Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 AM

27 posts, read 105,971 times

Advertisements

Wondered if you guy could dump some information/ideas about Norwood on me. I've read the forum enough to get an impression that a lot of people don't think highly of it, but that certain parts, particularly the pocket near Oakley, are pretty decent and may have potential to be up-and-coming as people get priced out of Oakley proper.
We need a decent elementary school. I've seen and heard mixed reviews of the schools. I know they don't have the best scores, but they're said to be improving, and I personally do not always take scores to be the best indicator of whether a student will have a positive experience in school. I want good education but I don't necessarily want the snob culture I think exists in systems like Mason, Lakota, and to an extent Sycamore.
Because of the kids, true city living would be difficult, but we aren't gung-ho on suburban life, so Norwood seems like a potential compromise. (And it has lower taxes.)
What do you think? And are there any pockets/streets you would recommend for/against?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:12 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
There are plenty of decent areas of Norwood: Glenside, Quatman, Fenwick are some streets between Carthage Avenue and Montgomery Road where the houses are smaller but well taken care of. If I recall correctly, there's an elementary school in that neighborhood. Some friends live there and it's perfectly safe. The area around Indian Mound Avenue is gorgeous.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,858,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
I want good education but I don't necessarily want the snob culture I think exists in systems like Mason, Lakota, and to an extent Sycamore.
Because of the kids, true city living would be difficult, but we aren't gung-ho on suburban life, so Norwood seems like a potential compromise.
Norwood could be a very comfortable and convenient place to live, but I'm afraid you may find the school district a little too blue-collar to your liking. I would suggest looking at some of the other school districts of the inner-ring suburbs such as Oak Hills, Northwest, Finneytown, Winton Woods, Princeton, Deer Park and Reading.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 AM

455 posts, read 1,883,868 times
We just bought a house in Norwood and really like the area we chose. If you get off of I-71 at the Smith Edwards exit (#6), turn onto Williams at the Shell station and drive back into that neighborhood, any street you turn down back there has it's share of houses that need work... but there are plenty of really nice houses in the $130k to $170k range that would cost $200k to $250k if located in Oakley. As I've mentioned in other threads, this area of Norwood is a very short walk to Rookwood Commons/Pavillion or a longer hike to Hyde Park SQ and about a mile walk to Oakley SQ in the other direction. We have only been living in the new house for a couple of months so we are just now starting to explore deeper into Norwood. I am really looking forward to going to Quatman Cafe and another place we heard about called The Speckled Bird. We don't have kids so we really haven't a clue about the schools.

Question for anyone here who knows about the eminent domain issue...

I have been trying to get updates on what is happening with the area next to Rookwood that is sitting stagnant and fenced off with that old boarded up house in the middle of the weeds. I am familiar with the original Norwood V. Horney case, but am having a difficult time finding updated developments. Does anyone have any news on this?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
HuskerDu, last I heard was that the Burtons sold their property on Edmonson Road, and that Mr. Horney's property is the only one remaining. That was a few months ago, I believe.

Driving past there just makes me sad. That was a solid, vibrant neighborhood. It's absolutely disgusting what happened to it ... but that's fodder for another thread.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Ohiogirl81, I've read a little about Norwood's Eminent Domain conflict; is any of the property involved currently the site of the Meijer, Target, and all those other big box retailers and chain restaurants just S of the Lateral? Just curious because I frequently deliver there. FWIW, I'd love to see that old factory that is immediately South of the Target and Meijer redeveloped into retail or apartments. Or both...

Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM

74 posts, read 281,765 times
Norwood is a quirky sort of area with a definite rundown feeling in parts. Although much nicer in others. Seems like a nice community to me.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM

410 posts, read 586,545 times
I owned a house in Norwood for years. As a single woman with no kids it was great because it was cheap & safe. I have friends have who moved out of Norwood a few years ago because they were so unhappy with the education programs.

You might want to check the following links to see what programs are provided the test scores & graduation rates.

Norwood schools - Norwood public schools - Norwood school ratings - Best Norwood schools

Welcome to Norwood City Schools

Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
As someone who was born and raised in Norwood, I know a little. The Elementary Schools are good. Stay away from Allison Though. The Northern side of Norwood is nice. Like Glenside, Fenwick, Cypress, Laura Lane, Irving Place, Sheridan, Indian Mound areas. If your looking at the High School. DONT. Send your kid to a better School!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,640 times
I generally agree with all the above comments about Norwood. Some nice areas, some rough areas, very blue collar.

If I had to guess, Norwood is going to become a "hot" neighborhood once residential real estate rebounds. The location is just too good. Granted, you are surrounded by either mediocre neighborhoods or freeways on all sides, but it's really convenient to Rookwood, Hyde Park, and Oakley.

There are already a handful of young professionals buying up houses in Norwood, and I'd expect that trend to continue - at least for the parts close to Rookwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati