U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 12,568 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I own an apartment building in Norwood. It is located about two blocks from the Urban Active complex parking garage off Smith Road, so it's right outside Oakley. We bought it b/c the area is supposed to be up and coming and it's a good investment. Presently, we are living in one of the units (it's a 4-Family) until after we get married. The area is safe. As a young woman, I feel perfectly safe walking my dog around the neighborhood, but we do have a few people who can get a little loud at times. Honestly, we don't plan to raise our family here b/c of the school district and I'm not too thrilled with the other parts of Norwood. There are a few young families on our street, but they seem to send their kids to private school. Norwood is a good neighborhood for young singles or couples with no children (like us). I can understand wanting to stay in the urban area, but you should realize that you may end up sending your kids to private schools. If you decide to buy in Norwood, any of the houses between Rookwood Commons and Surrey Square off Smith Rd are nice and reasonably priced, but probably need some work. Some of the houses are gorgeous. You could buy in Oakley, but you would probably end up in private school over there, too. Plus, you'd pay a lot more for the same old house that would need the same updates. Honestly, I would look in Mariemont if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,484,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
We just bought a house in Norwood and really like the area we chose. If you get off of I-71 at the Smith Edwards exit (#6), turn onto Williams at the Shell station and drive back into that neighborhood, any street you turn down back there has it's share of houses that need work... but there are plenty of really nice houses in the $130k to $170k range that would cost $200k to $250k if located in Oakley. As I've mentioned in other threads, this area of Norwood is a very short walk to Rookwood Commons/Pavillion or a longer hike to Hyde Park SQ and about a mile walk to Oakley SQ in the other direction. We have only been living in the new house for a couple of months so we are just now starting to explore deeper into Norwood. I am really looking forward to going to Quatman Cafe and another place we heard about called The Speckled Bird. We don't have kids so we really haven't a clue about the schools.

Question for anyone here who knows about the eminent domain issue...

I have been trying to get updates on what is happening with the area next to Rookwood that is sitting stagnant and fenced off with that old boarded up house in the middle of the weeds. I am familiar with the original Norwood V. Horney case, but am having a difficult time finding updated developments. Does anyone have any news on this?
From what i have read and heard - they finally bought the last couple homes and now are waiting on some zoning paperwork and other office work to finish before they can actually start working. No time table in place but it has progressed since the stalemate/court case.

G Man

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There are plenty of decent areas of Norwood: Glenside, Quatman, Fenwick are some streets between Carthage Avenue and Montgomery Road where the houses are smaller but well taken care of. If I recall correctly, there's an elementary school in that neighborhood. Some friends live there and it's perfectly safe. The area around Indian Mound Avenue is gorgeous.
Yes, i live off of Indian Mound and its a great area. You cant tell the difference between it and Oakley. The big thing with Norwood is it has a lot to do with what side of Montgomery Rd you are located on.

G Man

Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Native View Post
As someone who was born and raised in Norwood, I know a little. The Elementary Schools are good. Stay away from Allison Though. The Northern side of Norwood is nice. Like Glenside, Fenwick, Cypress, Laura Lane, Irving Place, Sheridan, Indian Mound areas. If your looking at the High School. DONT. Send your kid to a better School!
Right on point. The HS gets a very bad rap and most of it is deserved. Walnut Hills HS is a good option for people who live in Norwood.

G Man

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Right on point. The HS gets a very bad rap and most of it is deserved. Walnut Hills HS is a good option for people who live in Norwood.

G Man
I dunno, I'm no expert on these things, but WHSS is a school of the Cincinnati Public School system and Norwood residents are not in the cincinnati School District.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I dunno, I'm no expert on these things, but WHSS is a school of the Cincinnati Public School system and Norwood residents are not in the cincinnati School District.
No offense, but i am an expert - i went to Walnut Hills. It is a public school but as far as value it cannot be beat. It is very diverse which i think is important (unlike most of the private schools) and the quality of the education there is top notch. Anyhow, to your point, Walnut accepts student from anywhere as long as they pass the simple entrance exam that you can take in 6th grade. Went to school with a few peeps who lives in the Norwood city limits.
G Man

Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Well, its good to have an expert on the job, and there is certainly no disagreement on the quality of WHHS. One of my children graduated from WHHS not too many years ago and got immediate acceptance and full scholarship at RPI, one of the best engineering schools in the country. I attended WHHS for 3 years a long time ago, but, apparently it wasn't my cup of tea.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM

189 posts, read 600,745 times
Try St. Bernard. It is it's own city, like Norwood, and the schools are much better.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 AM

St Bernard, IMO is like the less desirable areas of Norwood. I think if you are looking on the eastern side of Montgomery, in Norwood, you get the Norwood prices and the Hyde Park neighborhood. In St Bernard, you get the nice prices but you get what you pay for.

G Man

Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 AM

189 posts, read 600,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
St Bernard, IMO is like the less desirable areas of Norwood. I think if you are looking on the eastern side of Montgomery, in Norwood, you get the Norwood prices and the Hyde Park neighborhood. In St Bernard, you get the nice prices but you get what you pay for.

G Man
Some areas of St. Bernard are better than others. It is smaller than Norwood.

However, my point was the schools are better. That's what the OP was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati