Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 PM

75 posts, read 120,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
And a state liquor store was towards the back as well. I still remember that, even though I was still about 10 years away from legal drinking age.
The State Liquor Store had all the appeal of shopping in the Soviet Union. Very drab. I suppose that’s how Ohio made money before it got into the lottery business. Is it still in the liquor business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibaschitz View Post
The State Liquor Store had all the appeal of shopping in the Soviet Union. Very drab. I suppose that’s how Ohio made money before it got into the lottery business. Is it still in the liquor business?
It sure is, though the state run liquor stores have given away to state franchises to private stores. The state still sets the prices though.

And all the bars, restaurants, etc. in the vicinity of the private store must purchase their liquor through them which helps increase their volume.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-18-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 PM

75 posts, read 120,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It sure is, though the state run liquor stores have given away to state franchises to private stores. The state still sets the prices though.

And all the bars, restaurants, etc. in the vicinity of the private store must purchase their liquor through them which helps increase their volume.
Thanks, kjbrill. It sounds un-American to me. There’s a reason for all those liquor stores conveniently located just across the bridge in Covington.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
At least when we pass on, hopefully one of the kids will be in a position to take the dining room set. I can guarantee in this day and age they would never be able to afford a set even close to the quality, because the quality is not even being made.
You can find very high quality furniture constructed these days. However, FEW are willing to lay out the cash required to purchase that quality. Most people will NOT lay out $3k for an excellent oak bedroom set when they can head down and buy that cheap Ikea pressboard for $400. Of course, you will replace that stuff in four to five years.

I have worked with a couple of Amish guys in Arthur, IL who will pretty much build whatever you want in whatever wood you would like. They did a phenomenal cherry dining room set a few years back for the Mennonite Relief Sale.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times
Quote:
I remember when Kenwood Mall opened up across the street between Montgomery Rd and I-71. The anchor store was Shillito's. Initially it was a very pleasant place to shop, not all the large and fully enclosed. The west wing had a Thriftway Market, where I used to shop on a regular basis, particularly enjoying their meat selections.

Later on the original Kenwood Plaza was reconstructed into what is now Kenwood Towne Centre and Kenwood Mall is now Sycamore Plaza. They have both changed quite a bit, and I am not sure for the better. The rusting hulk in the Towne Center next to I-71 has to be an embarrassment to the entire complex.

I now view the Towne Centre as a difficult to get into and also get out of shopping experience. Far too much time spent trying to get where you want to shop and then back out. Seems like they are still geared to the '60s idea of going to the mall and spending the day tromping around from store to store, i.e. shopping. I believe that idea has run its course. People today have a much more selective idea of what they want, and are just deciding whether to review and buy it in the store or order online.
A couple of years late in following up but just saw your post and do I ever remember it!

My first real job (other than the one I lasted about a week at over at Alber's across Montgomery) was at Shillito's and I was hired before it opened. (as an aside we new fresh faced teen employees were ceremoniously handed a little pamphlet entitled Your Job and Our's with a forward by Fred Lazarus - it inspired us to do great things and not get fired for a longer period than was customary).

Anyhow, where 71 now sits was just a bunch of earth moving machines trying to construct it. That area sat fallow for many years (I hitchhiked past it for years to and from Moeller) but soon became the shining example of whatever it is today!

LOL

Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times
Fond memories. Hotel Discovery, Skolniks bagel restaurant( I was assistant manager there). SuperX in the plaza. The old bowling alley(It was still alive after the Towne Centre)

Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,144 times
We must have grown up next door to each other!!
The Kenwood Beverage Stop ("the Bev" as we called it) was on the south side of Orchard almost to Kenwood Road. Many pop bottles cased in for candy and soft drinks there!!
The little store across from the A+P in Deer Park was called Wimmers Deli (I believe) and it was at Hegner and Blue Ash roads.
The little gas station further north on Blue Ash at Clifford was a tiny Texaco station called Gabbys, which I'm assuming was a play on the fact that Gabby himself was rather deaf and used a hearing aid the size of a softball :}
The "Garage Band" on the corner of Orchard and Irwin was the home of Jim, Karen, Mark and Gary Minchell--childhood friends. My brother Chris Kruse played in the band(s) as a teenager. We lived on Richmond at the foot of Clifford.

I have very distant memories of a "carnival" at the Kenwood Plaza when I was very young--I was born in 1958.

Toy House, WT Grant, Tune Time, Fanny Farmer, Eastern Hills Camera. By far Toy House was my favorite!

Last edited by Yac; 06-02-2016 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 06-08-2016, 06:39 AM

6 posts, read 4,790 times
I remember all of this. The Howard Johnsons because I worked there for over a year. I lied about my age because that summer I was only 15. My best friends mother worked at Macaplins for several years.
The lot across from the plaza had a putt putt golf course, trampoline,s used car lot .My mom told me that they were going to put in an enclosed shopping center with water falls there . I remember Shillittoe's ,Spencers gifts always burning incense. The record store, I bought the Beatles White album there the day it came out.

Definitely remember Orchard lane. Sometimes I had to walk home from after working at ho jo's to Blue Ash. It was easier to walk down Orchard lane and walk along the rail road tracks into Blue Ash rather than hilly Kenwood. Remenber taking guitar lessons from Bruce Hock at Buddy Rogers music. Some bands playing in the garage at Pogues. Often got a malt from from united dairy farmers. Had a friend with a red corvett pumping gas at Sohio gas station. Went bowling at kenwood lanes several times. The Chysler dealer with the big roadrunner hemis. Yes the good old days.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 PM

6 posts, read 4,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
way before my time, but my uncle said they had miniature golf and trampolines there. I don't know about the rides
yes I remember the put put, trampolines and I worked at the Howard Johnson in late 60s

Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 596 times
Does anyone remember the name of the Gray Drug restaurant. I'm pretty sure it had its own name. I remember taking the dollar my mom gave me for a Saturday afternoon bowling league and skipping the bowling, (I was 12) and using the money to Invite girls my friend Regis and I would meet at Kenwood Mall, to invite them for lemon Cokes anf fries at the Gray Drug restaurant. Ah youth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati