Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Chili Do You Prefer?
Skyline 12 50.00%
Goldstart 4 16.67%
Empress 2 8.33%
Other 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

I don't like the chili mix. Too salty. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Chili? You mean that mystery concoction disguised as a delicacy that only those who've never lived beyond the Ohio River enjoy? lol In all my years of travel, I can easily say that no where on earth does a spaghetti-sauce-like mystery goo like you find in Cincinnati qualify as chili!

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 03-16-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM

455 posts, read 1,883,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Chili? You mean that mystery concoction disguised as a delicacy that only those who've never lived beyond the Ohio River enjoy? lol In all my years of travel, I can easily say that no where on earth does a spaghetti-sauce-like mystery goo like you find in Cincinnati qualify as chili!
Greece... they just don't call it chili.

I dated a girl in Kiato, and when I went to visit one time, she cooked a pasta dish for me she called *something* Macaroni. I sat down to eat, took one bite and OMG it was exactly like skyline except for with white cheese.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Greece... they just don't call it chili.

I dated a girl in Kiato, and when I went to visit one time, she cooked a pasta dish for me she called *something* Macaroni. I sat down to eat, took one bite and OMG it was exactly like skyline except for with white cheese.
I had the same deja vu moment. I was working for a foodservice company and prepared the taco filling per the recipe. When I went to taste it, it was exactly the same as Cincinnati chili.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't like the chili mix. Too salty. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ...
I agree with you, especially if you use a smaller amount of ground beef. Increase the ground beef a bit and it becomes less salty.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:13 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Quote:
Did you really not know this was a Greek thing?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
A little off-topic, but it relates to Cincinnati chili...

Many, many blue moons ago my mom was making homemade Cincinnati chili in a crock pot. No one was home and when I saw it on the counter I proceeded to grab a spoon and dipped into it, not realizing it was extremely hot. (You can see where this is going, can't you? ) I stuck that spoonful right in my mouth, and proceeded to swallow away. Yes, I could tell it was hot, but I didn't know what to do! I ended up with major blisters inside my mouth and throat! I later told my aunt about it and she said "Well why didn't you just spit it out? It would have been a lot easier to clean off the wall, don't you think?"

Okay, boring story. Just something that came to my mind. Movin' on....

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Did you really not know this was a Greek thing?
For those that couldn't decipher my tongue-in-cheek response, I'm mainly referring to "chili" as we know it here in the United States (as I should have said). I know that southerners and southwesterner's scoff at the notion that Cincinnati chili is "chili" ("Where's the beef? Where's the beans?"). As far as Greece goes, no, I have not experienced Greek chili. But as chili-lover, now that I know that, I doubt that I will try Greek chili either should I ever visit that country!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
For those that couldn't decipher my tongue-in-cheek response, I'm mainly referring to "chili" as we know it here in the United States (as I should have said). I know that southerners and southwesterner's scoff at the notion that Cincinnati chili is "chili" ("Where's the beef? Where's the beans?").
Give a Texan the finest NC BBQ and the first thing they are going to say is "that's not BBQ!"

Everyone has their own little definition of what "real" chili is like.

This weekend, I am making chile colorado which will be pretty close to what Texans like. But Cincinnati chili is still one of my favorites.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM

204 posts, read 744,753 times
Default Some Cincinnati chili history

Quote:
For those that couldn't decipher my tongue-in-cheek response, I'm mainly referring to "chili" as we know it here in the United States (as I should have said). I know that southerners and southwesterner's scoff at the notion that Cincinnati chili is "chili" ("Where's the beef? Where's the beans?"). As far as Greece goes, no, I have not experienced Greek chili. But as chili-lover, now that I know that, I doubt that I will try Greek chili either should I ever visit that country!
It is not "Greek chili". Cincinnati chili is based on a Greek dish called stifado, which is a stew made with different kinds of stew meat, but has pretty consistent spice mix, similar to Cincinnati chili. When Empress Chili first opened downtown, it was the Empress restaurant, named after the Empress burlesque theatre next door. The Greek food they were serving did not sell well to the German immigrants frequenting the theatre, and the downtown area. So the owner made a "chili" with ground meat and the spice mix used in stifado to serve the theatre patrons after the show let out, late night. Nicholas Lambrinides {who started Skyline Chili} worked for owners Tom and John Kiradjieff.

So if you go to Greece, stifado is what you want to try. If you ask for chili, they won't know what the heck you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati