U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,703,875 times

Advertisements

they called that area in the middle of the plaza an "arcade"... I remember being 7 or 8 years old and thinking "oh boy, there are video games in that old strip mall!?!". Alas, it was just an oversized hallway in the center of the plaza with stores up and down each side. That was back around 1980. My grandma lived on Orchard Lane not a block down from Kenwood Rd. There was a little store called the Kenwood Beverage up near the corner of Kenwood and Orchard, now the parking lot outside Trio restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,125 times
I remember Spare Change and Casual Corner being in there.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 AM

205 posts, read 805,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
they called that area in the middle of the plaza an "arcade"... I remember being 7 or 8 years old and thinking "oh boy, there are video games in that old strip mall!?!". Alas, it was just an oversized hallway in the center of the plaza with stores up and down each side. That was back around 1980. My grandma lived on Orchard Lane not a block down from Kenwood Rd. There was a little store called the Kenwood Beverage up near the corner of Kenwood and Orchard, now the parking lot outside Trio restaurant.
Yes. It was called "Kenwood Beverage Stop". I have one of those flexible rubber change holders with its' name on it somewhere. Now that you mention it, that little strip mall on the corner of Orchard and Kenwood also had a UDF, a Bank (5/3 or Provident?) and a barber shop in the 60's.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:38 PM

252 posts, read 859,921 times
There was a shoe store called "Panache", I loved that store!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,188 times
Zino's was down by the Pgues, and when they first started enclosing the plaze to eventually become the Kenwood Towne Center, Zino's was the first business moved 'indoors'.

It completely ruined the business and it soon closed up, as did all of the Zino's and the Oni Z's sandwich shop on McMillan, which I just adored.

Also, in the old plaza, was the Pewter Place, which has evolved into the Gilson's, now located in Madeira.

Also, back in the early 80s, there used to be lots of Starving Artists sales on the Kenwood Plaza sidewalk. In fact, I am still hanging one of the paintings in my home.

It's funny how the old Kenwood Mall is now a Plaza and the old Kenwood Plaza is now a Mall.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:46 PM

4,981 posts, read 7,758,835 times
Was there a place next to the old Kenwood Plaza (during the 50's) that was like a very small amusement park with a few rides?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,028 times
How about a Kenwood Lincoln Mercury Dealership and a Dinner Theatre called Beef and Boards???

Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM

710 posts, read 2,648,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Was there a place next to the old Kenwood Plaza (during the 50's) that was like a very small amusement park with a few rides?
way before my time, but my uncle said they had miniature golf and trampolines there. I don't know about the rides

Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 15,894 times
Default Zino's Kenwood

"Zino's was down by the Pgues, and when they first started enclosing the plaze to eventually become the Kenwood Towne Center, Zino's was the first business moved 'indoors'.

It completely ruined the business and it soon closed up, as did all of the Zino's and the Oni Z's sandwich shop on McMillan, which I just adored."

It's very nice to see that other people remember Zino's. I was actually looking for other former Zino's employees. I am glad that I stumbled across this site.
You are right about the effect on Zino's Kenwood with the enclosing to become a mall but other factors led to them all shutting down.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM

12 posts, read 47,562 times
I am trying to remember the Kenwood Beverage Stop. Coming down Orchard toward Kenwood, did it sit on the right hand side behind the little strip plaza?

I remember the strip plaza. It had a bank, a UDF and a Teasdale Fenton dry cleaner. My mom worked in payroll for Teasdale Fenton at their main plant. I loved going to the UDF. Every once in a while dad would load us up and off we went on a night run to the UDF, pj's and all. Us kids in pj's not dad . Dad would get a pint of hand packed ice cream. I always had to big decision between chocolate malt or hot fudge sundae.

Across the street was the shopping mall, before they built Kenwood Mall, I remember it had a McAlpins. That was by far my moms favorite store so we were in there a lot. Since this is the restaurant thread I will mention that McAlpins did have a coffee shop. Mom and I had lunch there many times. Loved the chocolate malts from there. There was a back door at McAlpins which is where their beauty salon and wig shop were located. Those wigs fascinated me. They also had a toy shop where much of my Barbie doll collection was purchased.

There was a dime store there. I remember every Easter the multi-colored chick and ducklings that were sold there. Again restaurant thread so, I remember the lunch counter at the dime store. Mom always without fail ordered their Patty Melt. I was the grilled cheese kid myself. One year they were giving away sapplings. By the time we got there they were all out. When we were leaving there was a piece of a broken cherry tree laying in the parking lot. We took it home. My dad put it in a bucket in the garage. We planted it behind the garage. I remember years after moving away riding back by the house and that tree was huge. I also remember the Santa House being located in the center part of the plaza at Christmas. Although nothing could top visiting Santa downtown at Shillto's every year. Dinner and hot chocolate at Crickets, looking at the windows display, Santa's secret shop and of course the maze to see Santa himself.

There was a bowling alley behind the plaza. Mom and Dad were on a league that bowled every Sunday afternoon. I loved those Sundays because dinner was always Frisch's take out. There I was the Chili and Spaghetti kid.

Do you remember Kenwood Tavern? It was on the corner of I believe Garden Rd and Montgomery Rd? I remember eating there. At least I ate. That is where my mom and dad discovered the nectar they called a Manhattan.

I remember when the Kenwood Mall was built. I remember Shillito's, Spencer's (grooviest store on the planet), LaRues ohhlala hot dogs, The Hot Shoppe, a record store (the second grooviest store on the planet). That is where my mom got her first and only James Taylor Album for Mothers Day. Walked all the way there by myself and picked out the perfect present for her...again all by myself, lol.

Heading up to the other end of town. We did most of our grocery shopping at A&P on Blue Ash Rd . I remember the wildlife books they had. You got the book than at checkout you got the stamps to put in the books. In that same area there was a little store kind of at the corner of Blue Ash and Deer Park Road. I remember when they got an ICEE Machine. Oh the joy of summer brain freezes. I think a small Cherry ICEE was .10 and a large was .15. Wasn't there a small gas station/ store on the corner of Blue Ash and Orchard Ln? Going north on Blue Ash I remember a small neighborhood type bar. I would ride up there with dad on Saturdays after he cut the grass. He'd get his glass jug filled with tap beer. We would sit at the bar and he would order a Huddy draft and I would get my weekly treat of fountain coke. It was always dark and much cooler in there than it was outside. There was also another bowling alley right around there somewhere. I remember it had a piano bar with a 2 way mirror looking out into the bowling alley. Mom and Dad knew the lady that played the piano in there, so we went there sometimes to listen her. Of course I always headed straight out to the bowling alley to watch the bowlers.

Do you remember Millers Produce Stand on the corner of Irwin and Galbraith? Oh I loved when mom and I walked there in the summer. I ate many a grapes on the way back home from there.

Were you ever woke up by the produce man on the street? He had his cart and he would yell out in a sing song voice, Strawberries, get your fresh strawberries. Mr Softee Ice Cream Trucks. Yard Carnivals. Garage Bands. Actually there was a Garage Band on the corner of Orchard and Irwin. I remember them practicing. That wasn't you, was it?

Okay, that is enough for now. I am sure you were very sorry you ever asked me about Kenwood Beverage about a 1,000 words ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati