U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM

205 posts, read 805,167 times

Advertisements

Anyone have memories of Kenwood Plaza which evolved over time into the Kenwood Towne Centre?

I remember lots of the old stores but I'm sure there are many that I don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:40 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I think I'd only been there once, on a cold winter day! The only reason I went there was to go to Zino's.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:48 PM

87 posts, read 307,271 times
Sure. My family spent a lot of time (and money) at the plaza.

Let's see...there was McAlpins, Krogers, Kressge's (a five-and-dime type store), Pogues, Burkhardts (men's clothing), Albers Supermarket. And there was a Howard Johnson's Restaurant on the corner of Kenwood and Montgomery.

I know I'm missing a lot of stores...hopefully someone else will fill in the blanks.

Believe it or not, I don't remember Zinos. Was that after the Towne Center was built?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM

116 posts, read 194,588 times
There was a Grey Drug Store.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1003 View Post
There was a Grey Drug Store.
There was!

It was located down by Kroger's and McAlpins.

I remember it because way back then I think it was open late on Christmas Eve and I went there to buy a little gift for my grandmother.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 AM

14 posts, read 62,320 times
My best memory of Kenwood in the 60's was that McAlpins had a small toy department. I collectd Matchbox cars and at the time there weren't many places around town that sold them. Shopping trips to McAlpins were usually fun as I could check out the new vehicle inventory and maybe buy a Mercedes truck or Rolls if I had 69 cents to spare (I think they were 69 cents...)!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:08 PM

116 posts, read 194,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
There was!

It was located down by Kroger's and McAlpins.

I remember it because way back then I think it was open late on Christmas Eve and I went there to buy a little gift for my grandmother.
It also had a small soda fountain and restaurant.

I think that there was a shoe store either next door or two doors over.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1003 View Post
It also had a small soda fountain and restaurant.

I think that there was a shoe store either next door or two doors over.
I remember that the door was on the extreme left hand side of the store right next to the checkout counter. I may be wrong but I seem to remember a rear entrance, too, that also had a checkout.

It does sound right that there was a shoe store right around there. I can't think of the name. Also I kind of remember a jewelry store close by.

In the middle of the Plaza was a little mall area with stores along both sidewalks. Fannie Farmer was in the front and there was a barber shop and, I think, a record store toward the back. (If you want some real trivia one of the barbers was younger and had a new green 1964 Buick Gran Sport. One look at that car and I decided being a barber must be about as good as it gets.).

Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM

87 posts, read 307,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
In the middle of the Plaza was a little mall area with stores along both sidewalks. Fannie Farmer was in the front and there was a barber shop and, I think, a record store toward the back.
And a state liquor store was towards the back as well. I still remember that, even though I was still about 10 years away from legal drinking age.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
And a state liquor store was towards the back as well. I still remember that, even though I was still about 10 years away from legal drinking age.
Right!

I remember that now.

From the front Fannie Farmer and the State Store were on the left and the Barber Shop on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati