U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 AM

32 posts, read 93,473 times

Advertisements

We are new to Ohio, coming from Colorado. We are in temporary apartment housing now until we find a home. Looking for a very wooded private lot, 2+ acres, in the mid 300's to mid 400's. We have driven past several in the Batavia Township area, Goshen Township, Miami Township (Milford) Salem Township (Morrow), Waynesville, and Reily Township. As you can tell we've been all over, as we are so unfamiliar with the Cincinnati area.

Are any of these areas better or worse than the others as far as crime, schools, holding property values, etc.? We don't have school age children (they are older) so schools are important for resale only if necessary. It seems like all of the areas have a very diverse range of home values, which is unlike where we are moving from.

A little feedback would be much appreciated. We'd rather not get into a community/area and find that it is a less desirable location to live.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM

116 posts, read 195,608 times
I believe that all are fairly rural. Milford is up and coming. I know nothing about the school systems of any.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,567,314 times
My sister just left Milford out of frustration with the schools...the whole levy thing, busing, etc. She moved to Goshen and is freaking out there as well. My parents lived in Morrow (bought a little ranch on 15 acres back in 92 for under $100k and sold it 2 years ago for close to $300k INSANE. It is growing so fast out there. If anything..If your going to go out THAT far, check Clarkesville. I have a friend who lives there and her kids go to Clinton Massie and they love it. Very much into their sports too.
Does where you are commuting to work play into this? There are a lot of areas people can recommend if they have that general info. I think this site is GREAT for that help.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,232,195 times
The North East of Cinci (Maineville, Morrow, Lebanon, Waynesville, TurtleCreek Township, Clear Creek Township) is quite a nice area. The schools in Lebanon have achieved an "excellent" rating by the state of Ohio - but I can't tell you any more than that as we have no children at this time.

This whole area is growing quite a bit (spillover from Mason and Deerfield Twp) and there are many new developments, but still the area retains its rural feel (I can hear cows mooing at night).

Especially in the townships, though possibly in established neighborhoods you should be able to find 2+ acres. My neighborhood (new construction) is 1 acre with some larger lots. (one 2 acre and one 3 acre left). 300's to 400's is a fairly reasonable price range - even for building new - as long as you don't go "CUSTOM". If you are looking at pre-existing housing you should be fine in the price range as long as you do not look at custom homes.

Good luck with the move - I just relocated here last year from MI - so I know what a pain moving is!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 PM

35 posts, read 86,100 times
Default where to live in Cincinnati

Since you are looking generally on the Eastside, if you could live with less land, you should really look at Terrace Park. We stumbled on it after thinking we would live out East, and after moving a lot, it is truly the best place to raise kids. Kids walk to school and you see a hundred bikes just sitting out in front of the school because it is so safe. Kids walk home for lunch if they choose. There is a community pool, and almost all the sports are actually in Terrace Park, so depending on your age of kids, they can get themselves to practice. The elementary school is rated a 10 out of 10 by great schools, and the whole district is rated a 9.

We honestly came in thinking like you (land) but wouldn't trade what we have now. Its like Mayberry. To give you an example... all moms here that have a baby get dinners 3 days a week for usually 3 months from the community. You won't find any better.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM

I think the OP's children are older (not school age according the the post) - so while they're looking for good resale (i.e. family friendly) I don't think they need all the intensive child programs. Besides, if they're from Colorado - the land may be very hard to give up!!

As far as you're asking regarding values - the East Side (in general) seems to do better than the West. Why I'm not sure (I'm a transplant) - but there' s a definite perception among locals here (at least those I've worked with and spoken to) that the West Side is blue collar (and therefore less affluent) and the East Side is money.

For that reason - we stayed on the East Side (East of I-75 to be specific).

Also, if you look at a Map of Cinci - there's a "money triangle" that comes out of downtown -- Hyde Park, Indian Hill, Kenwood, Montgomery, Mason, etc... As the money has spread of out downtown - a lot has gone in these directions. We positioned ourselves (just outside of Lebanon) in this triangle.

That is not to say that there aren't other affluent areas with good resale in other parts of Cinci (Glendale, Wyoming) - but this "triangle" is a definite trend and also encompasses area where you might be able to get land.

I am still fairly new here, so I am unsure what the chances are of you finding a larger parcel of land in an established area - but I know in a lot of the townships (they are not built out) you should be fine.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 28,034 times
I can backup everything that is being said about Terrace Park. Don't look any further. You will not find a better place to raise kids anywhere else in Cincinnati or the US for that matter.

Houses in Terrace Park can get expensive, but you can find some good deals right now. You could probably find a semi-fixer upper, and make some huge equity pretty fast.

The school system (and quality of kids going to the school) is second to none. All the teachers know your kid(s), and all the moms watch out for each other kids.

Take a look look at Terrace Park... You will see what is being talked about with Terrace Park. You won't be disappointed.....

Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Am I the only one who see's that the original poster said their CHILDREN ARE OLDER, not school age and that school's are only important from a resale perspective?? i.e. any high rated school district would do?

It sounds to me like land, steady value, resale value are their main concerns. Not raising kids - because THEY HAVE ALREADY RAISED THEIR KIDS.

If Terrace Park has ACREAGE available, please speak to that - I realize everyone here is a cheerleader for their specific community, but sheesh - at least address the relevant question the OP had!!!

THEY DON'T HAVE LITTLE KIDS!!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 AM

31,259 posts, read 57,446,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcolo View Post
We have driven past several in the Batavia Township area, Goshen Township, Miami Township (Milford) Salem Township (Morrow), Waynesville, and Reily Township.
All these areas are semi-rural but growing. I'm not familiar with Butler County (Reily Township) at all, but as for the other areas, I'm thinking that Miami Township especially, as well as Batavia Township or Wayne Township/Waynesville would be best for holding property values. My perception of crime is pretty equal for all of them; Miami Township is a little more densely populated, if that means anything as far as crime.

School districts ... Six of one, half-dozen of the other. As far as community support of the schools -- both $$ and in volunteerism, etc., -- I'd say Wayne schools stand out the most. Batavia schools are growing rapidly as the farmland in the district is built up. Milford has had some problems in the past with money, voters rejecting levies and forcing board turnover etc. (not always a bad thing ... ), but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad school district. Little Miami (Salem Township) and Goshen schools are OK.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 AM

32 posts, read 93,473 times
Thanks everyone! We still have some on our list to see this weekend, but we found one we are keeping on the list that in what is considered Goshen. It is in a small subdivision area of 3+ acre homes that are quite new (about 1/2 of the lots still available). To get to the home, we drove through an area that was small, older homes, many pretty run down though. These were in a close proximity to this newer area. That is my only concern right now, and I will be doing some research on Goshen in general. We are heading to Waynesville, Reily Township, and Salem Township (Morrow) this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati