U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:06 PM

323 posts, read 932,435 times

Advertisements

Who remembers Uncle Al & Captain Wendy ?? When we lived in Stratford Manor they came to the neighborhood and all of us kids went wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 PM

295 posts, read 813,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
Who remembers Uncle Al & Captain Wendy ?? When we lived in Stratford Manor they came to the neighborhood and all of us kids went wild.

I remember them. Our son watched them everyday.

Was it just me or did they seem partial to the girls (not meaning this in a bad way)

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM

205 posts, read 805,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
I remember them. Our son watched them everyday.

Was it just me or did they seem partial to the girls (not meaning this in a bad way)
I was at work one day in the 70's and managed to find a TV in time to see my 4 year old son being carried on Uncle Al's shoulders to open the program.

In that case, at least, they weren't favoring girls.

I was never on the show but we had some kind of festival to collect money for some cause while I was a child in Golf Manor and we went to the Skipper Ryle program to present the money to whoever we presented it to.

That was kind of neat although I remember Skipper's demeanor changing as soon as we went to commercials. Seemed like a nice enough guy, though.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 PM

323 posts, read 932,435 times
That's right, I had forgot about him. If I remember right he had a mustache, I miss the good ole days.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:37 PM

289 posts, read 1,318,575 times
Default Uncle Al / Skipper Ryle

Quote:
That's right, I had forgot about him. If I remember right he had a mustache, I miss the good ole days.
Mustaches were not all that common then, especially on hosts of
kids' shows - it definitely gave Glen ("Skipper") Ryle a distinctive look.
His show was on channel 12, WKRC, in the mornings and may even
have aired at the same time as Uncle Al's show. The show featured
games involving children in the audience, as well as cartoons. I
seem to recall that Gumby was a feature of Skipper Ryle's show in
the mid-1960's.

Glen Ryle also had a radio show on WKRC-FM. I think it was called
"Jazz at Five." This was in the early days of FM broadcasting, when
local studios operated not only television stations, but also both AM
and FM stations. Anyone remember WCPO-AM (1230), and its FM
counterpart?

Al and Wanda Lewis (a.k.a. Uncle Al and Captain Windy) had a show
on Channel 9. It seemed to be geared toward younger children than
Skipper Ryle's show. I remember being in the audience as a very
young child; observing live the stiff, machine-like movement of the
actors in the Kroger commercial was very frightening at the time.
The show was a long-time advertiser for Al Nash's Mayflower movers,
Pat and Joe's furniture and, maybe Alber's ("Remember to say
'Uncle Al sent me!'").

Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,942,054 times
I liked Skipper Ryle's sock puppets The only ones I recall offhand were Wilma and Willard (pronounced "Wil-LARD.") Willard always started off saying things by laughing with a dopey "eee eee eee," while Wilma was the brains of the outfit. Her trademark greeting was, "Hi, hun-ney!"

Mention of Uncle Al opened a memory floodgate: the cheesy merry-go-round toward the end of each show, "Captain Wendy's" arrival heralded by taped footage of her "flying" through the air supported by visible wires, "Hi Ernie, hi Ernie, whaddaya know and whaddaya say?" I never had the dubious pleasure of visiting Channel 9 for a taping, but heard nothing but horror stories from those who did. Seems Mr & Mrs Lewis were childless and didn't exactly revel in their gig. You could often catch, just before a commercial break or between segments, their herding kids around.

Sing along with me (LOL): "Yum yum yum, Husman's potato chips, try some some, Husman's potato chips!" Do it today!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 PM

289 posts, read 1,318,575 times
Default When the chips are down

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Sing along with me (LOL): "Yum yum yum, Husman's potato chips, try some some, Husman's potato chips!" Do it today!
Yes - and always with an accordion accompaniment by Uncle Al, sporting
a porkpie hat.

Actually, Husman's had some catchier jingles for some of their other
snacks. Didn't they also make Dipsy Doodles? () Husman commercials
often supported local programs, like Ruth Lyon's "Fabulous Fifty-Fifty Club."

Speaking of hats, Skipper Ryle was no stranger to the accoutrement,
often appearing with a skipper's cap. If I recall correctly, his "character"
was a river-boat captain; one of the program's theme songs had the
lyrics, "Something's always happening on the river."

Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 PM

310 posts, read 1,060,436 times
Default Uncle Al, Captain Wendy, Skipper Ryle

Wow.......I haven't thought of any of those shows in ages. I was actually on the Uncle Al show and the Skipper Ryle show as a young boy. In fact, at the end of the Skipper Ryle show they chose a kid for the "Skipper Swap"....I was selected and won a big stack of games.......but didn't win the bike.

I also remember my older sister thought that Uncle Al and Captain Wendy were mean. If I look hard enough I believe we have pictures taken while at the show.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM

100 posts, read 311,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post
If I look hard enough I believe we have pictures taken while at the show.
Oh yeah--they used to give you a big black and white glossy picture of all the kids that were on that day. My mom has about 3 of them from when I was little in her scrap book. I hate when she drags that thing out for my kids. They think who everyone looked in the 70's is so funny and it is even more hysterical that I was on TV.

Those pics, my autographed Johnny Bench picture, and a Cincy Reds banner were some of my prized possessions circa 1974-75!!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:13 AM

18,045 posts, read 13,258,699 times
Quote:
Who remembers Uncle Al & Captain Wendy ??
I was there.

The excellence and quality of television programming in Cincinnati was unsurpassed, with the Paul Dixon Show, the Bob Braun Show, the Midwestern Hayride, the Cool Ghoul, Uncle Al, and many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati