Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,470,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
" the most hardworking people are the working poor.
What in the world makes you think THAT??? There are PLENTY of Americans that work VERY hard jobs with l-o-n-g hours. AND they make good money. Some of them have college degrees, some don't. But they have the ambition to not remain poor for very long. And my guess is that very few of them ever whine about what happened to their ancestors before THEY were born...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 12:09 PM

122 posts, read 957,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
What in the world makes you think THAT??? There are PLENTY of Americans that work VERY hard jobs with l-o-n-g hours. AND they make good money. Some of them have college degrees, some don't. But they have the ambition to not remain poor for very long. And my guess is that very few of them ever whine about what happened to their ancestors before THEY were born...
Oh! Oh! Can we hear another "AMEN"!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 PM

122 posts, read 957,042 times
Just curious if the councilman who thinks there should be government assisted housing at The Banks, thinks we should also build them in Indiana Hill and Wetherington? After all, the rich shouldn't be the only ones to live in such nice surroundings . . . . <<<sarcastically written>>>

(Since when should the ones receiving the handout get to choose where they live? Beggars can't be choosers . . . although I have seen some very choosy people at the grocery store (steaks, deli bread & cold cuts, organic veggies, etc) only to see them whip out their food stamps as I stand there with my "limit 1" chicken that's on sale and day old marked down bread! I can afford to eat whatever I want, but I choose to spend my money in a way that stretches it out through my retirement!)

Old 04-18-2008, 12:23 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,438,669 times
qcp,

it wasn't a jab at the self-made. i'm of that same mold you're of and have the utmost respect for it. but i do believe a lady working at mcdonalds works harder for less reward than we do, despite our pressures to perform.

mircea,

of course my statement was very nonspecific. it's disconcerting that you tried to rip another african american down on this topic, instead of accepting that i was trying to make a point to a majority white blog about a perception held mostly by white people. people disagreeing with me is 100% kosher. suggesting i don't know my stuff is off-base.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
Oh my,
I am on section 8, with a 4.0 entering grad school and, raising an autistic child (reason for voucher). Does this make me bad, ghetto, filthy unmotivated? Not everyone that is on section 8 uneducated...
Besides, who is going to do all the dirty work? Such as cleaning bathrooms, cooking, in this area lol don't you get it!
This mindset is exactly why I cannot find an apartment in Cincinnati. Cincinnati is so damn cruel.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desireeoh View Post
Cincinnati is so damn cruel.
haha and amen

Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,470,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desireeoh View Post
Oh my,
I am on section 8, with a 4.0 entering grad school and, raising an autistic child (reason for voucher). Does this make me bad, ghetto, filthy unmotivated? Not everyone that is on section 8 uneducated...
Besides, who is going to do all the dirty work? Such as cleaning bathrooms, cooking, in this area lol don't you get it!
This mindset is exactly why I cannot find an apartment in Cincinnati. Cincinnati is so damn cruel.
Desireeoh, my sincere apologies. Yours is the perfect example of why generalizations about ANYTHING are dangerous. BUT I also see that you have plenty of motivation and I'd be willing to bet that you won't be doing dirty work forever. YES, we should help out those that need a hand up. But we should NOT make life comfortable for those that WON'T better themselves. Those that are content to do the "dirty work" for the rest of their lives deserve little more than rock-bottom wages. There should be an incentive to improve one's self. And NOT be given free or low-cost housing on the most expensive real estate in the City of Cincinnati. Since we working people pay the taxes, WE oughta make the rules about public housing.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,693,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Desireeoh, my sincere apologies. Yours is the perfect example of why generalizations about ANYTHING are dangerous.
Desireeoh, you proved a very good point about why people shouldn't generalize people that live in Section 8, only to generalize them back ... this is hypocritical and wrong.

Your point would have been stronger without covering everyone that lives within city limits as "so damn cruel".

Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Desireeoh, you proved a very good point about why people shouldn't generalize people that live in Section 8, only to generalize them back ... this is hypocritical and wrong.

Your point would have been stronger without covering everyone that lives within city limits as "so damn cruel".
it seemed that the inference was that the city of cincinnati's governmental body is cruel and unusual, which has proven to be true.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:10 PM
QCP QCP started this thread

185 posts, read 521,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
it seemed that the inference was that the city of cincinnati's governmental body is cruel and unusual, which has proven to be true.
I am not doubting you, as I am an outsider looking in.....but how so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati