Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:01 PM

292 posts, read 993,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee/Seattle View Post
This thread makes me very sad. I currently live in Seattle and have for 10years. I l love everything about seattle including the rain. Customer service, culture diversity, whole foods---organic stores, friendly smiling people. The mountains, the ocean the rain forest...you name it I love it. Oh yeah let me not forget sushi! ...
Yeah, Yeah and all the rest of it. Why was the sound track from the Wizard of OZ playing in my head as I read all the above thread? "OH we OH, OHH we OH." LOL!

Ya know Cincinnati has everything you listed except the mountains. I can be in the Big South Fork of TN in a few hours so even the mountains are possible. We've got Churches galore. I go to Biker's Church. I've been to the Crossroads Church (Google it) There is even an alternative lifestyle church in OTR. There is a huge Islamic Mosque right down the road from a huge Christian Church. I've yet to see any bombs being lobbed between the two houses of worship. I've found that in Cincinnati I have to take charge of my life. If I want to talk to someone I have to go up and talk to them. No one comes around and asks "Can I be your friend?" People here cocoon so they are usually glad to talk to someone.

Festivals in Hamilton County: Hispanic, Germanic, Latino, Lebanese, African, Appalachian, Greek, Italian (All right Italian is in Newport.), Irish and probably some I can't think of. Yes Cincinnati has it's racist areas. Tell me why you would live there.

I want to know if Seattle is so great why have you not filled your life there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 AM

450 posts, read 1,202,970 times
Agree 100% old south exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
My father grew up in Cincinnati (Over the Rhine), and some of his relatives still live there. My grandfather is buried there. Cincinnati is right next to Kentucky (the airport is in Kentucky), and it feels very "Old South", though not in a good way.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 AM

71 posts, read 229,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorst View Post

When someone asks me where I'm from they are trying to pidgeon hole me it's true. However I believe they are also searching for commonality. They may have a cousin that went to school where I did. That gives a starting place for conversation. In response to the question "Where did you go to school?" I'll offer where I went to school in the city (not Cincinnati) I'm from. Then I'll ask where they went to school. I'll ask about the school. If the response is a Catholic School I'll usually make a joke about how long after high school before they started dating. LOL! I take the school question as merely a polite way to engage in conversation.
I know what you mean. I usually ask people this question to strike a cord of conversation. It would be hard to pigeon hole me I think. You see I have lived all over and went to many school's in the 70s-80's-90s.

Winton Terrace Elementary
St. Leo's
St. Boniface
Bond Hill Elementary
Springdale Elementary
Martin Luther King School

When I went to some of the school way back then we integrated some of then lol. I remember being shipped off to the northside of Cincy back then and the many fights between the kids because of race. But I will tell you this. There was a kid I went to school with at St. Boniface who I loved dearly as a friend. His name was Daniel (Danny)Jones.He was a caucasian kid and I'm black.

We had some of the most fun times in Catholic School. I remember one time getting called out by the priest in Mass on Wednesday's when me and him were horse playing lol. That was really embarrassing that day and I still can feel it.

When I was coming up in Cincy in the 70s-80s there was just some places as a young black kid you did not go. Places like the Northside, College Hill, far east of downtown and west of downtown was not the safe place for me.

All in all I miss those days.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 PM

16 posts, read 135,336 times
regarding "diversity" questions:
remember, most of the nonsense spewed out by CNN in 2001 (& since by others) was chiefly from the viewpoint of the ridiculously liberal media; combine that with a plethora of "rhyming reverends" & you get the mistaken notion is comparable to the antebellum South or, for that matter, Nazi Germany. The fact is, most of Cincinnati's "racial" issues centered around white cops doing their jobs effectively (i.e. Timothy Thomas, Owensby, etc.). Most of the attention drawn to this great city, in 2001 & thereafter, was encouraged by the wrong sorts of people--charlatans like Damon Lynch & other race-hustlers who made (& continue to make) excuses for animalistic & irresponsible behavior.
Enuff said.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
Every year or two the police seem to shoot an African American, sparking protests.
Asearchforreason, I beg to differ with you; the police don't "shoot African Americans" they shoot lawbreakers. If you are doing something stupid and the cops show up, it would be a very good thing if you stop what you are doing and cooperate. You don't run away in a dark alley. You don't make a sudden move that looks like you are reaching for a gun. If you are a crack head all hopped up and going wild, you should expect that police officers would use reasonable force to subdue and arrest you. So maybe there are a few rogue cops. The way to handle that is cooperate on the scene and take isue with the officer's conduct later with those higher in his chain of command.

I GUARANTEE you that if this white guy who lives in a good neighborhood N of Cincy sold drugs, broke into houses or shot someone, ANYONE in my neighborhood that saw me would report me. They DARN sure wouldn't riot in the streets if I were arrested; they'd say that I got what I deserved.

As for the above comments to the lack of good jazz clubs, poetry readings, etc. in Cincy, I can relate. I'd like to see more of that and I hope that entreprenuers will see a market for such activities. I'm not going to lie, I'm a 52 year old white guy and probably wouldn't go very often to either. I work 60 hours/week and I belong to two old truck clubs that take up a fair amount of my off-duty time. I'm fortunate that I have those activities and that there are others in the Tri-state who share my interests. I'm sure I'd be frustrated if I didn't have those "support groups"

I welcome ANYONE into my neighborhood as long as they behave and keep their property up to neighborhood standards. It's about vharacter, not color...

Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 12,453 times
Default Another side to Cincinnati

After reading the post, I too am glad that I am moving but for some very different reasons. That being said, if you are still committed to moving to Cincinnati, you may want to consider some communities that are very diverse, but within the City limits. College Hill comes to mind. This community has an excellent community council and neighborhood school that functions well as the “unofficial” feeder program for the School for Creative and Performing Arts. In addition, the neighborhood has a redevelopment and community liaison extension that supports local businesses. Here is the link for your review and consideration.

The City’s relocation department may also be a resource for you as you carefully consider your options. Kind in mind, that there are many incentives such as tax abatements that you may qualify for if you consider moving within City limits.

City of Cincinnati Relocation Services: 513-352-6146

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/

College Hill Community Council President: Elizabeth Sherwood P.O. Box 24160 esherwood@mrj.cc
513-542-7263 (O)

Community Council Meets at the College Hill Rec. Ctr. 4th Tuesday Forum at
1549 Larry Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45224
www.collegehill.info/ 513-768-5222 (H) 5545 Belmont Ave. 7:00 p.m.

P.S. If you can come and visit, I would recommend that you visit the College Hill Coffee House located at Hamilton Avenue and North Bend Road.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
After I went back and read this old thread which someone decided it was necessary to revive, I found fault with much of what had been said in it.

As TomJones123 said... Yes there's racism, that cannot be denied. The places I visit frequently I hear people using the 'N' word and worse with reference to our President. If it continues I will finally come out with something like You are just overbrimming with class aren't you knowing it is going to lead to a can't win argument. Frankly most of the time the ones I hear this out of are older adults. It is like they have never grown up.

Overall I am hopeful conditions have improved. I see kids walking home from school together and apparently just interacting as kids do. I see them coming through our neighborhood running on conditioning programs for the sports teams. The kids are where the long term differences have to come from. Those growing up in a family environment where the parents are poisoning them against other races is a tough nut to crack.

My son lives in a highly integrated small neighborhood in the City. When I say integrated I do not mean one side of town is white and the other black, this is literally every other house. It was a small subdivision, one of the few places in the City where you could buy a new house almost 20 years go, carved out of a hilltop. I will have to say the majority of the neighbors are professionals of one type or another. Maybe it is their recognition of what it takes to succeed in the business world, but they apply it in their personal lives. They have block parties during the summer, probably more than any other area of the City. My grandkids grew up just inviting their friends over to play, race was not a factor. But no one seemed to make a big deal out of it. So my grandkids have grown up in a mixed race environment, and think nothing of it.

As I said, it is the kids which must make the difference. Which is why I so enthusiastically support the WCG. These young people are from all over the world and barely above kids themselves.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
^^ Great points Brill. Usually ignorance and racism go hand in hand. And that goes for all races, because there are certainly black, brown, etc people who do not like white people because they are white. I am raising my son to respect cultural differences but not identify people based on skin color. He could care less what races other kids are. At the playground he will simply join right in and play along with other kids. And that's the way I want him to be.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 AM

7 posts, read 9,847 times
I love Cincinnati. Never have enough time to do what Cincinnati has to offer. I would recommend anybody to move here. Guess that makes me "backwards".

BTW, I'm a transplanted Cincinnatian who lives on the westside.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^ Great points Brill. Usually ignorance and racism go hand in hand. And that goes for all races, because there are certainly black, brown, etc people who do not like white people because they are white. I am raising my son to respect cultural differences but not identify people based on skin color. He could care less what races other kids are. At the playground he will simply join right in and play along with other kids. And that's the way I want him to be.
That is a great attitude and the way it should be. I only caution that as he ages certain ugly distractions will raise their heads. Keep nurturing him with the human ideals you believe in. But if we are to achieve the American ideal, which I identify as One Nation under God with Liberty and Justice for All, we have to beat down the attacks from all angles.

The interpretation of God is subject to a large set of variations, but I will defend the right of the individual to worship their own deity as they see fit as long as it does not violate the rights of others. The Liberty and Justice for All is much more straightforward to analyze. You should be availed of the opportunity to earn a decent living, raise a family, and enjoy your life. If you are being deprived of this society is failing you. But you are also obligated to contribute your own part - this is not a free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati