Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM

37 posts, read 151,715 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if there are any nice rural residential areas in the Cincinnati area that would be no more than a 25 minute drive to downtown Cinci (where my husband works)? The ideal rural area would have neighbors and a community who are welcoming or at least open and respectful to ethnic diversity (we are a homeschooling, African American family with five children currently ages 13 on down to 7 years old).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cincynurse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincynurse View Post
Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if there are any nice rural residential areas in the Cincinnati area that would be no more than a 25 minute drive to downtown Cinci (where my husband works)? The ideal rural area would have neighbors and a community who are welcoming or at least open and respectful to ethnic diversity (we are a homeschooling, African American family with five children currently ages 13 on down to 7 years old).

Cincynurse
You'd be more than welcome in my "rural residential" area in Southern Kenton County.

I commuted to Cincinnati for years and, although drive times may be more like 35 minutes or so (or less if you're a little more North of where I am), I think that may be offset by the somewhat lower property prices in this area.

We have 4 kids at home and I feel much better raising them in an area such as this where they can't just wander off down the street and we don't really have any idea what they're getting into.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,312 times
Default Rural Areas

You may want to look into Lebanon, South Lebanon, and Wilmington. Wilmington is about a 45 minute drive but a real nice small town. Also, Northern Kentucky is definitely an alternative.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
google puts wilmington to downtown at 56 minutes, without rush hour traffic.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
google puts wilmington to downtown at 56 minutes, without rush hour traffic.
I just googled and my location in Southern Kenton County is 35 minutes from 7th and Vine (which is consistent with my drive time from several years ago).

Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
kentucky is probably a better bet for rural. but keep in mind, gas prices are at all time highs and show no signs of abating.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:27 PM

37 posts, read 151,715 times
franke01 - THANK YOU for your suggestions. Is Kenton County a part of NKY? Can you suggest specific areas/neighborhoods in that area? The firm my husband works for is located on 4th and Plum (if I remember correctly : )

Mike Dunn - THANK YOU also for your suggestions. I am actually viewing Wilmington neighborhoods as I type and I must say what I see is VERY LOVELY. But, yes that commute would end up being burdensome - especially with no end in sight with gas prices. I will, though, take a look at the other areas you mentioned.

jlrosen - THANK YOU for the commute info....yikes!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
franke01 - THANK YOU for your suggestions. Is Kenton County a part of NKY? Can you suggest specific areas/neighborhoods in that area? The firm my husband works for is located on 4th and Plum (if I remember correctly : )
<snip>
Kenton County is directly south of downtown Cincinnati. Campbell County is a little to the East and Boone County is a little to the West.

I personally think that you get great value in NKY as far as housing is concerned and I've lived here for many years.

I should disclose to you that I'm a Realtor but I respect the terms of service of this board and I'm only attempting to give you the benefit of my experience.

As I said earlier, your family sounds like it would be a welcome addition to our community and if I can provide you any additional information I'd be glad to do so.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM

156 posts, read 631,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
Kenton County is directly south of downtown Cincinnati. Campbell County is a little to the East and Boone County is a little to the West.

I personally think that you get great value in NKY as far as housing is concerned and I've lived here for many years.

I should disclose to you that I'm a Realtor but I respect the terms of service of this board and I'm only attempting to give you the benefit of my experience.

As I said earlier, your family sounds like it would be a welcome addition to our community and if I can provide you any additional information I'd be glad to do so.
Agreed - the best alternatives on the ohio side of cincinnati would be due East down the river (right along the river). I'm not even sure what those places are called but if you drive a half hour due east, it's farm country and pretty nice.

Northern Kentucky - The Southern Side of Cincinnati | Home

I would go with NKY given what you are looking for - as long as you get outside of I-275, which will be under a half hour, you will be pretty rural. Kenton County down that way is very nice.

It's only about an hour due south to Lexington so you can get pretty far in a half hour's drive. Areas to look at would include Union, Independance, Taylor Mill (closer to city).

Traffic during rush hours can be tough... exit in covington and use the singing bridge if 75 is backed up- or use 471, which is usually better.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 AM

71 posts, read 229,354 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Cincynurse

Hello!!

I just had to reply to this when I read your post. Our family's have some very similar types that you listed.

Our girls our 10 1/2 - 3 yrs old. We have 3.

We are black. We HS. We( well sort of me but she is buying into it) wants to move to a more rural living area. I like southern Warren county. Areas like southern Lebanon and Morrow, Milford (more west), Goshen, etc. I have been driving those areas and love how peaceful it is.

My wife grew up in rural Germantown,OH. But lord knows I need space away from the in-laws or I would consider it.

I grew up in Cincy till age 13 but there is no way i want to raise kids in any big city of any state. I want to let my kids run out in the open country land and see green trees and farm animals

Well enough of my babbling. Your post caught my eye and I wanted to chime in. I hope your Family find what your looking for.

Darrel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati