U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,938,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
We could be in serious jeopardy to lose one or even 2 of the big 4 just because of the economy. I wouldn't want a team to come knowing what's going on in this country.
people aren't gonna stop spending money/time on sports. if anything, the worse this country gets, the more people will use sports as a get-away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:31 PM

44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
What?

Hillside,

All of these metro areas are larger than Cincinnatis and dont currently have an NBA team. I think we can all agree that most of these also have more money to spare than Cincinnati:
Riverside
Seattle
San Diego
St. Louis
Tampa
Baltimore
Pittsburgh

Cincinnati would also be competing with these:
Kansas City
Las Vegas
San Jose
Columbus
Virginia Beach
Austin
Nashville

For the CSA, there are also 3 ahead of Cincinnati. If you added Dayton to the CSA, Cincinnati is the next in line though.
This means Cincinnati will just have to work harder. Never say never.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 PM

236 posts, read 602,016 times
Never...I'd focus on my energy on somthing else.

As stated in an earlier post, the NBA is going to focus on cities like OKC, such as Vegas, VBeach where they can command all the dollars and civic support.

Population is not as important anymore. They are hugely successful in markets like Orlando, SLC, Sacramento and Portland and should continue to be with that business model. I would also expect them to look internationally before Cincinnati.

Cincinnati's time is done for pro league expansion, unless someone like Uncle Carl thought it was worth bringing the team here. IMO, I dont think people really care enough.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:01 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,345,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
columbus is too close to cleveland. this is a cavs town. 1.8 mil columbus, 3.1 mil cincinnati. wouldn't be a sound business decision.

dayton? c'mon daytonnatian, you can't be for real. while you're at it, go ahead and put the wolves in st. paul, the mavs in fort worth, move the airport out the state...
Well...

May I mention Green Bay? And Tampa Bay, Anaheim, and Oakland?

These are all smaller cities that can support a major league sport. Sure, some of them may be within close proximity of large cities (Tampa, Los Angeles, San Francisco), but Dayton is within an hour and a half of roughly 6 million people, can draw from 3 different metro areas (4 if the Pacers are doing bad), and is in the heart of the vast basketball belt, which spans from the extreme western edges of our state to thruoghout Indiana. In fact, Greencastle, Indiana, which has a basketball hall of fame of some sort, is roughly halfway between Dayton at 70/75 and Downtown Indy.

Also, even if Dayton wasn't able to pull from the Cincy and Columbus metro areas for whatever reason, I would think that many that lived in the Dayton region would be proud to have a major league basketball team in their hometown, much like Green Bay is proud of having football in theirs. Much like Green Bay loves their pigskin, Daytonians REALLY love their hoops.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM

710 posts, read 2,648,678 times
realistically dayton doesn't have a shot at a pro team

Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM

44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Never...I'd focus on my energy on somthing else.

As stated in an earlier post, the NBA is going to focus on cities like OKC, such as Vegas, VBeach where they can command all the dollars and civic support.

Population is not as important anymore. They are hugely successful in markets like Orlando, SLC, Sacramento and Portland and should continue to be with that business model. I would also expect them to look internationally before Cincinnati.

Cincinnati's time is done for pro league expansion, unless someone like Uncle Carl thought it was worth bringing the team here. IMO, I dont think people really care enough.
Why?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:15 PM

236 posts, read 602,016 times
Why what? I take that back...if Cincinnati really changed, I mean, really changed, like started gaining 50,000 per per year (metro) or lost the Reds or Bengals, or for some reason became something that its not...it might get another team.

Hey, I dont want to discourage anybody from promoting their town, but I personally think that it better spending time and money on something that may actually happen. Kind of like Cincy's Olympic bid a few years back, but not as crazy...A waste of time (but perhaps, I just didnt have the time, money, or passion to give a damn.)

Old 11-29-2008, 10:21 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Why what? I take that back...if Cincinnati really changed, I mean, really changed, like started gaining 50,000 per per year (metro) or lost the Reds or Bengals, or for some reason became something that its not...it might get another team.

Hey, I dont want to discourage anybody from promoting their town, but I personally think that it better spending time and money on something that may actually happen. Kind of like Cincy's Olympic bid a few years back, but not as crazy...A waste of time (but perhaps, I just didnt have the time, money, or passion to give a damn.)
We've got a 700-footer under construction, along with a $1 billion dollar mixed development *across the street* under construction, which includes condos, apartments, retail, and entertainment ... save the tears & whining for another thread.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:53 PM

414 posts, read 1,127,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
We've got a 700-footer under construction, along with a $1 billion dollar mixed development *across the street* under construction, which includes condos, apartments, retail, and entertainment ... save the tears & whining for another thread.
What the hell does this have to do with anything, especially the quote you are attacking?

You never have anything except meaningless stats and project updates to add. Why don't you try to comeback with some rationale once in a while.

Unless the NBA plans to play in the new 700 ft tower or in center of the Banks, I don't really think they give a rat's a$$ about your little projects.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:36 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
What the hell does this have to do with anything, especially the quote you are attacking?

You never have anything except meaningless stats and project updates to add. Why don't you try to comeback with some rationale once in a while.

Unless the NBA plans to play in the new 700 ft tower or in center of the Banks, I don't really think they give a rat's a$$ about your little projects.
Why don't you take 0.3 extra seconds to read ... *******.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati