Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times

Advertisements

One of these days I've gotta get my cautious White butt out of the locked car and visit Alabama Fish. They "hook" (couldn't resist) you up for free on your birthday! Soul food restaurants in Cincinnati are known for their lack of longevity. Have never heard of Rachel's, and my sad assumption is that it probably went the way of Lena's (also in Roselawn, but not for long.) Ditto for Aunt Flora's on Warsaw Ave. An Italian-American friend of mine talks of knowing nothing about all the places that feature "her" cuisine in Boston: "Why would I pay to eat what somebody else cooks when I can do it better at home?" I've chowed down in more than enough AA households to know that's why soul-food eateries don't last too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,503 times
Did someone say Aunt Flora...oh please...pass the cobbler. LOVE IT!!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 AM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
One of these days I've gotta get my cautious White butt out of the locked car and visit Alabama Fish.
LMAO!! Do it! Your clothes will smell like fish and grease the rest of the day, and your arteries will hate you, but it's delicious stuff. Another place to try thereabouts is Tucker's on Vine Street, north of Liberty.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM

116 posts, read 301,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO!! Do it! Your clothes will smell like fish and grease the rest of the day, and your arteries will hate you, but it's delicious stuff. Another place to try thereabouts is Tucker's on Vine Street, north of Liberty.
OMG, Tuckers is still around! When I was in high school and college in the early 60s, a friend's father owned a furniture store in OTR that sold on time...We would go all over the West End and OTR and collect a dollar here and a dollar there. We would always eat at Tuckers. I haven't heard their name in years!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,413,493 times
Quote:
One of these days I've gotta get my cautious White butt out of the locked car and visit Alabama Fish.
When I lived in Cincinnati, I worked down the street from Alabama Fish...yum, yum! I think it's worth a trip back to Cincinnati just to eat.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM

710 posts, read 3,032,557 times
Tuckers is great and you shouldn't worry about OTR

Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 PM

116 posts, read 301,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Can I show a little 'soul-food' love here, fellow posters? I wanted to cast a 'vote' for Alabama Fish...I lived here once before in the late 90's, and if Alabama's had a Gold Card, they most likely would have given me one LOL...all they do is serve fried fish (perch, cod, whiting, etc) and side orders of peppers and onions wrapped in wax paper, with bread on the side as well, served 'old school' style in paper bags...there's usually a LONG line there at lunch hour, so they must be doing something right after all these years...another 'vote' for Rachel's in Roselawn...I've had some top-notch soul-food dinners there...and a nostalgia vote for a nameless place downtown near Fountain Square, next to Fountain News, that served up great brats, metts, and plain ol' hotdogs when yours truly used to work at Fifth Third HQ back in the day :-)
Where is Alabama Fish? The name isn't even familiar????

Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
Alabama Fish is at Liberty and Race St's. It occupies the northwest corner, you can't miss it.
The proprietress of Aunt Flora's is now in business with her daughter downtown somewhere. They're mainly into catering these days.
Lovers of Tucker's should go to the cincinnatimagazine.com site and track down the lengthy article about the place which was in an issue from a year or so ago. The family matriarch, now in her 80's, is still there "all the time" but a son is carrying on the business. Queen City vegetarians are a part of their big fan base, since evidently they can whip up some mean meatless dishes without once reaching for the tofu lol.
I have sharp street sense and have "hung Black" my entire life. My not going to Alabama Fish, Ollie's Trolley etc is in deference to my parents, who are well into their 70's and don't shy away from driving through OTR and Avondale and the like. But stop off anywhere to do anything in neighborhoods like that? Nothin' doin'. They squire me around when I'm in town and keep me well fed. Findlay Market? During the day, always together. Nicola's? No problem. Music Hall? Of course. Besides those three locations? Fuggeddabowdit!
Hey HartwellGirl, what's your take on Teranga?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,503 times
Hey HartwellGirl, what's your take on Teranga? I have never been there. I heard from people that it is good but I have no first hand information to help with..sorry.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:29 AM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Queen City vegetarians are a part of their big fan base, since evidently they can whip up some mean meatless dishes without once reaching for the tofu lol.
Tucker's does have the best veggie burger (order the works) I've ever had. And their hash browns are worth the trip, too.

Anyone been to Ollie's Trolley lately? I never thought that much of the food from the window -- it was convenient when I worked across the street at the ballet -- but every now and then we'd have them cater a lunch, and that food was scrumptious! Greens, mac and cheese, chicken ... yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati