Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,201 times

Advertisements

Like another poster, I recently moved to Cincinnati from New Jersey, with its out of control taxes and home prices (but admittedly, much more to do and nicer areas).

My boyfriend and I are currently living in Clifton, and I'm not impressed with the college atmosphere, although the area does have a lot going on as far as events and nightlife. We're in our 20's, and I have a 3 year old daughter.
We're going to be buying a house within the next few months, and plan on spending around $80,000, and are only looking for 3 bedroom+, 1 bath+. Schools are not that important since I'm open to private school. We would like to live within 15 minutes driving distance of downtown. So far, we've looked at:
College Hill (impressed, but worried about the crime rate),
Springfield Township (again, a little worried about the crime rate),
Northside (didn't like the extreme liberalness),
Springdale (may be out of our price range),
Madisonville and Madison Place (we don't know much about the neighborhoods)

I'd prefer a house with charm, and interesting architecture. We're open to the east or west side, but not Kentucky or Indiana. We really want a safe, decent neighborhood within our price range.

Anyone have any recommendations? It'd be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Pleasant Ridge?

Oakley?? (Some parts..)...

One of the townships out on the West side .. ?? Cheviot??

You've covered most of the places in the city where you could reliably find something for 80K that I would have recommended..

Have you thought of a condo or townhome? Might get more for your 80K there and be in an area you'd like better..

Good luck to you!!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,881 times
college hill

Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,388 times
Hartwell has a great house on Avalon that is going for a short sale right now...someone will get it for a steal and it is in a great neighborhood where a lot of parents with younger kids have play dates and progressive dinners. Its a great neighborhood and there are a lot of postive things about hte location as well. Many people dont know the secrets of Hartwell but I am doing my best to spread the word! Hartwell school is the local school but St. James (Wyoming) is used by many families as well as St. Vivian up the road. If interested in that house, check out Craigs list, the family seems to update the info on there every couple of days. Its a cute place.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocops Uncle View Post
Indiana makes sense but I don't see why kentucky would be a problem when it's with in the same driving distance..haters
The reason we won't consider Kentucky is because the income tax ratio as well as the car insurance rates are significantly higher than on the Ohio side. While housing is cheaper, we'd be making it up in other ways. I lived in Covington for a short while when I first moved to the area, and I was paying about $100 more a month in car insurance and state taxes taken from my paycheck were about $70 more.

Hartwellgirl, thanks for the info, I did see that house and we're going to try to go see it.

Does anyone have any opinion on Madisonville, Madison Place, North College Hill, & Springfield Township?

Last edited by trancelogix; 06-07-2008 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 06-07-2008, 03:32 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,863,541 times
North College Hill- you can get good value for a home here, but there are more comfortable places around here where you can live for 80k.

Springfield Twp.- There are alot of neighborhoods in Springfield Twp. (where I live) and they are spread out all over the north-central part of the county. If you tell me specific streets or areas I can give you more details. Most of Springfield Twp. is diverse, middle class and safe with the exception of a few rough pockets here and there.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:39 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I lived in Madison Place for 13 years and loved it; I still visit often. It's still a mix of older people who have lived there for 50 years, 40-somethings who have lived there for 15 or 20 years, and younger people with and without kids, although the older people are dwindling in numbers.

Madison Place is very quiet, relatively crime-free, and within walking distance of the stores, restaurants, movie theater, etc. in Mariemont. It's the kind of neighborhood where everyone walks in the mornings and evenings, and hangs out on their front porches. People who don't take care of their homes -- and there always are a few in every neighborhood, yes, even in sainted Hyde Park -- are a rare minority. You'll get a lot more house for your money in Madison Place.

There is one private school right in the neighborhood, Queen of Angels Montessori, and Prince of Peace in Madisonville and St. Cecilia in Oakley are nearby.

The neighborhood known as Madison Place is east of Plainville Road between Indian Hill Road and Murray Road. It contains two political jurisdictions -- Columbia Township and the city of Cincinnati. The border between the two snakes through the neighborhood. Although technically, if you're living within the city borders, you live in Madisonville.

At my house on Hurd Avenue, my property line was also the city boundary. It was great because if I missed my garbage pickup on Wednesday, I could set my trash cans out in front of my neighbor's house on Friday.

The parts of Madisonville that are not considered Madison Place (are you confused yet??) are a mixed bag. Historically, it always was a mix of the rich railroad barons, merchants who ran their shops at the intersection of Madison and Plainville roads, and the people who worked for either the railroad barons or the landed gentry in Indian Hill. In the 1920s, the area built up with small, 1 1/2 story homes for working class folk and merchants.

There are pockets of good and bad in Madisonville; like most of Cincinnati, you walk any direction for 10 minutes and you're in a completely different place than you started out from. The Madison Place area I've already mentioned; other good areas in Madisonville include the neighborhood along Stewart Road and near Parker elementary school and the community center, and around Erie Avenue, Arnsby Place and Islington Avenue. In these areas, the houses are generally larger than those in Madison Place.

Any more questions, just holler.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 PM

26 posts, read 103,224 times
Nobody here has mentioned Norwood, which is probably your best bet. Small-town feel, great schools that are continually improving, very reasonable housing market, etc. Also centrally located between I-75 and I-71.

Would be more than happy to tell more, just ask!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 106,014 times
Norwood has great schools?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,515 times
Norwood ftw!!... close to 71 smith edwards exit #6. We just bought a house here and love the neighborhood. I know nothing about the schools here but the crime is far less than some of the other areas mentioned so there is a balance if Norwood schools are not perfect. You can get a great house at an affordable price that is close (walking distance) to Hyde Park and Oakley. I think this section of Norwood WILL be the next Oakley once prices become even more ridiculous on the other side of the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati