U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,936,243 times

Advertisements

Unless you live within the Cincinnati city limits, the answer is yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
My daughter goes to Walnut Hills and is finishing up the 10th grade. She started there in the 7th grade. It is a wonderful school. There are not "evil doers" at the school. It is a school for smart kids. Most kids that go there would not want to go anywhere else. They have to pass a test to go there and keep up their grades while they are there. The cirriculum is college prep only and if you start failing classes, you are put on probabation. If you dont bring your grades up, you have to go to a regular high school. All the teachers have a help night, and there is plenty of oppurtunity to succeed and bring your grades before this happens. Academically it is a very difficult school. However they want you to know, they mean business and they dont have to time for foolishness. If you look at their stats their grad rate is 99% with 96% going on to 4 year colleges. It is the #1 best public highschool in Ohio, and was 34th in the country in 2007 according to Newsweek. The neighborhood is bad, however, it is like an Oasis. There are security gards everywhere. I see them in the parkling lots and in the halls patroling. "Evil doers" couldnt make the grade nor would administration tolerate it. It is a very diverse school. All religions, races and economic backgrounds are represented because students come from all over the city and even the world to attend there. My daughter tells me that bullying or the cliques dont exist there either. I think it is because they want to be there, they are smart kids, were mostly labeled "geeks" in other regular schools.
Now as far as the bus situation, they do ride a metro bus. However, the buses are dedicated strictly for Walnut students. I think some Purcell Marian students ride it as well. They run a Metro route but do not pick up the general public. I think they have around 15 Metros that run to and from Walnut to the different neighborhoods, as long it is a regular Metro route. I know 2 busses run from Mt. Washington to Walnut and both busses are full. Bus fare is free for 7th and 8th graders and a quarter each way 9th and up. As far as tutition goes, if you live in City limits it is free. I dont know how much it is outside of city limits. Hope this clears up any misconceptions about the school, the neighborhood and the bus situation. A word of advice, if your child gets in, have them ride the bus if possible. You do not want to get caught in Blair circle traffic, it is a nightmare! That is my only complaint about the school. Another tidbit of info: they are doing major remodeling this year. The distric is struggling finacially, but Walnut is able to do millions of dollars in renovations thanks to its endowment fund from Alumni. That is because Alumni have gone on to be very successful people themselves. I hope this clears up any questions or misconceptions. I want to move out of the city, but won't because I would not want my daughter to go anywhere else and I couldn't afford to pay tutition. My daughter wouldn't want to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati