Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 PM

19 posts, read 146,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1003 View Post
I was told that Uncle Al didn't like kids
Al had kids my age (early 50's now) that grew up in Watch Hill. Al loved kids. There is NO way you could do that job otherwise. That he didn't like kids is an urban legend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 PM

19 posts, read 146,380 times
Default Where do people get these rumors??

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Many a sunny afternoon better spent outdoors was wasted in front of Channel 19, LOL...if ordered to play outside, we kids just repaired to a neighbor's house where Mom either wasn't home or was more "understanding." Newly settled in Boston, I was overjoyed to see an old TV friend - Bob Shreve - MC'ing bad late-night movies. Either he'd "gone national" or had relocated along with me.

It was no secret that Al and Wanda Lewis, he in particular, had no love for kids. Rumor had it they were childless themselves. From time to time, one could clearly see Uncle Al herding and shoving "party"goers offstage when the show cut to a commercial. Where commercials were concerned, their homegrown promos sure were effective. Some forty years later I can still sing the jingle for Husman's, not see a Mayflower moving van without thinking "Al Naish," etc. I also remember the intro song for Ernie the Chimp (?), the puppet with its daily cameo involving bananas. Scary.
Al and Wanda had girls. At least 2. They would be in their fifties now. He loved children and this silly rumor is just that.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Once we'd gotten beyond the age of the Uncle Al target audience, my sibs and friends and I used to tune in sometimes just to see show "guests" getting manhandled. It was good for laughs during those middle-school years when everybody goes through a mean phase. When kids were reduced to tears from the rough treatment they were quickly removed from the group.
My job involves continuous public contact (though via phone at an inbound call center.) It suits me because by nature I enjoy being sociable and useful. But there are some work days - that're filled with the whining, hating, and clueless - which can't end fast enough. Al and Wanda Lewis, just like any other humans, had to have had days like that. Everyone does, no matter how much they may enjoy what they do. It's too bad, in a way, that their show was filmed live so any observant viewer could be in on their "down" times.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 AM

28 posts, read 90,774 times
Greetings! Was just reading everyones posts about Bob Shreve and other Cincinnati things and it brought back a lot of memories. I used to live 100 miles north and out in the country. On weekends I'd stay up late and on a good night I could turn the antenna a bit and pick up Bob doing his thing, it was truely hilarious at times. I also remember on Sat. afternoons the Dayton station would brodcast "Big Time Wrestling" and they had all the wrestlers everyone's mentioned. I'm just wondering if it was the same group or if both towns had there own "Sheik and Bo Bo Brazil". One that comes to mind I haven't heard mentioned was Fan Ferle Firpo(not really sure how to spell it) the 8th wonder of the world. I do know when I was 4 my mom took me to Rikes in Dayton and we saw Paul "Baby" and Ruth Lyons there. My mom still has the picture of me sitting on Pauls lap. Not sure what that was for, just know I sorta met him. I sure miss those nights when you could turn on one of the 3 channels you got on your tv and watch a movie, regardless if it was a bad movie or not. We need to bring back guys like Shreve, Doctor Creep(from Dayton) or even Fritz the Niteowl(from 10tv Columbus). I'm getting tired of the Extenze, GGW, and Colon Detox Infomercials.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 AM

3 posts, read 9,985 times
Default More Rinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
They had one on Route 4 in Hamilton, one on Reading Rd. north oy Bypass 50 and one on Turfway Rd. in Florence. There may have been others.
There were several more Rinks around town. One was over in Bellevue, Ky, another was in Milford (I believe this may have been the original) and another is now a flea market out on Hamilton Ave a little bit inside the 275 loop. If memory serves me right the store got its name from the fact it that the original store had been a roller rink . . .

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
they also have boxing.. i'm not far from rinks rumor was they was going to tear it
down and put a walmart there, just down the road from winton woods
they have venders outside selling pirated movies and cd.. it's mostly blacks that runs the outside inside they also have bingo, i think rinks use to be a store

Old 03-07-2009, 04:34 AM

There were several more Rinks around town. One was over in Bellevue, Ky, another was in Milford (I believe this may have been the original) and another is now a flea market out on Hamilton Ave a little bit inside the 275 loop. If memory serves me right the store got its name from the fact it that the original store had been a roller rink

Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 AM

Default Uncle Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOMReb View Post
Al and Wanda had girls. At least 2. They would be in their fifties now. He loved children and this silly rumor is just that.
Al & Wanda actually had 4 girls. I heard the same rumor about his dislike for children but I believe common sense would dictate you dont have 4 of your own plus have a show surrounded by kids for 35 years if you dislike kids.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,858 times
The Cool Ghoul. Bob Shreve and the Schoenling All-Nite Theater, etc.

I remember all of those jewels - I was born in '55.

Saturday nights/Sunday mornings in my Indiana home always was the place to gather and watch Bob ... "Anybody want to see Chickie a little longer?" ... great commercials, great talk - and Bob sometimes showing the affects of makin' sure the Schoenling in the studio was fresh. The different selection of pizza/foods that were delivered by representatives - usually a couple of sweet-lookin' women - of those establishments.

And the daytime classics ... Ruth Lyons and everyone in her umbrella of stars, Paul Dixon, Skipper Ryle (as mentioned) ... Uncle Al and Capt. Wendy ...

If I had it, I'd pay big money for DVDs of just one year's worth of those shows.
kh

Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul leinmiller View Post
Al & Wanda actually had 4 girls. I heard the same rumor about his dislike for children but I believe common sense would dictate you dont have 4 of your own plus have a show surrounded by kids for 35 years if you dislike kids.
I went to a birthday party at Al and Wanda's in about the 4th grade because one of those girls was in my grade school class. I don't remember much about it, but there was nothing weird about them. My siblings knew the other children better and I don't recall anything negative about the Lewises. The girls would be in their early 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati