U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,969 times

Advertisements

My job has granted me the opportunity to transfer either to Louisville or Cincy. I was leaning towards the heart of St. Matthews area in Louisville, but my $120k budget doesn't get much. Are there comparable areas in Cincy. Walkable suburbs would be great, I would like to use my car as little as possible. I'm picturing something like Mariemont, I've been there, but larger and with more restaurants. I would also like to stay around 110K if thats at all possible. I was also wondering how is Cheviot, because I'd work right around that area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
You don't have to live in Mariemont to take advantage of it -- there are affordable houses just west of Mariemont in Fairfax, or north of Mariemont in Madison Place. Both are within easy walking distance of the square.

You also could easily find affordable housing in Cheviot, or in the part of Westwood that abuts Cheviot. Slightly more blue-collar than Mariemont, that's for sure! But that's not a bad thing.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 AM

710 posts, read 2,649,044 times
you can get a nice condo in prospect hill for about that price

Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM

310 posts, read 1,060,010 times
Default Looking in Cincinnati

You may want to consider some Northern Kentucky areas like Covington, Newport and Bellevue.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 PM

205 posts, read 805,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post
You may want to consider some Northern Kentucky areas like Covington, Newport and Bellevue.
Or Erlanger, Alexandria, Florence, Burlington and many others.

120K will buy you a pretty nice place in today's market!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Default Cincinatta, and Loovull too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You don't have to live in Mariemont to take advantage of it -- there are affordable houses just west of Mariemont in Fairfax, or north of Mariemont in Madison Place. Both are within easy walking distance of the square.

You also could easily find affordable housing in Cheviot, or in the part of Westwood that abuts Cheviot. Slightly more blue-collar than Mariemont, that's for sure! But that's not a bad thing.
What she said. Took the words right out of my fingers!

I also like Oakley, Northside, Pleasant Ridge, and Clifton. (In Clifton, south of Ludlow and west of Clifton Ave makes for the happiest combo of comparatively low costs and UC-student noise levels. This holds true all the more the farther west on - say - Probasco St or Riddle Rd you go. The southwest corner of the neighborhood, around Fairview Ave and Ravine St south of West McMillan and sometimes known as Fairview Hts, is a viable option as well.)

Corryville is off my reco list until the crime problem's cleaned up. Knowing Cincinnati, this will happen in time and maybe before long. There'll be a police "saturation" of the area like what's been happening in OTR, so White people and their money won't be scared to visit much less move in.

"East" Walnut Hills between Madison Rd and Victory Pkwy and Woodburn Ave is the latest but not greatest of Cincy's gentrifying communities. Give it a look-see too. OTOH I'm not in the Prospect Hill fan club. It and "North" Avondale abut neighborhoods that are in serious trouble.

Louisville has a lot to like about it, but the "happening" part of town seems to lie entirely along a 2-to-3-mile stretch of Bardstown Rd. That thoroughfare reminds me a great deal of Ludlow Ave in Clifton. Some of the side streets are decidedly more upscale than others. I'm sure you could find scads of potential dwellings your money could buy. From what I observed during an April '08 visit, it's "act now" time along and near Broadway where it forks from Bardstown Rd to head downtown. Late-1800's row houses are getting refurbished and "flipped" at a breakneck pace. At the other end of the "endless" shopping/dining/entertainment stretch of Bardstown Rd, turn due east at the big McDonald's and check out what's within the enclaves bisected by Taylorsville Rd. These areas with their sylvan streets and 1920's-50's houses of all sorts call to mind Cincinnati's Roselawn and Westwood, only without the "flight" problems dogging those Queen City sections. Past I-264 and beyond Hurstbourne Parkway, "J Town" (Jeffersontown) is a peacefully "integrated" and solidly middle-class burg. The homes are straight out of Colerain and Springfield Townships, predominantly brick Capes and split-levels and ranches, with small but nice yards. Remnant woodlands afford lucky J-Towners with plenty of breezes and an abundance of songbirds.

So...which paddlewheeler will win the loyalty of this thread's originator? The Delta Queen, or The Belle of Louisville? :-)

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM

710 posts, read 2,649,044 times
Corryville's crime stats are lower than oakley and northsides

Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM

27 posts, read 91,192 times
In my humble opinion, it depends partly on where you're coming from. Where are you coming from, by the way?
The cities are similar in many ways. I've lived in both. Each has a high Catholic German population. In each place p[eople will ask "Where did you go to school?" and they will mean "which Catholic high school."
But if you are from the north, Cincinnati might suit you better. Native Cincinnatians are more like northerners or maybe midwesterners, but they are not southerners at all, unless we are talking about urban Appalachians, but that is a whole other thread.
If you are from a southern area, Louisville might be better. In many respects it is a southern city. To me, it is much more laid-back. But then, I am a southerner myself.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM

13 posts, read 68,790 times
If you want to live in an area that has more of the heart of Cincinnati, then you need to live in one of the communities that are within 5 miles of downtown. E. Walnut Hills has a lot of beauty when you take a look at it. Eden Park is close by with it's great overlook. I love to take my kids to Eden Park for the beauty and the multi-culture they can be a part of.

Some may argue that E. Walnut Hills is too close to the hood, however the same is said about Hyde Park, Mariemont or any other community in the heart of Cincinnati. If you move to the outer belt, you really aren't a part of the city and will be missing what makes the town great.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:58 PM

13 posts, read 68,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
In my humble opinion, it depends partly on where you're coming from. Where are you coming from, by the way?
The cities are similar in many ways. I've lived in both. Each has a high Catholic German population. In each place p[eople will ask "Where did you go to school?" and they will mean "which Catholic high school."
But if you are from the north, Cincinnati might suit you better. Native Cincinnatians are more like northerners or maybe midwesterners, but they are not southerners at all, unless we are talking about urban Appalachians, but that is a whole other thread.
If you are from a southern area, Louisville might be better. In many respects it is a southern city. To me, it is much more laid-back. But then, I am a southerner myself.
Cincinnati has Doris Day as a part of our German Catholic population!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati