Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 23,880 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am being transferred to Cincy in 4 weeks to come. I checked on all the areas East and West. East is better for rentals but I 'd rather and decided to buy a house instead of renting since the RE is very cheap in Cincy, compare to San Diego, CA.
I have found a very cool house located in St Lawrence ave (St Lawrence corner and Price Hill). Is that area safe ? what kind of population live there (young/older/mixed etc....)? I am a Europeen jewish woman (no kids), what would be the non judgmental, not too religious, safest residential neighborhood ?
Thanks. I am planning on coming during the holidays to visit but your advices will be of a great help. I read most of the posts on this site and that is why I am asking for price hill neighborhood since no one talked about it.
Thanks again and Happy Holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 PM

146 posts, read 787,970 times
Default Avoid Price Hill like the plague!

It is a rapidly declining area with soaring crime rates. Ever since the city of Cincy got rid of a huge public housing project in the West End (near downtown Cincy), Price Hill has been flooded with Section 8 renters.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:48 PM

Thanks a lot. That makes it easy on taking a decision.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:10 PM

976 posts, read 3,850,134 times
Check out Cheviot. It is a great section of town not far from downtown Cincy.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 PM

I did some research, and although there are lots of section 8 in Price Hill doesn't mean it is a bad area unless these section 8 people are really messing up the area because they can care less, because they have anger against the society etc....
I just checked the crime stats and I found it very low at Cincy compare to other city in the US (Compare with population # of course). I have lived in San Diego which has 4 times Cincy's population and crime stats is equal or plus to Cincy. I lived in NYC, Vegas, Honolulu and Paris France where the crime is (Paris and NY) lot higher and I didn't feel it was that bad.
It is all relative. I am found of old history and architecture, I like the mixed communities and sharing culture. I still wonder what is the source of the problem meaning what do you call BAD. Is it color related, crime related, section 8 (poor) related, ugly noisy loudy section,. My concern is section with bad karma as drugs going on, prostitution, corruption of all type and crime etc... Are the people in Price Hill getting together and trying to get that little section of town back in what it should be ? How is the police responding ? (I read so many sites, articles, archive about Cincy that it looks so bad you do not even want to go and try to live in that city.
I will have to move there soon anyway, probably not in Price Hill as expected, since the confusion makes me wonder. At least I read some of you and different opinions which is good. I just need to see on what that is based on by myself.
Thanks

Old 12-27-2006, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 16,862 times
I would stay away from Price Hill, it is extremely crime invested! The property value in most areas are down. That is not to say that there are not a few houses that are nice, with a great view of the city, but if your neighborhood is full of drugs and violence, what's the point. Section 8 is relative to the type of persons that live there, and it deinitely is not color related in that since, because you will find a lot of people on section 8 in Price Hill that are not the color that most people would assume. The police respond when they want to respond. I have lived in Cincinnati my entire life, born and raised and that's not an area I would want to live in. I've been to Paris lived in some dangerous parts of Africa even, and I personally wouldn't want to live there. Yes Ciny is changing,but it has a long way to go, especially when it comes to crime. And anyone who didn't understand what happened here in 2001 would tell you that Cincy in terms of the cultural unbalance is changing, we have a long way to go. But I am confident that with this new mayor they are headed in the right direction. CIncy is a lot more conservative than San Diego, that's for sure. There is a lot of culture too.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 16,862 times
I would look at Historic East Walnut Hills, not Cheviot. East Walnut Hills is full of history, culture, beautiful views of the river, close to downtown, but it can be a little pricy for Cincy depending on what you buy. Plus, Eden park is really close, which is another area to buy in. But if anyone tells you to move downtown, I wouldn't go to City West. While P&G folks are flocking there to be close to work, so are the section 8 renters without critical screening.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:24 PM

51 posts, read 283,870 times
Default Price Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
It is a rapidly declining area with soaring crime rates. Ever since the city of Cincy got rid of a huge public housing project in the West End (near downtown Cincy), Price Hill has been flooded with Section 8 renters.

I second Subway's recommendation here....I have a friend who owned 2 properties there. Price Hill is an area ravaged by property flipping and foreclosures which has greatly damaged resale...I agree there are some nice homes there but combined with crime I would stay out....Maybe the area will experience a rebirth in the coming years but the violence etc, has to be under control before that is going to happen.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,011 times
I am a cop in the district you are questioning about. 1) Poohh is a jackass, since he's been here since 2001, he knows that we cannot do **** to fight what the good people of Price Hill want us to do, or else our ass is on the line cause the complaints that come rolling in if we target a couple drug dealers. And thank you we show up to every call that is put in. 2) St. Lawrence corner is not the best place to go. I would highly suggest anything west of Rapid Run Pk. Still city, but vast majority of all properties are ownership, not rental, and you know how that goes. Plus, you are still a few minutes depending on the lights from downtown, and very close to the more big box type stores which are just a minute away as well. ie., best buy, home depot, walmart (if you need it), target, those type. 3) Basically it is a great place, just adjust your target a little bit, cause the St. Lawrence corner area is not to sweet. 4) my email is heavy_ko@hotmail.com, feel free to contact me for additional info about the area. I have lived IN Price Hill for a little while now, and work all it 6 days a week from 11p to 7a, when the "freaks" are out, so drop me a line if you have any additional questions.
Like I said, it is a great neighborhood, but coming in to own, you need the right info.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM

884 posts, read 2,636,100 times
My friend was a police officer in Price Hill...Please do not move there. Cincinnati has a very interresting history. Back in the 1800's early 1900's you could divide the German west side and the Jewish east side down the middle with Reading road being the divider. If you want verification just call the Jewish houses of worship and they can give you some background. Not that the west would not be comfortable for you, however I do know the east and going north to Mason has more Jewish residents. Cincy in many ways is like Chicago. There are class,racial, and religious divisions. Try Mariemont, Amberly Village, Wyoming, Mason, Montgomery..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati