U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 02:30 PM

43 posts, read 154,427 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any information on the west end. I am moving to cincinnati and there are some charming town homes in the west end, but I've heard mixed reviews about the area. I am 24 and will be moving with my finace and our dog, we are looking to be in the city around other young couples... any other places we should look into? Any help would be appreciated...thank!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 PM

245 posts, read 1,135,766 times
Right now, the West End is a bit of a warzone. Dayton St is good and then a smattering of artsy type pioneers here and there, but I'm not sure I would live there based on what you're looking for. Right now I wouldn't go dog walking during the day or night in the West End.

Northside is good and it's on track to be the next Clifton (the gay renovation team is all over Northside). It varies street by street though as does pretty much all of Cincinnati.
Clifton Gaslight is always a safe bet, and the neighborhood is very desireable if you want safe / hip / happenin.

Hyde Park, Oakley and Mt Washington are "young couple heaven" and very safe.

The way to find places here is to drive up and down streets in neighborhoods where you're interested and just call landlords. Landlords here are largely oblivious to Craigs List; they use the old style "For Rent" signs in the windows and they never advertise the apartment until it's vacant.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 PM

710 posts, read 2,648,678 times
Crime wise, the west end wasn't in the top 10 last year for cincinnati neighborhoods. As an aside, i would assume that Norwood was number one because they don't report their crime statistics.

I agree that clifton, hp, oakley, northside and mt washington are all very nice.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,938,008 times
west end is a no no. i used to work on central ave. and that was enough for me.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM

245 posts, read 1,135,766 times
Default City West

Moderator cut: orphaned - the post you were quoting was removed

OK I think I know the "charming townhouses" that the first poster might be talking about. "City West" is a new townhouse development which is located on the southern tier of West End - South of Ezzard Charles. "City West" should be "OK", but I'm not too sure I would buy there coming from out of town. I would absolutely consult with a downtown broker as to whether or not City West is a good investment. You can buy a newer townhouse in much better city neighborhoods for close to the same price and actually be able to walk around at night and not feel like you're forever locked inside your home. City West is an urban renewal project and it's a mixed development with some public housing (or residents that would otherwise be in public housing were it not for City West).

City of Cincinnati -City West (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cdap/pages/-3850-/ - broken link)

The area of the West End between Ezzard Charles and Liberty is not a place that anyone from out of town should consider. It's a "dead zone" of public housing, vacant lots, and vacant buildings.

The area north of Liberty has a few historic district designations here and there ( Dayton St) but at the same time... ... I don't think anyone from out of town should buy there. The homeowners in this zone are "urban pioneers" in the truest sense, and the area is newly popular with artists and edgier UC creative types.

The entire West End is not an area where you go walking at night. I happen to think that there are drug gangs running the area because every 2-3 weeks (or 2-3 days) there's a shooting of some kind and the people involved are rarely willing to cooperate with police.

Last edited by Yac; 04-28-2008 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDerringer0807 View Post
I am looking for any information on the west end.
The West End has had some improvements over time but is still a rough area with few amenities. I am not really sure about City west, I looked at them as an option for my relocation to Cincy at one point, but passed it over due to the neighborhood.

Please consider Over the Rhine, Downtown - CBD, The Banks, CUF.

All urban neighborhoods. OTR is up and coming with a lot of progress and younger folks. Downtown - CBD is also cool, though perhaps a few less of the younger crowd. CUF is college aged with families and others mixed in for good measure. Should you choose CUF make sure you understand the particular block you are choosing because some of those blocks may be loud at night with college parties.

Also, Corryville. It's up and coming and loaded with UC students and Medical Professionals working on Pill Hill (aka - one of the many hospitals located on the north end of the neighborhood.)

I would remiss if I left out Mount Adams. Lot's of nightlife and twenty somethings.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Since it's apparently gone unnoticed - this thread was born, and died, nearly four years ago. The OP ended up settling in Norwood, and hasn't been heard from in this forum since the middle of '09.

The fact that bulldozing most of Laurel Homes in favor of an inner-city Dreesville had the effect of putting lipstick on a pig is news older than even this thread. Mixed-income housing developments are racking up a poor track record everywhere. The "ghetto" element is partially displaced, in Cincinnati's case not only to longstanding bad parts of town but also to Westwood, Golf Manor, Colerain Twp, Roselawn, and Mt Airy. The part which remains "keeps it real" with violence and underground-economy participation. Starry-eyed yuppies who grew up in suburbia with a musical diet heavy on hiphop, voted for Obama, and were drawn to the idea of walking to Findlay Market and all the trendy OTR and downtown hangouts soon have their illusions dashed. An annual open-house tour showcasing downtown and close-in areas has begun omitting City West from its route.

End of story, and hopefully end of thread.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati