U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,536 times

Advertisements

Was a huge fan of Bob Shreve (PPP) when I was a kid. Used to sleep all day just so I could stay up all night on Saturdays. I can't believe I still remember the phone number and address.

513-749-2300 (Talk to Bob!)

Send fanmail to:

Bob Shreve
c/o WKRC
1906 Highland Ave
Cincinnati, Ohio 45219

Still there after 27 years of storage. Lol.

That crazy doll that lost her head a few times. What was the real name of that thing? I know it was "kid". But I mean the store bought name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,474 times
Somebody may have already covered this, but Al and Wanda Lewis were not childless; their daughter was one of the instructors at my high school. They had met as students at the Cincinnati Art Academy and got work building sets on WCPO in the late 1940s. The Uncle Al Show was built out of that. There are lots of rumors about Al and at one time there was a very uncomplementary piece about the show in Clifton Magazine. I only met them once and got a face full of cigar smoke from Al. But I never heard an unkind word about Wanda, who was "Captain Windy," not "Wendy," by the way.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:25 PM

66 posts, read 55,040 times
Great memories of watching the Cool Ghoul on Halloween after coming in from trick-or-treating.

My favorite was staying up all night and watching Past Prime Playhouse with Bob Shreve. The little sound bites were hysterical.....you found yourself anxiously waiting for the bad movie to go to commercial and see what Bob was up to next, or who was in the studio with him.

Saw Bob as a kid at St Rita's Festival once, but only at a distance, did not get a chance to approach the man and express my thanks.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 AM

4,082 posts, read 1,473,982 times
Who could ever forget Bob Shreve on "The Schoenling All Night Theater"? I remember seeing all the classic Universal horror movies on there; Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy, Invisible Man. Awesome stuff back in that day and age.

As far as Al Lewis goes, that guy got around. He had a gf at a company I used to work for, came out once to get her with the 'copter.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:53 AM

682 posts, read 475,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globack View Post
It's confirmed that Uncle Al didn't like kids.
This old rumor still makes me laugh. Al and Wanda were homebodies who raised 4 daughters and doted on their dozen or so grandchildren after they retired to their farm.

Last edited by sspistol; 11-07-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 AM

682 posts, read 475,878 times
[quote=soozycue520;5014871]Wasn't a pony keg a small {half?} keg that used to be sold at said stores?quote]

No. They were called pony keg stores because back whe Cincinnati was the brewery district for several states people would drive their wagons up to them and the workers would load the kegs onto their wagons or carts and away they would go.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:16 PM

7,696 posts, read 5,424,227 times
Larry Smith and Puppets - The WXIX-TV Years

Old 01-04-2015, 02:08 PM

7,696 posts, read 5,424,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
Wasn't a pony keg a small {half?} keg that used to be sold at said stores?

And, yes, there are still "Pony Kegs" in Cincinnati. Many, actually:
pony keg cincinnati - Google Maps

AND, OMG!!!

"Police Call"!!! "Play It Safe"!!! My step-dad was on "Bowling For Dollars".

What memories!!
Bowling for Dollars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cincinnati TV Kid Shows

Old 01-16-2015, 03:18 PM

66 posts, read 55,040 times
Having a little break at work, and reading these again, really brings a smile....maybe some of you remember Al's Pony Keg on Brotherton Road in Oakley...I lived three houses from the pony keg going towards Ridge Ave, same side. Getting an ice cold Barq's root beer or red cream soda from the beer cooler was beyond awesome. Shooting the breeze with Dave the guy who worked that side...the owner Al singing Village People songs inside....lol. One of the kind ladies working there named Dottie, owned a '75 Cutlass and always nibbled on those Boston Baked Beans....Going across the street to Pasquale's for a slice of pepperoni pizza, next door to King Kwik for some baseball cards. Riding my bike around the block and down Cardiff Ave...walking my first dog....waving at the firemen there. Kindergarten at Oakley Elementary with Ms Mary Jordan as our teacher in the 1978-79 school year..still keep in touch w/her, she's 84 and sweet as the day is long.

More memories just flood.....I'm 41 but feel 141 remembering the tons of things that have gone by in a flash....riding to the taping of Uncle Al in my dad's 1970 Olds Delta 88. I'm here to tell you, that at five, I was spooked at being in front of cameras, and Uncle Al and Windy were as nice as you could want. Never saw them without smiles.

Adding to my hot wheel collection at Gold Circle, then going to the movies two doors away...Gold Circle Cinemas with their red carpet.

Hyde Park Plaza with Zayre....hot dog and fries at Woolworth's lunch counter. Ketchup was in glass bottles lol. The Plaza Restaurant with their gross Chiclets machine out front, Don's Barber Shop...Don Garnet...what a gentleman.

Going to see Coal Miner's Daughter at 20th Century Fox. Countless trips to Skyline and Gold Star.

Christmas at my sister's house on Marburg....shag carpet in our houses.

Living in Connecticut, where it's 20 degrees now, I do not miss tornado warnings.

Past Prime Playhouse with Bob Shreve....just the best.....

The festivals....a cold Hudy at St Peter and Paul in Norwood.....graduating from Norwood High.

Swallen's record department...always a good buy there...Rink's...Ontario on Ridge....I could go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati