Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM

17,540 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Was it Jeff Wyler? Where cars like eggs are cheaper in the country.
Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,973 times
Default Noooobody, But Noooobody Will Save You Money Like

Rudy Rhinehold Chevrolet. Nooooobody.

And sometimes, the commercials would just be that balding jowly guy standing there in front of the cars, sort of shaking his head, saying, "Noooooobody". In my mind, I always thought of Richard Nixon when I saw him--same era.

Okay, other things I remember from growing up in Cincy 1965 - 1970...
(that haven't already been mentioned yet)

Wiedeman Beer commercials "sin-cere and mon-u - mental" thirst ad campaign circa 1969
"All around town, the word's goin' round, the folks are friendlier at Alber's"
"Just look for the Red X, Kroger Red X, and laugh all the way to the bank"
"Easy does it, when you do it, the Gas and Electric Way"
WSAI radio and the little Top 40 Countdown sheets (later, little single-fold booklets) you could get each week at your record stores
Channel 12's pulling Dark Shadows from its afternoon lineup and WXIX picking it up
A song that somebody named Ted McKay did when the Reds went to the World Series in 1970 called "The Home of the Reds" where each player was named, "with Sparky, Ted, and Alex leading them on, it's the Home of the Reds, Cincinnati's gonna win again"
Dave Rhinehart and Fred the Jokeman on WSAI
Dusty Rhodes on WSAI ("Dusty, take me away with you")
Dave Crave, the Telephone Rave answering the phones at WSAI
Going to the top of the Carew Tower and putting a dime in the telescopes to look at the buildings close-up
Local Battle of the Bands concerts at LeSourdsville Lake or Coney Island featuring groups like The Us Two Group, The New Lime, and The Heywoods
The Beatles at Crosley Field in 1966 and The Monkees at The Cincinnati Gardens in 1967
Tom Dooley on WSAI recording "Have A Happy, Happy Time"
Girl Scout Day Camp at Winton Woods
Tri County Mall being the coolest place to shop
The Uncle Orry Show from Dayton
"Go to Rinka Dinka Dinka Doo's (and save your money) Rinka Dinka Dinka Doo's (there's lots of parking) Rinka Dinka Dinka Doo's"
"Happiness is a Partridge Weiner, a wonderland to eat" commercial filmed on the Shooting Star at Coney Island
The Old Music Professor on WLW radio (Mom listened to him--I listened to WSAI)
Paul Baby Dixon and the Chicken Wedding
My dad dragging us to Findlay Street Market to buy pickled pigs feet, limburger, and head cheese
My mom learning to fix goetta, German potato salad, wilted lettuce, and Hamilton metts
Eating pepperloaf and "chili 5 ways"

That's all I can think of for now. Oh, and the "please?" response (instead of "What?" or "Come again?") really threw me when I first moved to Cincy as a child. I remember my teacher responding with "Please?" after I said something and I didn't know what she was asking. I lamely answered, "Thank you?" LOL

Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 AM

246 posts, read 1,048,521 times
Default Elsa Sule

Long-time Cincinnatians will remember Elsa Sule from the old Ruth Lyons show. She passed away last week.

Cincinnati.Com | Cincinnati Enquirer | TV and Media Blog » Elsa Sule Passes Away

Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
lynn i do remember those ads

Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,023 times
How about the ads for MaMas cookies and the little marshmellow Ice cream cones you used to get on the Uncle Al Show. and when you went to the zoo the little train that took you on the tour with Al Schoetelkotte's voice. patty and pugie the deers at pouges christmas display downtown. going to santaland at shillitoes on Race street. the cement slide at burnett woods going to Fantasy Farm and going swimming in the pool that was filled with the water from the mill. The old Tri County Mall before they added the second level it had those ugly concrete animals that kids could play on. they also had safety land in the parking lot I think that was a little street scene with peddle cars that kids could go to learn safety rules. the old Sears store on Reading Rd.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 PM

17 posts, read 53,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
This is driving me nuts!!!! Who was it????
I recall the commercial and the first thing that popped into my mind was Bob Mack Ford. Was there a Bob Mack Ford??

Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,096 times
RE: Uncle Al RIP

A friend of mine passed away this past December, and he used to play organ for the Uncle Al show. I contacted Uncle Al's farm, and was told that we lost him earlier in the year (Feb '09). I played the music for some of the Watson's Pool City commercials, where Glenn Ryle was the talking head. He was a ball to work with! And my uncle lived next door to Bob Shreve in Price Hill, and I appeared on his weekend movie set back in 1977 promoting a play I was in..

I still have my 8x10 from the Uncle Al Show circa 1960. My, I was a handsome specimen..

Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Default John... Mahsha...

You wrote: They also showed these extended Larry Smith skits between movies . . . not involving Hattie the Witch and company, but other puppets acting out songs. I remember one where a female puppet would say "John!" and then a male puppet would say "Marsha!" over and over. Or another one where two puppets were drinking champagne and laughing.

That was a replay off the LP of a Mike Nichols and Elaine May parody, it was called "The Doctor."

Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Default The Hayride

[quote=ChiDiana;6927143]I enjoyed it! My granparents took me to see the Midwestern Hayride when I was a young girl. I couldn't believe how small the studio was, but everyone was so nice.

My best friend's Dad, Don Landrum, who ran the Landrum Driver's Training School was a dancer on that show!

Years later, I played piano/keyboards for Ebby Hoard, who previously had been Kenny Price's Bass player before Kenny passed away..

Wow, these threads show us how OLD we are!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Dixie Gardens Drive In and Dixie Skating Rink

Anyone remember these "rites of passage" from our olde teenage years? My sister worked the Drive In concession stand, and one nite when she came home with "suspicious" bruises on her neck, she explained (with a straight face, mind you!) that "the butter from the popcorn machine spilled on her."

I went thru puberty on ice skates at the Dixie Rink, being one of the then "regulars." We regular guys would spend all night scoping out the ladies, waiting for the ONE "couples skate" slow song..

I can't count the number times we would skate up next to a girl, then pass her, while simulataneously spinning around to skate backwards to see if they had any (cough) "appendages" before we got around to asking them to skate with us during the couples skate..

Then, after the 8:30 - 10:30 public skating, we would stick around and skate from 11p-7am. Ahh the days, when I had REAL ankles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati