U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 AM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times

Advertisements

Kelcolo, Goshen Township is very close-knit, very friendly, and still very rural in attitude if not in fact. If you're going to live in a rural area, you're going to have to deal with the often prevailing pioneer attitude that a property owner is free to use his property as he sees fit, within local zoning ordinances.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. What about the older or small ranches or farmhouses in Goshen causes so much concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM

32 posts, read 93,396 times
The area we drove through to get to this particular home had a mix of some homes with larger lots / acres and some in more of a neighborhood mix. Some had vehicles parked on the yard (not driveway), some hadn't been painted in past 30 years, many just had poor upkeep in general, which I am concerned may hurt the value of other homes in the area. It is nice to hear it is a friendly, close-knit. Or does that mean the long-timers don't appreciate newcomers, or those who move into newly developed areas?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 PM

74 posts, read 248,035 times
I would avoid Terrace Park, I grew up there on Miami Ave. and let me tell you there could not be a more racist community in the city. Everytime that I and a black friend of mine walked down the street we wolud be stared at and have inappropriate comments yelled at us. The previous poster was right, it is just like Mayberry, racism included.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:00 AM

71 posts, read 196,320 times
Humlermw,
Hehe watch it now. There is a person on these forums who pushes TP very often in their post's.

What you describe is much the norm that seems to be very prevalent within the outer lying areas from the major cities here in Ohio. The stares, the unfriendly looks, I have witnessed myself. I'm the same as your friend who took strolls with you.

When me and my family was house hunting we ventured into southern part of Warren county and also in many areas within Butler county. I must admit a few folk have been congenial. But you can still feel the tension from most who saw us viewing the vacant homes.
I recall seeing a Rebel flag displayed in one person home window. That would have been a hoot to move in next door to them .

But in general the attitudes have existed as long as I can recall since I have grew up in southern Ohio. Still There is something that draws me to the areas such as the OP is interested in moving to also.

I could see if we were pulling up to the homes with a tricked out car with a loud car radio system and dressed like some rap star or something. Instead we came quietly driving a well maintained minivan, with quiet children, dressed casual.

Plus we have had all our shots! lol

Old 07-19-2008, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
Kelcolo, if you can be more specific with what you'd ideally like to have, it is possible to get more feedback from posters. Given that lot size is important to you, there are a number of details that likely matter to you that we could take into consideration as we comment. For instance, do you care if you are on flat land or if the property is uneven? Whole areas disappear from consideration if you need flat land, and that might help you narrow your search. Another issue is the percentage of the lot that is lawn/landscaped versus the percentage that is treed/wooded. Do you care if there is a creekbed in the front yard or the back yard? If the house is on a hill, does it need to be on the south face of that hill? (because the south face has an intrinsically higher value due to sunlight considerations, you'll find that you generally have to look outside I-275 to find large lots with good southern exposure; if you're okay with a northern exposure, there are several lots inside I-275 that might fit your needs). Do you need sidewalks in your community? What about a park within walking distance? Is it okay if you can hear the highway from your back yard?

If you can answer even some of these questions, I think you'll find some good responses from the locals. Although I am not a local (yet - we will move to Cincinnati in early September), I have done some research that may be of use to you. At the least, you should know how to access online county records for any property that interests you. If you do not know how to do this, let me know.

Best of luck,

Michael

Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 AM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcolo View Post
The area we drove through to get to this particular home had a mix of some homes with larger lots / acres and some in more of a neighborhood mix. Some had vehicles parked on the yard (not driveway), some hadn't been painted in past 30 years, many just had poor upkeep in general, which I am concerned may hurt the value of other homes in the area.
Here's a little tidbit about the Cincinnati region: It is a city of housing pockets, and that often extends into the suburbs and rural areas as well. There are desirable areas, and not-so-desirable areas ("desirable", of course, is in the eye of the beholder). They can and do touch up against each other. It's not unusual at all, especially in the areas you're looking in, for a million-dollar home on multiple acres to be adjacent to a small group of 1950s ranches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati