U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 105,608 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are really interested in a house in Pleasant Ridge. I've seen a few comments on these boards about Pleasant Ridge, but they didn't tell me much. It seems to be the concensus that Pleasant Ridge is diverse, which is great, but that doesn't tell me really what it's like to live there. Has anyone lived there? The place we're looking at is near Losantiville road. Does anyone know anything about that area? In the neighborhood we're moving from (which shall remain nameless) my fiancee's car was stolen, mine was egged, our neighbors fix a car and rev an engine 24 hours a day right outside our living room window, they may be dealing drugs, and groups of teenagers walk through our side-yard right by our bedroom window and talk really loudly at all hours. Would Pleasant Ridge be a step in the right direction? We're looking for someplace quiet, since my fiancee works from home a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,369 times
Try Silverton. There are some nice prices on homes and is a quiet area.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
P-Ridge is a quiet and "family oriented" neighborhood, but of course there are exceptions to that rule since every bushel of apples contains a bad one or two. Its adjoining Cincinnati community, Kennedy Hts, is very "integrated" and mostly pleasant as well. Silverton lies just beyond. Once again, I recommend my Saturday Night/Sunday Afternoon Tests: drive or walk in the vicinity of your potential new house around 11 PM on a rain-free Saturday, and again at 2-3 PM on a sunny Sunday. Take note of noise levels, how many people are out and about, and whether you have a sense of security based on your observations. Freely approach people on Sunday who are out walking their dogs or weeding or whatever - folks tend to be open with persons showing genuine interest in their community, whether their take is positive or otherwise.

Losantiville Ave extends over two miles. After leaving Pleasant Ridge it skirts the unincorporated and "desirable" enclave called Ridgewood...then it passes through northern Golf Manor, and ends in Roselawn, both of which have definitely seen more "desirable" days and are now quite sketchy in parts. Bottom line: you should be OK no matter how far west of Montgomery Rd your prospective home is, but the closer to Montgomery the better.

P-Ridge was historically a WASPy section, and is home to one of Cincinnati's larger Presbyterian churches. Much of that population remains in residence, now joined by middle- and upper-middle-class AA families and a more diverse cross-section of Whites than was once true. By way of illustration, two of its "destination" businesses are an Ethiopian restaurant and a big used-record store. Pleasant Ridge Chili is a perennial stop for insomniacs and folks who don't want the night to end - it's open until 4 AM. Because Mt Lookout and Hyde Park get more expensive by the year, The Ridge is becoming known as "the new Hyde Park" since the housing stock is similar yet less pricy.

IMHO a move to Pleasant Ridge would probably be a sensible and good one.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Goyguy summed it up pretty well. Overall PR is pretty safe. The area around Losantiville is nice and for the most part quiet (a fire station is nearby and you may hear a loud cars on montgomery road). I walk in that area all of the time and have never had any problems. With that being said, there are places in PR that I prefer over others. I personally would not move near areas with large apartment complexes as there tends to be more loitering and noise issues. I have not really seen these issue with the four family apartment buildings though. My favorite part of PR are the areas around Woodford ave. and Ridge road. There are some really nice homes there and I notice on my walks that the side streets are very quiet. I also don't see a whole lot of teenagers walking around. PR would definitley be a step in the right direction.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 PM

11 posts, read 105,608 times
Default Thanks!

I just wanted to say thank you to those who responded. It was very helpful! We're making our decision on Sunday, so if anyone has anything more to add before then, have at it! Thanks again!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:21 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
Glad to assist!
Let us know the verdict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati