores. Now that AA Highways / KY-9 is complete all the way to the Levee in Newport and thus the Taylor Southgate Bridge into local downtown streets, you can get downtown from Campbell County with minimal lights and no interstate routes.

While state taxes are a little higher in KY versus Ohio, property taxes are much lower and there is no local municipal or village income taxes to worry about. I do not know how tax laws work in regards to if you would still pay Cincinnati's local income tax. I am about to find that out with Norwood in the coming months and would like input from others on that front...

Also, property tax can be a killer (things like cars, livestock, pets, boats can all be considered taxable in KY), so keep that in mind as well. But real estate and property taxes are by far much lower on this side of the river. In the end it probably all evens out but you will get more land cheaper and closer to Cincinnati with decent schools on the southern side of the Ohio River.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:54 PM

14,924 posts, read 25,526,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post

While state taxes are a little higher in KY versus Ohio, property taxes are much lower and there is no local municipal or village income taxes to worry about. I do not know how tax laws work in regards to if you would still pay Cincinnati's local income tax. I am about to find that out with Norwood in the coming months and would like input from others on that front...
If you work in a community that has a local earnings tax, you will pay that tax EVEN if you live in Kentucky. If you live in a community that has a local income tax in Ohio, you may also pay there. Yes, that is double taxation but that is NOT uncommon in Ohio.

My worst tax return was the year that I worked in eight different municipalities in the Cleveland area and the DW worked in four. So many trees died.

Norwood is not too bad ... only 2%.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I would recommend southern Boone County as the schools are really good (especially Ryle HS) and are not too big. But the schools would still be suburban in comparison. So that also leaves southern end of Boone County in Walton-Verona Independent Schools, which are much smaller by comparison to Boone County's big 4 (4 high schools now, correct?). There is some development happening around Walton as that is at I-75/71's southern split. But much of the district is rather rural with land available. Commute would be the biggest draw back as you are looking at 30-60 minutes to downtown depending on distance from home to interstate, bridge traffic, accidents and road work.

I personally think you would be better off in Campbell County, especially in or south of Alexandria. Stay in Campbell County as the schools are better than the counties further south and east. Also, your commute up AA and/or US 27 would begin to stretch thin. Once inside I-275 beltway, I-471 or AA can get you downtown in about 20-30 minutes tops. AA has some lights north of Alexandria, and I would recommend that to US 27 though Cold Spring and Highland Heights as those are heavily commercial with restaurants and stores. Now that AA Highways / KY-9 is complete all the way to the Levee in Newport and thus the Taylor Southgate Bridge into local downtown streets, you can get downtown from Campbell County with minimal lights and no interstate routes.

Also, property tax can be a killer (things like cars, livestock, pets, boats can all be considered taxable in KY), so keep that in mind as well. But real estate and property taxes are by far much lower on this side of the river. In the end it probably all evens out but you will get more land cheaper and closer to Cincinnati with decent schools on the southern side of the Ohio River.
I would only pay the income tax in cincinnati for income earned in Cincinnati. Fortunately (or unfortunately), most my income is earned at my home. I know for a lot of people, most their income is from their primary employment!

Thanks for the referrals to Kentucky. I'm a bit worried about Cars/Boats. I'll have to look into the taxes there (I own a lot of collector cars and a boat), but you gave me some things to look into. I can probably get around most of that by having the collector cars and boat owned by a business instead of individual, but I'll dig in.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you work in a community that has a local earnings tax, you will pay that tax EVEN if you live in Kentucky. If you live in a community that has a local income tax in Ohio, you may also pay there. Yes, that is double taxation but that is NOT uncommon in Ohio.

My worst tax return was the year that I worked in eight different municipalities in the Cleveland area and the DW worked in four. So many trees died.

Norwood is not too bad ... only 2%.
You only pay for the income earned in that municipality. Almost all cities have tax forms where you get refunded for income earned out of the municipality. So if I earn 20% of my income in Cincinnati, I only pay Cincinnati tax on that 20%. I may get double taxed on that 20% between there and my home region (which is why I want a non-taxed area), but I don't have to pay Cincinnati tax on all 100% just because I work there!

For example, the city I earn a tiny bit of income in in this region is Kettering. This is the tax form I fill out so I don't have to pay kettering tax on days I'm not working in Kettering: https://storage.googleapis.com/proud...-fill-in-1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or