Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 09:25 AM

120 posts, read 116,449 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Cincinnati. Already visited and love it. I'm looking for a warehouse/industrial type space. I'd like to build out living quarters (or convert existing offices) and use the rest of the space as a giant garage for my many projects. I need more space than a residential garage provides. Initially this would just be for my personal projects but I may start a business down the road and use the space partially for that purpose. Location isn't super important but I'd like it to be within a 20 min drive to downtown and it must be in Ohio - Kentucky isn't an option. I've been researching this for years and I'm sure it's what I want - I'm not here to be talked out of this. I'm here to find out if anyone has done this and/or has firsthand feedback about the legality/logistics of doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 09:52 AM

187 posts, read 302,190 times
I work for a contractor. To be done legally, the building has to be zoned for mixed use, residential and business. If you are looking at a property that is only zoned for business, call the building department and ask what is required to get that changed. I've dealt with the City of Cincinnati and other municipalities on the north side of I-275 such as Sharonville, and they have all been reasonable to deal with, so long as you play by the rules.

Regarding warehouse buildings, usually the large overhead dock doors are up off the ground, for trucks to back up to. Sometimes there will be one drive-in door for your garage purposes. If not, you would have to get a vehicle ramp installed at extra cost. Prefab ones are available but they extend out pretty far from the building so if you need one, make sure you have the space.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:53 PM

3,860 posts, read 3,112,188 times
Camp Washington especially somewhere on Spring Grove, Colerain and streets in between.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:50 AM

985 posts, read 385,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBeer View Post
Looking to move to Cincinnati. Already visited and love it. I'm looking for a warehouse/industrial type space. I'd like to build out living quarters (or convert existing offices) and use the rest of the space as a giant garage for my many projects. I need more space than a residential garage provides. Initially this would just be for my personal projects but I may start a business down the road and use the space partially for that purpose. Location isn't super important but I'd like it to be within a 20 min drive to downtown and it must be in Ohio - Kentucky isn't an option. I've been researching this for years and I'm sure it's what I want - I'm not here to be talked out of this. I'm here to find out if anyone has done this and/or has firsthand feedback about the legality/logistics of doing this.
You are looking likely 500K minimum and that could be anything from 4,000 to over 10,000 Sq. Ft.
Existing office or showroom space you probably wouldn't need to do to much to make it residential as often they already have a kitchen. A shower is what you usually will not have already built in.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:53 AM

985 posts, read 385,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Camp Washington especially somewhere on Spring Grove, Colerain and streets in between.
There North heading up 75, Carthage, Bond Hill, Reading etc.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:41 AM

187 posts, read 302,190 times
I understand the mystique of old loft buildings but agree that they will be expensive.

Another variation I have thought of for a combo living, project, and shop space is to use a building that is storefront on the first floor with apartments or offices upstairs. Some of these buildings have garage spaces, though it is tough to find.

Also may be able to use a small strip mall, would not have to be completely vacant, just have enough vacant spaces next to each other so you could remove or place doors in the dividing walls. Most of these are built on a concrete slab, and some have garage doors in the back for deliveries. Would not be impossible to install a single bay door in the back and pull in as many vehicles as you wanted.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,110 times
Did you have any luck locating anything?

With rates up, financing is tough. I hear contractors have fled to Columbus due to the CHIPS act and all the construction around chip fab. Seems a lot of reno in Cincinnati has slowed quite a bit.

There are very few zones I’ve found which have by-right zoning for live-work, but anything around tends to need major work. The city will partner on some rehab projects from what I’ve found.

I was going to redevelop a smaller property, but the pandemic supply chain got in the way, so wound up in turnkey spaces instead.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:50 AM

4,472 posts, read 6,196,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdarhine View Post
Did you have any luck locating anything?

With rates up, financing is tough. I hear contractors have fled to Columbus due to the CHIPS act and all the construction around chip fab. Seems a lot of reno in Cincinnati has slowed quite a bit.

There are very few zones I’ve found which have by-right zoning for live-work, but anything around tends to need major work. The city will partner on some rehab projects from what I’ve found.

I was going to redevelop a smaller property, but the pandemic supply chain got in the way, so wound up in turnkey spaces instead.
Im sure some have gone after money in C-bus around it's development Over the Rhine has always had a limited building supply and is essentially land locked by geographical boundaries preventing expansion. I see no slow down in current growth but understand there is an end point fast approaching where the wholesale renovation will slow quite a but due to limited housing supply in the neighborhood. This is a good thing in the scheme of things because it has pushed development up into Mt Auburn, and Lower as welas East Price Hill just to name a few examples...it's extended into Evanston and Walnut Hills as well. So though OTR may have slowed as it should, there is no shortage of renovation in Cincinnat.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:28 PM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
Do realize that you will have to heat and cool your residential space which I have found to be a lot higher in converted manufacturing spaces.

Also, do realize that unless you are buying a loft in a building which will all be residential or artist space, you run the risk of being surrounded by businesses that may make your living space much less comfortable than you expect. What happens if someone opens up a manufacturing facility in the next unit?

Old 07-26-2023, 12:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 6,196,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Do realize that you will have to heat and cool your residential space which I have found to be a lot higher in converted manufacturing spaces.

Also, do realize that unless you are buying a loft in a building which will all be residential or artist space, you run the risk of being surrounded by businesses that may make your living space much less comfortable than you expect. What happens if someone opens up a manufacturing facility in the next unit?
I hadnt considred this but you are correct. I worked for a company that was located in just such a building on Spring Grove Blvd over by the KAO facilities. It was just as you say, three story building with commercial space that was used for living space, band rehearsels, photography studios, etc etc. I did wonder how people endured living there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati